“Honeymooners - Great Service, Great Stay”

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed August 28, 2005

It may sound redundant but it is really true - amazing service at the FS. From the moment you get out of your car, to the front desk, to getting directions, dinner reservations, activity reservations - the whole nine yards.

Our favorite part was being led to covered chairs overlooking the beach and having servers bring drinks and free water refills and even an Evian spritz if you need it.

We dined at Ferraro's and Spago. Skip Spago and definitely reserve a table overlooking the ocean at Ferraro's for the amazing sunset. Great service at Ferraro's too. I would also recommend: David Paul's (chef's tasting menu), Sansei, Mama's Fish House, Jawz Fish Tacos, Old Lahaina Luau, Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour and biking down the volcano. Stay clear of the Road to Hana.

I would definitely go back to FS in a heartbeat as long as I don't drop dead from the prices.

12  Thank fivetools
Write a ReviewReviews (5,363)

Reviewed August 25, 2005

If you are looking for a first class hotel with first class service for an intimate getaway in Maui, look no further... Four Seasons Wailea is the perfect location. We not only stayed at the FS, we held an intimate wedding there in July. Everything was absolutely phenomenal.

FS vs. Other Wailea Resorts:
We were having a hard time deciding between FS and the other resort in Wailea and Kapalua. In a nutshell, this is what we were told and, we confirmed it after visiting the different hotels. Kapalua is very beautiful, peaceful, and private. They have some very nice hotels there (Ritz, Kapalua Bay); however, the weather is often wet up in that part of the island. At Wailea, we were torn between the FS and the Fairmont Kea Lani. We selected the FS for the intimacy and the service they provide, especially for weddings. We were not dissappointed. The Kea Lani is a more impressive looking hotel (the grounds, the lobby, the room size, the pool). But the FS is more intimate and provides the personal touch. The Grand Wailea is good if you want a lively party like atmosphere or if you have kids. But it's a bit busy for us honeymooners. Avoid the Renaissance Wailea. It's okay if you can get a great deal but it's not what I would call a five or even four star establishment. We stayed there for 2 nights after we checked out of the FS and regretted it.

The Four Seasons Wailea:
The grounds are beautiful but the lobby and entrance is a bit tame compared to some of the other Wailea resorts. The rooms are equally comfortable and well decorated, but the "ocean view" is only partial. Not too many rooms directly face the ocean. We had an Ocean View room on the Club Level and our room has a view of the ocean from the side. It directly looks into the Courtyard but you can see the ocean on the left side. It's a gorgeous room but just wanted to set the expecation that it's not oceanfront even though we paid $800+ a night. But what we liked about the FS is how they treat you. The service is not pretentious, not intrusive. Just very polite, friendly, and efficient. They provide you pretty much whatever you need and want, even though it's not on the menu or not a typical request. And the concierge staff is absolutely amazing. The beds are very comfortable, furniture very modern, and the bathroom was amazing both in size and decor. Great toilettries too. The best part is, everything is included in your stay (e.g. the cabanas, nice cushioned beach and pool chaise, snorkel rentals).

The Spa and Restaurants:
We dined at Spago and Ferraro's. We liked Ferraro's more than Spago. The ambiance is nicer (outdoors under a canopy of stars with tikki torches all around you and Don and Vance playing romantic music as you dine well prepared and efficiently served food), and we thought the food was better. What we had at Spago that we thought was amazing is the poke. That was to die for. My wife who does not even like sushi loved the poke. We had a couple massage at the Spa and used their facilities a couple of times. We thought is was only okay. We did the oceanside bungalow massage and kinda wished we did the indoor one instead. It was a bit noisy outside.

• Stayed: July 2005
13  Thank Mr_Skydiver
Reviewed August 25, 2005

Wife & I just returned after spending five wonderful nights at Four Seasons in Maui. The words just can't describe what a fabulous place it is. The grounds are beautiful and meticulously manicured. The beach is beautiful and not too crowded. The Fountain pool and waterfall pool, both are superb. Rooms have every possible amenity you could think of and many you couldn't even think of...shoe horns, umbrella, "itsy-bitsy book light", free shoe shine service, DVD player, etc, etc.

The food at Spago's is out of this world. Very pricey, of course, and the portions are pretty small, but probably the best food I have ever tasted.
Food quality at the other two restaurants is just average to good.

Four Seasons does not nickle & dime you. Parking is free, as are the beach umbrellas, chaise lounges, poolside cabanas, avian spritzers at the poolside, ice water drinks, chilled fruits, etc.

But the best part of this resort is impeccable service. You are treated like a royalty. The staff goes out of their way to please you. I could give you dozens of examples but then it would sound like a paid commercial. How about the Bellman who, after loading up our car as we were leaving the resort, ran in and brought us two chilled bottles of Avian for our trip to the airport!

We had a minor problem. On our last evening, all of the three restaurants were completely booked and room service was so overwhelmed that it took them almost 90 minutes to bring our dinner. Of course, I complained.
The room service manager called & "profusely" apologized and waived the charge for the dinner. The next morning, at the check out, the cashier apologized too. As soon as we got back home, someone from Four Seasons management called our house to again apologize and ask if there was anything else they could do for us!

Four Seasons, Maui is often rated as the best resort in maui and rightly so.

8  Thank msiqbalmd
Reviewed August 22, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the FS in July for 3 nights, 20th anniv. Had lovely partial ocean view room overlooking the croquet grounds. Ground level room with walk-about the beautifully landscaped grounds. The staff sent a complimentary bottle of bubbly, and I had a $100 flower arrangement sent beforehand. The flowers were ordered throught the concierge and were fabulous!

Do the couples beach massage! Ablolutely wonderful. Rec. the bed and breakfast package, as the breakfast is $28 ea. ala carte' , and a great deal with the room.

Service is FS quality, and room attentiveness was addressed very quickly with a "Jackson" and written request of the times that I would like the room turned down and made up. Treat the staff well, they will really take care of you.

Ferraros food was very good, not great. The restaurant area by the beach is beautiful, but alot of the patrons there want to go get their picture done as the sun goes down, this interrupts everyones dinner, and the staff's routine.

Also did dinner at the Seawatch restaurant, don't waste your time. Service was terrible but food was ok, not terrific.

FS is one of the nicer hotels I've stayed in. Pricey, hey this is HI, and the Four Seasons. Very highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank cavfilr
Reviewed August 22, 2005

Good times at the Four Season Maui!! I made my reservations 3 months ago. We stayed in room 697 full ocean view at 745 per night. If you can not afford this hotel, stay someplace else. I purchased a glass of Pink Champagne and a glass of Chardonnay at dinner. You get what you pay for. The hotel was very nice and the food was good. The Italian restaurant was the best. Portions were small but better than leaving and eating at the Tommy Bahamas down the road in the shopping center. Breakfast was somewhat crowded with empty tables; this includes the restaurants. They must hold a few tables for the “rich and famous” or the kitchen can not keep up with the demand. Not a problem for us on this visit and I know I am not famous. lol
Funny how the last reviewer compared to the Far East Hotel; I didn’t fear for my life in Maui!! Lol Apple against oranges here.
There were three pools, two adult and one kiddy and of course the beach!! One very cool water fall and all the water fountains were nice visual effect as well. We had a great time hanging out by the pools and shopping at the hotel. The drinks by the pool were some what expensive but they were made with good quality products….like fresh fruit and only the best mixers. I would suggest the fresh blended pineapple served in the pineapple, Lava Flow and of course the Blue Hawaii! You’ll have to have one to appreciate it and worth every penny.
We also booked a scuba diving, snorkel adventure, surfing lessons and a round of golf all with the hotel. This is the best way because there are some cheesy venders for some of those events; i.e. free if you visit a time share!! Don’t fall for it. Your time on the island is more valuable. The 4 Seasons picks the company’s that are safe, good and it’s an easy bill to your room.
Cons: All 380 rooms were booked and you could see the staff was a bit over worked to keep up. The hotel has several Alcohol licenses, e.g. pool, each restaurant, lobby, room, etc. They must have had been issues with walking around with the booze …..Or they just want you to buy a drink at every location or there had been some under age drinking.
They really cover there assets on this resort. They don’t want to get in trouble so they have some restrictions more so than other 4 season resorts…none you can not live with. The pool is open 24 hours, newspaper, 24 hour room service, laundry service and other 5 star hotel services. I didn’t here the word no.
There was a wedding or event every night but not in an area that will disturb.
Feel free to email me if you want additional information and pictures. My girlfriend and I had a great time. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Gary

8  Thank blueacura
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed August 21, 2005

Late reveiw...just found the site a few months ago....

Went to the four seasons for my huneymoon. I had been with my family to hawaiian islands several times before. I was disapointed in the four seasons...esp for the rate and price of just about everything. Lunch at the pool was $100.00.

What I did n0t like was; a tiny pool and very little space to relax, lack of culture (I felt like i was at a four seasons in LA), Spagos i did not enjoy one minute, the hotel room was fairly old, the valet got my name giganticly wrong every single time...I would not usually mind...but on a h'moon you want your wife being addressed by the correct name.

What I did like; the bed, the people working the hotel (minus front desk), the food by the pool, the gym, lots of extras they do not charge for....the bathrooms...

What would really make this hotel for me would be another pool twice the size maybe an infinit pool and nicer set up at the beach.

To me this hotel could use some work.

• Stayed: September 2004
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 21, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons for 5 nights of our 10 day/11 night honeymoon. We have traveled a good amount and spent time in luxury hotels with our parents, but we were blown away by the service, the beauty, and the sheer aura of this resort. We were not upgraded as the resort was quite full, but we knew that ahead of time, and spent the extra money for the view we wanted. Within minutes of getting to our room, room service arrived with a complimentary chilled bottle of champagne. The room was well appointed, spacious, and had a huge bathroom. It also included a good sized balcony. The pool area is somewhat small, but there are multiple nooks (on a grass lawn and elsewhere) where cabanas are also available, and these views are even more spectacular than sitting RIGHT by the pool. Beachside service with complimentary cabanas is also available and quickly turned into our favorite place to lounge. There is also excellent snorkeling off the Four Seasons beach. The spa and steam room facilities are to die for, with an oceanside "lomi lomi" massage the ultimate in relaxation and luxury. The food and drink, as others point out, is pricey, but it is also quite good. We opted for a "bed and breakfast" package which included a large buffet each morning, and it more than paid for itself. The famous Spage and less famous Ferraros were very good. The cost of the few amenities you do have to pay for still makes the experience worth it. The resort - and any time spent on maui - is a definite "splurge," but an excellent way to celebrate a special time or event.

9  Thank DC_CoPi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!