“Had a great week”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Minnesota
“Had a great week”
Reviewed March 7, 2009

We stayed here for a week while my spouse had a conference at the Grand Wailea. We were here with our preschooler and our infant and had a great time. The resort staff was professional and always there when we needed them. Our kids had a great time splashing in the kiddie pool (not as warm as we would have liked) and playing in the sand. The pack & play and free cabanas were a big plus - we didn't have to pay for anything and it was nice to be able to come & go as we pleased - we didn't feel like "We paid $200 for a cabana; we need to stay here all day to get our money's worth."
We were there for 8 days and our kids probably got snacks in our room on 4 or 5 of them. The fridge was great for storing water & milk. The bathroom was huge, with kid-friendly toiletries and an infant tub provided. The kids amenities in general were great - a crib w/actual crib sheets, diapers, stepstool for the bathroom, infant tub, etc. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating - our preschooler fell asleep during an early dinner at Spago and I didn't have a blanket - staff brought out a tablecloth for me to use as a blanket till we got back to our room. The pool staff were wonderful with extra towels and treats - fresh cut fruit, popsicles, water, etc. I second the call to attend the manager's reception - they have maitais, water, and wine, but brought out milk for our kids.
The hotel restaurants were tasty, but we only ate at Spago once and Duo (for dinner once and breakfast twice). The food was great, though expensive. We paid a lot of money for a steak at Duo - but it was excellent and the service was impeccable. We had gone to Cafe O'Lei in Kihei the night before for steak and left more than half of it - it was inedible, unseasoned, and tough. I'd rather pay $50 for a steak I'll eat than $25 for a steak I won't. The breakfast was great - and they gave us to-go containers for snacks for our kids (fresh fruit, a bagel). If you eat the breakfast, you won't need to eat until 6 or 7 at night.
My spouse went over to the Grand Wailea every day and commented on how huge it was. I loved the scale of the Four Seasons. I wouldn't hesitate to go back - we just need to save up the money first!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank mcgee_w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,226)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Colorado
Reviewed March 7, 2009

WOW!!!

Great experience here. From the moment you walk into the lobby, you know that you are in for something special. This architecture and design of this place is very classy but casual. They did a fabulous job of making you feel like you are at the best resort on the island without making it feel stuffy and pretentious. I loved the open airy feel of the lobby and lounge. Its a great spot for a drink to watch sunset and listen to live soft music.

We paid for a garden view room and were upgraded to a partial ocean view one bedroom suite. The room was so nice, almost too nice because it makes you want to spend more time in your room and less time at the beach! The bathroom was huge and had an awesome makeup area for the ladies. The alarm clocks have an ipod docking station which was really nice. Oh, and in the bathroom there is a sound system with four or five types of music you can listen to. I put on the Hawaiian music every night while I got ready for dinner. Very nice touch. The rooms had two large plasma tvs, two closets, a dining room, a living room, a large bedroom, large bathroom, and two lanai's facing the ocean. The only thing I didn't like about this room was that it was on the outer perimeter of the hotel and in the morning around five thirty you could hear a faint beeping noise from the delivery trucks backing in the service area of the hotel. It wasn't extremely loud though and everything else about the hotel made it seem very unimportant.

The pool was gorgeous!! The attendants at the pool are great. You walk up to the pool and scope out a spot to sit and they instantly come to greet you with towels in arm and find you a spot, set up your lounge chairs with the towels, and then the bring you ice water. There are stations with free suntan lotion in SPF 8,15, and 30. Throughout the day the attendants come by with fresh fruit, cucumbers for your eyes, popcicles, jello, muffins, etc. They wait on you hand and foot and bring you food and drinks if you want. Poolside lunch doesn't come cheap though. Expect to pay $12 for a mai tai and $30 for a burger and fries. I got the mixed sushi and shrimp platter each day which came with four pieces of sashimi ahi tuna, four pieces of a california roll, and four pieces of shrimp and it was $34.

There are two large hottubs at the pool that are kept at the perfect temp. The pool was too cold to swim in, for me but I did see a few brave souls tough it out.

There are three restaurants on site as well as a lounge area in the lobby where you can order food. We ate in all four locations. Ferraros was by far the best meal we ate. The setting was amazing. Spago was a disappointment. Duo is where we ate breakfast and it was nice, but also very expensive. Basically, don't come to this hotel unless you are comfortable with spending $1500 a day on room and food, at a minimum.

The beach off the hotel is very nice. The best sand I've ever walked on! Some nice scuba and snorkel there as well. We also rented kayaks and saw some whales; there are tons just playing around in the water right off the resort. I believe the kayaks were free for the first hour and are $5 each hour after. The food and rooms at this place are expensive, but they do not nickel and dime you for stuff and there are a lot of great amenities that come with this place. You will have tons of L'Occitane products in your room, the snorkel and kayaks are free to use, you get free suntan lotion, free internet, free exercise facilities and classes, you get spoiled and pampered at the pool, and when we left, the valet packed water and towels in our car for our ride on the road to Hana. I said, "But we arent coming back, so we wont' return the towels" and he said to me "you spend 10K on a trip here. we don't care about a few towels".

One of the things I liked the most about this place is how small the resort feels. We walked over to Grand Wailea next door and that place felt so big, almost like walking through a casino in vegas where you are totally lost and disoriented because its a maze and so big. Not to mention, their ground were run down and after a half hour of walking around there, I was like "Get me out of this ghetto!". The Four Seasons is so much nicer and feels a lot more intimate. If you are trying to decide between the two, go with Four Seasons. There is no comparison.

Overall, there is so much to love about this place. If you can swing it financially, definitely give this place a visit. You will want to move in, I promise you that!! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
9 Thank Mleighp1
Seattle
Reviewed March 4, 2009

We love staying in luxury hotels and resorts and love to try different places. Last year we stayed at the Four Seasons and by the second day we were ready to book again! This second stay was even better than the first. Members of the staff remembered us by name. Comfortable beds, We are treated like Royalty by all staff members. To put it simply. I have favorite restaurants that I frequent and, even though I know they have several great entrees, I always order the same one over and over. Maui is the restaurant and the Four Seasons is the entree. We'll be back again next February.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JazzManSeattle
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 4, 2009

We stay here and at the Grand Wailea next door. Four Season is EXCELLENT. Very clean and beautiful. Close to the beach.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Four days in the Four Seasons Maui in January gives you the headline – What’s not to like? In short, not much. Having stayed at a number of Four Seasons over the years there are clearly high expectations – and these are almost always met – as was the case here. Being in Maui, doesn’t hurt, but location aside, the Four Seasons continues to deliver high quality top notch customer service in an unobtrusive manner. I believe I have written in other postings that I prefer the Four Seasons over the Ritz for this reason.

If you haven’t stayed at the Four Seasons before, go. If you have, then you know that you should go back. Of course, the downside to any Four Seasons is not the service but the dreaded check at the end of the stay. Of course, by then you are so relaxed and in bliss hopefully you won’t notice.

Duo – the restaurant downstairs has some fantastic food and great atmosphere. It comes recommended with a word of caution about the size of the bill – it can sneak up on you. Spago upstairs is also extremely good and is also recommended. I didn’t try out the room service or the bar food so I can’t comment on these.

The rooms are extra large (some would say huge and I wouldn’t dispute that) and the housekeeping is top notch – like much of the service here – efficient yet unobtrusive and hardly seen. The pool was perfect and the beach is just a few steps away.

If you are into snorkeling – you can go down the street just a bit to “Turtle Town” or Makena beach/point. Snorkeling there is very good and there is a bathroom and outdoor shower to rinse off.

The one potential weakness of the hotel was the internet, which is priced at $13 per day, and was having a series of bad hair days when we were there. The staff worked on the issues but I am not sure that it was within their control.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank ordflyer
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We stayed at the four seasons feb 23-26. We received a complimentary upgrade to an ocean view room. The room, the service and the location was flawless! I went to work out and someone brought me a drink and a towel and head phones! Everyone greets you with a smile and a warm welcome. If you are sitting at the pool, attendants offer towels, water sptrizes, watermelon pieces, water, even sunscreen all for free! They also have a drinks and snacks for purchase.

There are also 5-6 free classes offered every day, free internet (computers in the game room) and hula dances in the evening in the lobby.

The Four Seasons gets it right! Complete luxury and indulgent pampering.

The only "negative" is the quality of the food. My friends and I are foodies and the quality of food and service at Spago's was underwhelming - especially for the price. Orchids in Waikiki was far superior all around as far as restaurants go.

I would definitely visit the Four Seasons again; a phenomenal experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Geetika
Orange County, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2009

From our first time on the phone with them to the day we checked out...the service at this hotel is impecable! These people remember your name everywhere and great you accordingly. Hello Mr. so and so and the pool, hello Mr and Mrs. so and so at the front desk. Everyone there knows your name! It makes your experience awsome!

Not only are the facilities and location absolutely gorgeous! The spa, pool, and beach are amaxing. I cant wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank seetheworld006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Four Seasons? Share your experiences!