“The best of Maui”

Morris County, New Jersey
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,952 helpful votes
“The best of Maui”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had a great stay in this resort. It was our second time on Maui and we were not disappointed. We arrived late and were not happy with the room.The hotel was fully booked and even though we were promised an upgrade,none was available. In the morning I received a phone call that an upgrade was available at a relatively small daily surcharge and I was very happy to take it .From than on, everything was perfect. Our room was on a high floor with an ocean view and a balcony. Totally worth it. We loved it so much, that we had two room service dinners on the balcony during our 12 day stay. The bathroom was very spacious with Hawaiian music piped in.The buffet breakfast was included, great selection of everything you may want to eat. Plenty of fresh fruit. The dining room would get very busy, but servers got to know you by name very quickly and remembered your preferences (seating,coffee,even the blended juice I came up with)
The cabanas and chairs are on first come bases.The best ones -from our point of view-cabana on the grassy top of the property with full ocean view were in great demand. I was getting up early (6:30) to get there at 7AM. Same competition was for the serenity pool (no kids), much smaller area with fewer seats and umbrellas. You are given time to leave for breakfast while your seats stay reserved. Normally, I would not like to get up this early, but the time change (coming from the East coast) made it easy. I was up early anyway! We rented a car so we could move around and sightsee and go out for dinners. Early walks on the beach were beautiful, as well as the sunsets, from a restaurant , serenity pool or just our balcony. Massage by the serenity pool was amazing! We had dinners in all of the restaurants on the property. Spago had the best food and service, Ferraro's best view of sunset and Duo (more casual) was somewhat disappointing. We also enjoyed delicious drinks and snacks in the lobby lounge. We are returning to Four Seasons on the Big Island,Hawaii next year!
This review was long overdue, we do a lot of traveling and I am just slowly catching up!

Room Tip: I always look for a higher floor, better chance of an unobstructed view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Wenovo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,206)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Superior service that makes us feel that our happiness is the resort's top priority; difficult to leave this paradise. Consistently friendly staff, and genuinely so. Our top choice for special occasions.

Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Great Hotel and great staff. No complaints. We had a great time. Price for rooms was reasonable for the service. It would be nice if they didn't try to gouge you on everything else you wanted to spend money on. Drink prices were excessive even for the four seasons. Ambiance is more of a california experience then a Maui experience

1 Thank Stephen M
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The hotel remains a great place to stay on Maui, but both shows its age and has appeared to cut back in its famed service compared to our previous stay. The guest rooms could use an update (it seems this may be taking place). The pools and beach continue to be top notch. The staff is friendly but may be stretched too thin. The fitness center was not always staffed (and is not set up to encourage self-cleaning of the equipment). For the first time ever at any hotel, the housekeepers forgot to clean our room despite us leaving it empty at 10 in the morning. The Four Seasons remains a fine hotel but does not justify the premium cost compared to other Wailea Hotels such as the Grand Wailea.

Room Tip: Figure out how to get a renovated room, preferably with a view. Note that the lowest class rooms are...
4 Thank SeaMariner22
Lehigh Valley, PA
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

This resort is great if you plan to check in and use the resort facilities and beach and pools to relax. Friendliest and most helpful staff possible. Beach is gorgeous and the snorkeling left of it is unmatched (truly and we snorkeled multiple places on 3 islands during this trip). Infinity pool at sunset is breathtaking too.
However, if you plan to 'do the island' and be out, you might be paying a premium for amenities you won't even use. Active or adventurous couples doing the road to hana, volcanoe tours, waterfall hikes, or whatever day long jaunts off property might want to look for less expensive options. Those wishing to relax and be pampered...this resort is the pinnacle of that.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank heflin
orange county, ca
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I waited a few weeks to write this so I could fairly review this impressive resort. Let me start out by saying this was my first stay in the hotel, but I have been coming to this hotel for over 10 years. When I come to Maui with the whole family, I rent a large home in Makena or stay next door at the Grand Wailea for my kids. I come to this resort to eat, enjoy the wonderful lounge and to use the beach. From years of coming to the resort as a visitor I had VERY high expectations for the time when I would be a guest.

I would like to say that the service at this hotel CANNOT be matched. Period! The valet is amazing and fast. The front desk staff is beyond accomodating, although we had to wait 10 minutes upon checking in just to talk to someone. The breakfast buffet at DUO still has A+ food and A+++ service (Chad, we love you). As I have been coming to eat here for over 10 years, these are things I have experienced in the past ( aside from the front desk wait).

Now for the rooms, in one word, OLD!! We were put in a terrible smelling, carpet stained, mildewed bathroom, mess upon arrival. We called immediately and were treated very well by the staff who tried everything to make it better. We requested to upgrade our room to a large suite ( we paid for this). The next day we were moved. My thought was that maybe the suites would be in better condition. This was partially true. It didn't smell as bad and the bathroom was in slightly better condition. The bed was awful, so the staff brought a new mattress up within 15 minutes of the call, truly amazing service. One of the sliders did not lock, the other could barely be opened, it was so stuck. The furniture was very worn and dated and just disappointing for a suite this expensive. Many things the staff just couldn't "fix", the room needs to be completely renovated!!

After taking to staff, we were told the hotel is in process of a full overhaul. Within the next few years all the rooms will be renovated. I wish I new this beforehand, because I would have just rented a nice home,like I usually do, and come here to eat and have cocktails.

I would like to reiterate, I had VERY high expectations. The common areas of the hotel are really beautiful. The staff is insanely amazing! Management should never have let the rooms get to point they are now. The hotel needed to be renovated 4-5 years ago. Did I enjoy myself? Yes! Will I be back to the restaurants? Yes! Will i stay there again, probably not :( Super sad!!

5 Thank nicki0
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea for 8 days during our Honeymoon. We are from the east coast and have stayed at other Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton Resorts. None of them compare to the FS Maui.

If you are looking at and comparing hotels and you are considering another hotel because its a little bit cheaper, don't. The return you receive for the uptick in price is unmatched and unrivaled. From the moment you walk into the resort until the second you leave, you are treated as if you are the only guest staying at the FS but this isn't the best quality of the FS - Maui.

What sets this resort apart is its attention to detail and by detail I mean every detail you never knew existed. From the Hawaiian music (and other music selections) in the wall to wall marble bathroom to the refreshments provided poolside and beachside by friendly staff, there is not a more complete resort in the world.

I also would like to thank Amanda (concierge) and Vera (resort director) for helping to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. My wife and I had spent all of our time planning our wedding that we hadn't spent much time planning our honeymoon and this is where Amanda came in to save the day. She spent as much time as my wife and I needed going over all the options that Maui had to offer and she didn't push resort restaurants and activities upon us. She gave us a detailed analysis of each of our options to help us find the activities and restaurants that suited our wants.

While at Koiso (a restaurant in Kiehe, a must visit if you love traditional, non-fusion, sushi) we met Vera and we told her we were staying at the FS and even though she was enjoying a night out after work she was excited to help my wife and I decide what we thought looked appetizing for dinner and the next day she found us at the resort to make sure we were enjoying our stay. Where else would you find service like this, where else would you feel like you were being treated like a celebrity? There are probably less than 10 other resorts in the world that would provide this level of service. I think what really stood out is that the FS didn't treat my wife and I as if we were pretentious, which we preferred. This was a trip of a lifetime for us that we may never get to experience again. As I said up top, we went way outside our budget to stay at the FS - Maui and it was worth it because the value you get for the money you spend is unquantifiable.

In addition to the staff, the resort has the most beautiful and breathtaking views of any location (except maybe atop Haleakala) on the island. To accompany this, the resort some of the most remarkable architecture and I strongly recommend spending at least one evening at the Serenity pool, there are infinity pools and then there's the Serenity Pool. Every picture we took looks like we were taking professional pictures for postcards and we were only using our phones. I honestly think its impossible to take a bad picture at the FS, it's magical.

I hope my review has helped, please feel free to message me with any questions. I would love to make recommendations, but if you are at FS, just ask for Vera or Amanda and they will get you to where you want to be!

2 Thank antuc3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!