“Best Service I ever experienced in a hotel worldwide”

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This Hotel isn't cheap. At a price close to $1000 per day for starters you expect a lot. The service is Exceptional! For example, I let my sunglasses and eyeglasses in the room and when I returned I found that they had laid each on a silk lens cleaner. Another example of subtle yet impressive service was in the evenings a gentleman would come by the pool area and ask us if we wanted pictures taken by him of the sunset. All complimentary. Also they had this amazing astronomer come and show us the stars in the sky with her high powered telescope. The small touches are what made this hotel exceptional. Even though I felt the fee was a bit overpriced, it was worth the experience. The morning breakfast buffet was great but a bit crowded. The pool area was great. You didn't need to pay extra for Cabanas or great comfy seating with ocean views. It's all included. The lobby lounge is classy and impressive. They play a great variety of music every day.

I highly recommend is trip to the Four Seasons in Maui if you can afford it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank magicdisplay
Write a ReviewReviews (5,418)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was our 9th consecutive year and this resort continues to maintain and deliver the highest standards of service. This summer, we also stayed at the FS Hualalai on the Big Island and the two resorts are very different experiences. On Maui, the resort is smaller acreage but easy to handle, especially if you have younger children who may need to go back and forth to the room, the beach is also a bit more comfortable because there are less rocks. Maui also offers quick access to Wailea and Kihei where there are lots of restaurants, shopping, etc. And, the Club floor on Maui with its personal concierge and refreshments & snacks all day, which is not available at Hualalai, is worth going back for!

FS Hualalai is probably what many first-time visitors imagine a Hawaiian resort to be...lots of ocean, low, bungalow-style accommodations, lots of fish ponds to explore, lots of different pools, including an enclosed snorkeling area, and sea turtles that come up on the sand daily! Because the acreage is larger, you do have to walk more to get to the various areas, the lobby, the shops, etc., but in many ways, it's more "private" because of that.

Both resorts are spectacular and the FS hallmark of excellent service is provided at both; but don't expect them to be the same; you just need to know what you want!

1  Thank Missbotess
Reviewed September 1, 2013

best resort ever! The staff, facilities, and food - all was great. It's a long trip to get to the resort, but well worth it. Be sure to experience all that the resort and community offer. We have been to the resort before and each trip is special. It's a great place for everyone; they do an amazing job in balancing families, couples, young people, and others.

1  Thank Steven K
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had a wonderful vacation. Great memories celebrating my parent's 60th wedding anniversary. The hotel was beautiful, the view incredible, the rooms were perfect and the food was excellent in each restaurant at the Four Seasons. Truly a fabulous place to stay for any reason.

1  Thank StarlightMotel
Reviewed September 1, 2013

just wasn't that nice. small beach. pool nothing. nicest thing was the spa. rooms large but average. lots of marble. neighborhood iffy. and im from Cleveland! the staff was nice and attentive but the facility was nothing special. the hotel next door with the water "ring" looked much more interesting.....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
13  Thank cleeeeeeeeevelander
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Greetings from Maui,

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is appreciated, and we are disappointed to hear about your concerns with our facilities. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please contact me at 808.874.2212 or konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com.

Best Regards,
Konrad Gstrein

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Dear Would Be Travelers:

This review is regrettably long overdue!

What can be said about the Four Seasons Maui at Wailea that hasn't already been said?? We stayed there last December right before Christmas. We took 2 adjoining rooms (one for us and one for the children). The rooms were spacious, immaculate and very soothing. I especially liked the amenities they left for the children in the rooms - Little toys, a ukulele, their names spelled out in "sponge letters" on the bath tub and some snacks. They also left us a bottle of champagne and a lovely basket of local items - Love the Maui onion chips and cakes! - But I digress... I also have to say having music available in the full (HUGE) marble bathroom was a treat - so nice to listen to Hawaiian music while in the shower!

We had a wonderful time there swimming in the beautiful pools, lazing on the perfectly groomed beach and enjoying delicious meals. The snorkeling there is second to none - the rental people were so helpful! We also did the *complimentary* outrigger canoe ride - it was great! So authentic and the "paddlers/drivers" were so kid-friendly, lively and knowledgeable about the island. What a treat! My husband said the scuba diving was terrific too - instructors were professionals and courteous.

We all loved the spritzes of Evian water and cool cucumber slices they give you while sunbathing (If I could only get someone to do that for me at home...thinking…) and the food at the pool was wonderful- truly delicious. We are vegetarian and they were happy to make up a special menu for us if we asked. My kids also enjoyed the little (free) snacks and ice cream they served around the pool mid-afternoon as a sort of pick me up (I think my kids ate quite few!). The drinks poolside were amazing too. Speaking of drinks, I am not a huge drinker but wanted some tropical type non-alcoholic drink. So we went to Ferraro's bar, and the bartender asked me what flavors I like - Long story short, he made me the MOST delicious ginger, ice, lemon something-or-other I ever had! I also said how much I loved the dried ginger they put on top and he gave me a *whole bag* of it to take home! Amazing!

And let me add that I did really try and talk to the staff - how they liked living on Maui, how they liked their job at the Four Season, etc. just to really get a feel for the place (and do a good job for you, my fellow travelers!) and I have to say that everyone I spoke to was genuine, kind and seemed truly happy. It was a peaceful experience being at the hotel and it comes across in the attitude and "vibe" of the people who work there.

The grounds there are also spectacular - walk around and explore the many floors, with flora, fauna, sculptures, and art. I love the tiny ornamental pineapple plants there - so cute! The shops are entertaining and fun to poke around in. Maybe they are a wee bit overpriced, but it IS Maui and it IS the Four Seasons. I loved the shop that sells jewelry by "Maui Mari" (maybe Cabana?) – I bought a few of her necklaces! Very beautiful and unique. The other shops are great too.

As for our smaller traveling companions, my kids loved the "Kids for all Seasons" daycare - the staff were so friendly that my daughter (who hates virtually everything, like someone else you know!) even liked it! She made friends and they took them on some adventures (crab hunt, lei making, beach combing, etc). The kids buffet by the pool was super fun and creative and we all loved how whimsical the food set up was – adorable! We were slightly jealous that *we* couldn’t eat there, but managed to get over it.

Speaking of food, as I said we did eat at the pool a few times just because it was easy and off resort as well. But we did dine at Ferraro’s (which was wonderful) and Duo for breakfast – Can I say Duo was amazing? Ok, maybe overused, but the breakfast buffet was spectacular! Normally you say “buffet” to me and I run (fast) in the other direction. Buffet usually means lots of food, lots of bad food. But not here – At the Four Seasons it means lots of mouthwatering food! There is so much they offer – from the presentation of the food, quality of the food, variety of food and of course the wait staff is impeccable. I loved eating breakfast there – so much to choose from even for vegetarians and the pastries, scones, papaya – so fresh, I could have eaten it all . Yes, it is crazy money, but in this instance you get what you pay for – so worth it – I would go there every day.

Other activities? While there, I took a class with a MMA pro – called kickboxing or maybe just MMA? (it is a favorite activity of The XtraPicky Traveler) It might have been marketed to teens but it was all adults when I went. The instructor was fantastic and specializes in Muy Thai (Thai Kickboxing) - Check out Brian if he is still there! Work out facilities are fine – not bad to do cardio while staring at the ocean – and the games room offers pool, “bowling”, foosball, etc to entertain everyone.

Did I leave anything out? Probably. Am I gushing? Definitely. But I want you to know that The Four Seasons Maui at Wailea is *Gush-worthy*. It is amazing, worth every penny they charge you and I can’t wait to go back

Room Tip: Just go - splurge you won't be sorry!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank TheXtraPickyTraveler
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Four Seasons Maui to celebrate our 4yr anniversary.
From arrival we receive first class service and the service just kept getting better. The spa is wonderful and the massages were great.
The restaurants, rooms, facilities and views were amazing.
It's a great place for everyone. For couples romance is everywhere, family retreat is great for kids and adults. Resort pretty much has everything you need and desire.

We are looking forward to a return trip.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are cheaper and just as good as a suite.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Evs T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!