Still one of the best and finest hotels in the world, with overall outstanding service!
Though next time, I'll try to come during weekdays in off season as peak season takes away from some of their otherwise excellent service.
For example, a few things I noticed during this trip:
- Check in guy did not smile (although literally every other Four Seasons staff member we encountered has always been very welcoming, warm and open).
- Lunch was messed up twice. First day on our arrival, it was so busy we had to move from the infinity pool to the downstairs pool for lunch as no beds had become available between 10.30 AM until 3 PM. Downstairs, after receiving the menu, it still took 45 (!) minutes to order despite asking for the waiter twice. Moreover, the order wasn't taken in correctly (we received 1 main course and 1 appetizer instead of 2 main courses and 1 appetizer). This was very untypical Four Seasons.
Second day, the dish we ordered came without sauce whereas it was supposed to be included. Apparently, this was because of problems with the Duo kitchen being repaired. By the time the sauce had been delivered, the fish had gone cold.
- This is high season, so beds (especially at the infinity pool) are hard to get. If you don't want to be on the waitlist until noon or later, you have to reserve beds early! On our second day, I came at 8.20 AM and there were only 4 beds left. Note that few people were actually lying on the beds, its just that they all had been reserved… I'm not a big fan of this "bed reservation" practice and this wasn't so apparent during my previous visit.
On Sunday, I arrived at the infinity pool at 8 AM and all beds were "occupied" already and was put on number 3 or 4 on the waitlist. Only one pair of beds was still available in the spa area near the beach. This pair of beds was in the shade so we were "forced" to spent the entire morning in the kids area.
- I refuse to get up at 6.45 AM during a "luxury" vacation in order to get some seats near the swimming pool so I do not have to use a wooden cubicle to put my stuff in, but I guess I should have. There seems to be no way around this 6.45 AM morning drill if you want to lie at the adults-only pool and not be bothered by playing kids the whole day. I really do not see how anyone thinks this applies to a luxury holiday. Four Seasons do offer cabanas for rent at the infinity pool, but all are located so that the whole day is enjoyed in shade. So they're no use if you want to enjoy some sun!
- Called to the Front Desk twice, once in the early evening, once around noon. Both times, I was put on hold for over 5 minutes, almost 10. It reminded me of calling AT&T customer service...
- The underwater music installation in the infinity pool playing relaxing tunes has, apparently, been broken for over 4 months already. Would be great to see it fixed! I loved this while floating in the pool. [NOTE: I learned that this has been fixed in the main time]
- There is some kind of airco noise that is heard throughout the room and room hallways, even when the airco is turned off. It sounds like a low tune mechanic beep going on and off continually. If your sensitive to sounds when trying to sleep, this might be a problem. It was for me. I complained but nothing could be done about it except for moving us from the main garden floor to a higher floor. Apparently, the mechanic rooms on the main floor make noise and it can be heard throughout all rooms (at least on the main floor of the, when facing the ocean, right wing). We were offered an extremely generous upgrade, and that really improved the rest of our stay (which, despite a few of the negative comments here, was magical).
- They replaced bathroom products from L'Occitane to a house brand (?) Lorenzo Villoresi. I'm sure it's good quality but they products don't feel and smell as nice as L'Occitane. Not sure if this depends on the room type.
- We used to love the restaurant Duo, but unfortunately their menu has become very uninspirational. For example, they've removed their wild meat selection (they had excellent venison). Too bad! The restaurant is now OK but not Wow. The menu is dull and does not display much creativity or innovation. The highlight of our meal was not the meat, but the side dishes (loved the creamed spinach with egg and island veggies). Last time we dined here, we talked about our excellent venison for over 2 years. I don't think that will happen this time around. Similar meat can be experienced in most steakhouses across the US, and much better meat can be had at, for example, Hy's or Wolfgang in Oahu. On the positive, they still serve cotton candy at the end! Always a nice "surprise"!
- Duo's wine menus isn't very strong and quite limited. Much better selection to be found at, for example, Halekulani in Oahu. Barely any good wines to be found below 200 USD which is a shame because a quality wine menu should show great wines at multiple price ranges.
- We were never a big fan of the other two restaurants. Whereas the restaurants serve their purpose (the setting is beautiful, the seating is elegant, the service is very friendly), the food is nothing to write home about. Duo used to be the exception, unfortunately, it no longer is. The "best" restaurant now is Spago. But, as any restaurant connoisseur can tell you, it is a Wolfgang Puck restaurant meaning the food is good, some dishes perhaps even bordering the great, but not excellent. This might be one of the better Wolfgang restaurants but it's still a Wolfgang restaurant.
- The one positive thing that has changed: internet is now free of charge! A good move.
Otherwise, the hotel is excellent. I'm still a big fan! Although I do hope Duo improves upon its menu as the hotel is in dire need for some better dining options! I'd almost consider using the hotel car to explore outside options! Four Seasons Maui is still paradise, but why can there no longer be amazing food in paradise? And why do I have to wake up at 6.45 AM in order to enjoy paradise?
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Otel, Travelocity, TravelUp, Cancelon, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Four Seasons reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Seasons Resort Maui At Wailea
- Four Seasons Resort Maui At Wailea Hotel Wailea
- Four Seasons Resort Maui Wailea
- Four Seasons Wailea, Maui
- Wailea Four Seasons