“Can it get any better than this?”
Review of Four Seasons

Four Seasons
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Still one of the best and finest hotels in the world, with overall outstanding service!

Though next time, I'll try to come during weekdays in off season as peak season takes away from some of their otherwise excellent service.

For example, a few things I noticed during this trip:

- Check in guy did not smile (although literally every other Four Seasons staff member we encountered has always been very welcoming, warm and open).

- Lunch was messed up twice. First day on our arrival, it was so busy we had to move from the infinity pool to the downstairs pool for lunch as no beds had become available between 10.30 AM until 3 PM. Downstairs, after receiving the menu, it still took 45 (!) minutes to order despite asking for the waiter twice. Moreover, the order wasn't taken in correctly (we received 1 main course and 1 appetizer instead of 2 main courses and 1 appetizer). This was very untypical Four Seasons.
Second day, the dish we ordered came without sauce whereas it was supposed to be included. Apparently, this was because of problems with the Duo kitchen being repaired. By the time the sauce had been delivered, the fish had gone cold.

- This is high season, so beds (especially at the infinity pool) are hard to get. If you don't want to be on the waitlist until noon or later, you have to reserve beds early! On our second day, I came at 8.20 AM and there were only 4 beds left. Note that few people were actually lying on the beds, its just that they all had been reserved… I'm not a big fan of this "bed reservation" practice and this wasn't so apparent during my previous visit.

On Sunday, I arrived at the infinity pool at 8 AM and all beds were "occupied" already and was put on number 3 or 4 on the waitlist. Only one pair of beds was still available in the spa area near the beach. This pair of beds was in the shade so we were "forced" to spent the entire morning in the kids area.

- I refuse to get up at 6.45 AM during a "luxury" vacation in order to get some seats near the swimming pool so I do not have to use a wooden cubicle to put my stuff in, but I guess I should have. There seems to be no way around this 6.45 AM morning drill if you want to lie at the adults-only pool and not be bothered by playing kids the whole day. I really do not see how anyone thinks this applies to a luxury holiday. Four Seasons do offer cabanas for rent at the infinity pool, but all are located so that the whole day is enjoyed in shade. So they're no use if you want to enjoy some sun!

- Called to the Front Desk twice, once in the early evening, once around noon. Both times, I was put on hold for over 5 minutes, almost 10. It reminded me of calling AT&T customer service...

- The underwater music installation in the infinity pool playing relaxing tunes has, apparently, been broken for over 4 months already. Would be great to see it fixed! I loved this while floating in the pool. [NOTE: I learned that this has been fixed in the main time]

- There is some kind of airco noise that is heard throughout the room and room hallways, even when the airco is turned off. It sounds like a low tune mechanic beep going on and off continually. If your sensitive to sounds when trying to sleep, this might be a problem. It was for me. I complained but nothing could be done about it except for moving us from the main garden floor to a higher floor. Apparently, the mechanic rooms on the main floor make noise and it can be heard throughout all rooms (at least on the main floor of the, when facing the ocean, right wing). We were offered an extremely generous upgrade, and that really improved the rest of our stay (which, despite a few of the negative comments here, was magical).

- They replaced bathroom products from L'Occitane to a house brand (?) Lorenzo Villoresi. I'm sure it's good quality but they products don't feel and smell as nice as L'Occitane. Not sure if this depends on the room type.

- We used to love the restaurant Duo, but unfortunately their menu has become very uninspirational. For example, they've removed their wild meat selection (they had excellent venison). Too bad! The restaurant is now OK but not Wow. The menu is dull and does not display much creativity or innovation. The highlight of our meal was not the meat, but the side dishes (loved the creamed spinach with egg and island veggies). Last time we dined here, we talked about our excellent venison for over 2 years. I don't think that will happen this time around. Similar meat can be experienced in most steakhouses across the US, and much better meat can be had at, for example, Hy's or Wolfgang in Oahu. On the positive, they still serve cotton candy at the end! Always a nice "surprise"!

- Duo's wine menus isn't very strong and quite limited. Much better selection to be found at, for example, Halekulani in Oahu. Barely any good wines to be found below 200 USD which is a shame because a quality wine menu should show great wines at multiple price ranges.

- We were never a big fan of the other two restaurants. Whereas the restaurants serve their purpose (the setting is beautiful, the seating is elegant, the service is very friendly), the food is nothing to write home about. Duo used to be the exception, unfortunately, it no longer is. The "best" restaurant now is Spago. But, as any restaurant connoisseur can tell you, it is a Wolfgang Puck restaurant meaning the food is good, some dishes perhaps even bordering the great, but not excellent. This might be one of the better Wolfgang restaurants but it's still a Wolfgang restaurant.

- The one positive thing that has changed: internet is now free of charge! A good move.

Otherwise, the hotel is excellent. I'm still a big fan! Although I do hope Duo improves upon its menu as the hotel is in dire need for some better dining options! I'd almost consider using the hotel car to explore outside options! Four Seasons Maui is still paradise, but why can there no longer be amazing food in paradise? And why do I have to wake up at 6.45 AM in order to enjoy paradise?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Heere-Reviews
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have travelled to Maui a number of times and stayed at a few different places but the Four Seasons Wailea is by far the best. Service, location, ammenities but it at the top. It is definitely a splurge worth making!

Room Tip: Full ocean views are really FULL ocean views. Suites are worth the splurge.
2  Thank Seeingtheworld1990
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed at the FS for 7 nights. The resort is paradise. The service here is second to none. We were upgraded to a larger suite on check-in. I was traveling with my sister and 3 year old daughter. They had left personalized bath toys for my daughter, a tot's bathrobe and a stuffed animal. She was elated. Breakfast was fabulous every morning but the service was even better. Dinners at the three restaurants was good too: I rank the restaurants in the following order: Ferraro's, Spago and Duo. Concierge Amy was very helpful too. Checked our Grand Wailea and Marriot while we were there - FS is much nicer. I will definitely return.

1  Thank love2travel1555
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family and I travel frequently, this was our first trip to Maui. I have to say Four Seasons made this the BEST vacation that we've ever had and exceeded expectations everyday!
The little things make a tremendous difference and make you feel special. I went for a run almost everyday, when I would return I was always greated with a cold bottle of water and a cool towel. (Nice touch). During the tropical storm Monday night we ate the buffet from Ferraros, my wife loved the Pana cotta. We went to Ferraros later in the week to have a glass of wine with friends. My wife ordered the Panna Cotta again and it was different. Gabe informed us that the desert the night of the storm was different. He went out of his way and had the chef make my wife and her friend that specific Panna Cotta while we were enjoying our wine. Then he informed us that they made extra and it was being held for us through room service. We ordered that specially made Panna Cotta two additional times during our stay. I have to say service like we received from Gabe, Tina, Wendy and the entire staff at Four Seasons made this trip special. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the top floors toward the center looking toward the ocean.
1  Thank Stephen C
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Four seasons Wailea for our final night in Maui.
The service is the thing that stood out the most for us at this resort. We were made to feel really special and nothing was too much trouble.

We were given an upgrade to an ocean view which was lovely. The rooms were big and had everything you need including a generous sized balcony. I would say the rooms and corridors are a little dated but this didn't really bother us as the service was so amazing. The communal areas were modern and more updated than the rooms.

We ate at the italian restaurant for lunch and dinner. Service was great and the food was also good and reasonably priced.

The only problem we came across was that there weren't enough seats at the adult pool. you can put your name on a waiting list. I'm not sure how else they can solve this problem.

I wouldn't hesitiate to stay again. It was our first ever four seasons experience and it was a good first impression!

We later went on to stay at the four seasons on big island which I have to say was the most amazing hotel and in a different league. It's a very different experience to the Wailea one. But both great places.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tracey409
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our stay at the Four Seasons was as a guest for a destination wedding. The Four Seasons is the best hotel on the Island and we were treated to an outstanding experience every day. Recognition by name from most of the staff, and excellent service especially at the Serenity Pool (but you have to go up early, 7:00 am to reserve chairs and you cannot leave them for an hour without giving them up). A spectacular setting for a Wedding to be remembered!!! We loved the breakfasts every morning in the cool Island breeze and views of the ocean though a little pricey!Sunsets every evening were amazing. Our photos don't do them justice!!! We ate most evening meals off site as we like to explore local color so can't say much about the restaurants, except Spago which was delicious but again very pricey! Would definitely return for another visit.

Room Tip: Rooms in the South Tower are quieter, though expensive because of the Ocean views. If you are not p...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CobC
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Resort Is beautiful and service is very good. Downsides .... Room reserved (double queen) was not available at check in. A bit of a hassle to relocate to the reserved room the next day. Cannot really unpack and settle in. Reservation was for 3 adults. You would think since you pay for the extra person, the hotel would acknowledge that by providing an extra robe, towels, water, etc. They seem to think in couples only. Food quality, though pricey as expected was very good. Service excellent at beach front and pool. Service at Spago somewhat bizarre. Up to five wait staff hovering around, but difficult to get their attention. Would not return to this resturant. Mahalo.

Room Tip: Fourth floor or above to see ocean....
1  Thank DMJ1
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your feedback, and I am disappointed to hear about your service and Spago concerns. If you would like to further discuss your thoughts, please contact me at 808.874.2212 or konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com.

Best Regards,
Konrad Gstrein

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Four Seasons? Share your experiences!