WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Greenville, South Carolina
“Perfect as One Would Expect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We traveled with my daughter and son-in-law the last week of May and this was our second visit to this hotel. During the week we spent many wonderful hours at the resort by the pool and enjoying the other available amenities. We ate at all the restaurants – Ferraros was our favorite -- and had massages at the spa. I have seen many complaints from other posters about finding a place at the pool if one is not there early, and apparently that is true at the Serenity pool. However, anytime (early, late, after lunch, whenever) we went to the other pools, the workers were able to secure us the place/cabana of our choice. We did the serenity pool one day and it is a beautiful place and serene as the name implies. However, service-wise it is not superior over the other pools. This is not a minus on the part of the Serenity Pool staff, just an indication of how good the pool staff is throughout the resort. We did rent a luxury cabana for a day and although it was a real treat, a cabana by any of the other pools was just as fun. (Just not nearly as luxurious) Pool service anywhere at the resort always includes spritzes, towels and various treats throughout the day. They also have the BEST drink and food service -- always checking to see if you need anything and promptly re-filling water glasses and delivering orders. (Order the traditional Mai Tai served with crushed ice, oh my!) The courtesy car(s) were always there to take us to the mall or anywhere else nearby. We never heard “our car is out and won’t be back for several minutes.” (I have heard that refrain from many an upscale hotel) They seemed to have a never ending fleet of SUVs ready for our service. We splurged and stayed on the Club Level (ocean view prime) and as always we feel it’s worth the extra expense. I worked with several of the concierges ahead of time through e-mail and they had arranged several aspects of our trip by the time we arrived. Many thanks to Shauna, Kimberly, Rowena, Pat, Margaret, and all the others whose names I have regrettably forgotten in the intervening 2 months – you made a wonderful trip even better. After returning home I happened to be reading in an action/adventure novel where the hero said, “That’s what I like about the Four Seasons, you only have to ask and it will be supplied.” He’s right, except he left out that it will be supplied promptly, with a genuine smile and a “my pleasure”. I would love to turn right around and go back, but other trips to other places are being planned. I vow to return to the Four Seasons Wailea one day!
As an aside, on a day trip to Lahaina it was parasailing with West Maui Parasail and lunch at the Historic Pioneer Inn – good people watching view, average food. We also walked around the small, historic town and watched the wood carvers on the street corners, etc. However, when it came time to purchase, we went to a small shop off Front street, (across from the Banyan Park), and several steps down a side street where Auhia has a small shop. (Never saw a name on his shop but from Front Street you can see the carvings out in his courtyard) His work is on display and you can get your purchase personalized and mailed. Naturally it will take about a month (well, it did for us being on the East Coast) but you will get a piece that everyone notices and talks about and you will smile and remember your wonderful trip to Hawaii every time you see it. He’s great! If you just want to spend more money, the Four Seasons has some really nice pieces throughout their shopping area. On another day we took a Blue Helicopter Tour (well worth the money) around the island and had lunch at Mama’s Fish House (very good food and loved the view).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank luvtotravelsc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,142)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seoul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was my third visit to the FS Maui and I had a great time. I was travelling with extended family including two kids aged 6 and 7. Each time we consider going to Maui, there is always a bit of a decision between the Grand Wailea (which we have never been to) and the FS. We always pick the FS based on prior stays. Sure the GW looks like it has great pool facilities, but the feeling is that there will be some downside (large hotel, smaller rooms, nickel & diming service) which we would have to sacrifice for the pool facilities.

This stay was no less pampering and gracious than other stays at FS in Maui and on the Big Island. The staff answer you with the word, "Absolutely" and it has an incredibly palliative effect. You want this or that? Absolutely. Sure, prices are high, but that seems to be the case everywhere in Wailea.

The rooms were very spacious and very well appointed. We had two queen beds and a pull out sofa bed for a family of three in one room. The only down side was that the room was really far from the elevators, but when everything else was so wonderful, this really did not matter.

Without going into every little detail, the bottom line is this. If you want to stay at the top of the line, no care, no worry, no flaw resort in Maui to savor great food, kick back at the pool and as a base to visit all that Maui has to offer, there is no better choice, full stop.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the rear on the fourth floor let out to small garden areas instead of the balconies on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mohammedyu
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

service is bar none!!! excellent resort. every detail is covered! no complaints....except adult pool...hard to find a spot....

beach service was exceptional!!!!!! dining was great!

i have made it a point to visit different properties on each visit. the grande wailea is awful. the four seasons is superb. the kea lani is the best!!!!

Room Tip: great place but i still prefer Fairmont Kea Lani!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wenken0704
Wailea, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Although it is a very fancy and nice hotel, the Four Seasons has nothing for kids. I say that because although they have a large pool, the atmosphere does not apply to kids. It was very stuffy there and the kids pool was for two year olds. The kids pool was infested with bees and I got stung three times! Duo is overly priced with very bland tasting food. I was very dissapointed with my stay at the Boring Seasons!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Chuckles B
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Aloha from Maui,

We appreciate your feedback, and are disappointed to hear about your concerns with our facilities and DUO. If you would like to speak further, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at 808.874.2212 or Konrad.Gstrein@fourseasons.com

Best Regards,
Konrad Gstrein
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

If you have the budget, 4S is the place to stay in Maui. Service is what you would expect from a 4S property. Location is great if you like to stay in property and at the beach. Restaurants were all great, but pricey. Very happy here. Spa is world class and I like that the spa staff explains the various treatments in detail.

• Stayed July 2013
Vineland, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed at Four Seasons Wailea during our first stay of a 15 night island marathon of three islands in early July. Stayed for five nights and enjoyed every moment!!! Service was exceptional! Enjoyed the hotel, grounds and pool (Serenity/Adult pool). I had read other reviews about the high demand for lounge chairs at the Serenity pool and the necessity to arrive very early to secure a lounge chair, so having played this "chair game" previously at other island resorts (not Four Seasons), prior to arriving I decided to book a luxury cabana for a couple of days during our stay - only because I did not want to play the "alleged" chair game, but at the same time felt that I was celebrating with my husband and I wanted to splurge and experience true R & R. I do not regret this decision, only because it was lovely to have access to the cabana/shade and privacy. However, I will say that the one day I decided not to reserve a cabana but still planned to hang out at the Serenity pool, I got up early (6:45am) to secure a chair and sit in the "alleged" line expecting to have at least 20+ people there.........there were only two people outside waiting for the pool attendant. Also, on one of the days that I had a cabana rental, I saw that chairs were still available at 9:30am. Yes, the Serenity pool does get busy early and there are a limited amount of lounge chairs (I think 50 or so, but I honestly believe that the reviews indicating you need to get in line at 5:30am are a complete exaggeration! MAYBE during Easter/Spring break it may be busier, but I still believe 5:30am is an exaggeration. I am fairly easy to please (I use the word "fairly" lightly as my own profession involves providing excellent customer service and I do expect the same when I travel) and I was VERY satisfied with the resort, the staff/service and the accessibility of the Serenity pool. Four Seasons was always one step ahead of our needs. We had no issues whatsoever. My husband and I had an Ocean View room reserved but were upgraded to an Ocean View Prime and the view did not disappoint! On the day of arrival we arrived to our room to find a congratulations note and complimentary champagne/fresh fruit and chocolate. We only ate at Duo and Ferraro's (not a fan of Wolfgang Puck restaurants and feel they are overrated so we decided not to try Spago) - the food and service at Duo and Ferraro's was exceptional. My husband and I were celebrating our ten year anniversary and Four Seasons ensured that we enjoyed every moment of our stay. Everyone was friendly and never appeared to be "forcing" the smile but genuinely smiling and wanting to assist. I booked through What a Hotel and I'm very glad that I did. Breakfast (phenomenal by the way) was included every morning (extensive buffet and not the typical continental - it was anything but typical), in addition we received a $100 food and beverage credit through this preferred partner. The only feedback that I can think of mentioning/providing to Four Seasons would be with regards to their concierge team, the concierge lacked in providing some information regarding the hotel's complimentary services, such as the use of a cooler for our solo trip on the Road to Hana. We spoke with the concierge the morning of our road trip, mentioned we were doing the famous Road to Hana but the rep made no mention of available accessories. My husband and I went to the military BX and purchased a disposable one when we were purchasing other necessities for our day trip. Other than that, our stay at this resort was not only a memorable one but exceptional and without a doubt, we will return some day!

Mahalo Four Seasons for a WONDERFUL and MEMORABLE anniversary vacation!!! We will definitely be returning :-)

Laurie Valentine

Room Tip: My preference when traveling anywhere tropical is Ocean View. Most of the time the high floors provi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lnj628
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We just left the resort this morning and I wanted to make sure I wrote this before I forget everything.

First I want to thank Christina at the Serenity pool. We had a light lunch there on our first day. For the Four Seasons the prices for lunch did not blow us away. Christina gave us a list of must see places to go on the Island and every one was spot on.
Although seating at the Serenity pool is limited we found the staff very accommodating while we stored our beach bag in a cubby and enjoyed the pool. For the rest of the trip we enjoyed a seat under a palm tree at the fountain pool.
Dinner at Ferarros was a treat and the complimentary drink was yummy.
The staff at Duo's was so friendly every morning. They knew us by name and knew the package we had.
The front desk staff also accomodated us, as our travel agent had quoted us a different price for overnight parking.
Lastly the Valet and housecar driver were amazing, even took us to a local ice cream shop when we told him we did not like the dessert choices at the restaurant we dined at.

My only negative comment is we booked with a Four Seasons preferred agent and did not get the complimentary room upgrade. The hotel was at capacity, you would never know.
Thank you for a wonderful stay in Maui.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank travelmom014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!