“Fabulous honeymoon!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Brooklyn, New York
“Fabulous honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

We stayed at the Four Seasons Maui for eight days and eight nights for our honeymoon, and despite the 12-hour journey in cramped coach airplane seats, all of the stress and aggravation melted away upon our arrival.

I could not recommend this hotel more -- especially for a honeymoon. Be advised, you will pay a fortune, even if you stay in the cheapest room (which is what we did, and I had no complaints...the worst part about it was a so-so view. The room itself was simply divine. Who wouldn't want Hawaiian or classic-rock music playing in the bathroom?), but you DEFINITELY get what you pay for.

What you get is top-notch service from housekeeping to poolside amenities. From the moment you arrive at the pool or beach, there is a staff member available to set you up with a towel-covered lounge chair (cabanas are preferable and easy to come by, and at no extra charge), which is soon followed by routine offers of muffins, Evian spritzes, cool, lavender-scented towels, fresh fruit, ice water, and ice pops at the pool. And of course an extensive menu of lunch items, beverages and poolside massages are readily available (for a price, of course).

Obviously tipping is expected, but it's a small price to pay for this kind of service.

Daily complimentary exercise and SCUBA classes, as well as complimentary snorkel gear rental constantly reminds you that you are NOT being nickel and dimed here. There was not one staff member that didn't greet me with a smile or didn't offer to help me with anything I needed. We even had sparkling wine on ice waiting for us upon our arrival in celebration of our honeymoon!

The three on-site (and open-air) restaurants are indeed quite pricey, but they still warranted visits. Ferraro's for the gorgeous sunsets and lobster risotto, Spago for a taste of Wolfgang Puck's cuisine (he doesn't have any restaurants in New York!) and our favorite, Duo, for a magnificent overall dining experience -- the after-dinner strawberry cotton candy is not to be missed.

The Four Seasons' exemplary service was also demonstrated at both the beginning and conclusion of our stay. On our second day, I woke up with an eye infection. The concierge called a doctor who came to my room immediately. On our last day, our flight was not until the evening. Although we had to check out of our room, we were welcome to spend the entire day at the pool and beach, enjoying the same amenities we experienced throughout our stay. When the time came for us to depart, we were given access to a suite where we were able to shower, change and relax before heading out.

How my husband and I are going to be able to stay anywhere not of this caliber in the future will be quite difficult!

• Liked — Excellent customer service
  • Disliked — It IS expensive
5 Thank Bonosgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,187)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Orange County, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2008

We stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea from May 24-May 31 and had a wonderful time. The service was the best we have had anywhere and the property is absolutely stunning.

We were always able to get a cabana with an ocean view, and the service around the pool was outstanding. Fresh fruit, Evian "spritzes," sunglass cleaning, etc. The concierge is extremely accommodating. Every time we called for the courtesy car to pick us up from local restaurants, it was waiting for us the moment we stepped outside.

We highly recommend the breakfast buffet, which is huge and changes daily. Spago and Ferraros were both great. We did not try Duo only because we didn't feel like eating steak in Hawaii. It looks good, though, if you're craving red meat.

If you like to run, there is a beautiful beach path right outside the hotel that wraps around the coastline. It's about 1.5 miles, so you can do a quick 3-mile run going down and back with beautiful views of the ocean. The workout room also has great cardio and free weight equipment, along with as much free gatorade and water as you want.

I did the Wai Aulia (cocoon bed) at the spa and recommend it highly. It feels like you're floating in the ocean while you get your massage. I also recommend the free outrigger canoe activity and the (not-free) scuba dive experience. Both were outstanding, and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. We saw four sea turtles during the outrigger canoe trip and all kinds of tropical fish during the scuba dive.

I have no complaints at all about the service. The only minor annoyance was a corporate convention that the hotel was hosting. They did "team-building" exercises on the beach using a loud microphone that everyone could hear at the pool. We were surprised the Four Seasons let them do this, but it only lasted an hour or so. The only other thing to note is that there are a lot of kids, and a lot of parents that have no qualms about letting their children scream through meals and scream at the cabanas. Again, this was more the exception than the rule, and there's not much the hotel can do about this. But it can be frustrating.

We had just a fabulous a time and wish we were still at the Four Seasons.

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank linekelei
Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2008

We arrived at the Four Seasons Wailea for the first leg of our honeymoon. It exceeded every expectation that we had of it!
Upon our arrival we were greeted and each given a lei. Check in was very easy and, because the hotel wasn't packed, they upgraded us to a partial ocean view room.
It was our honeymoon and when we got to the room the manager had sent us a bottle of champagne.
The property has three restaurants and that night we went to dinner at Ferraro's which was our favorite restaurant because of the wonderful outdoor seating overlooking the Pacific.
The next day we enjoyed the beach, the pool, took a water aerobics class and just had fun at the property. Everything was 5-star but not stuffy. There was always someone bringing water or fresh fruit while we were laying by the pool. There was complimentary sunscreen and always someone to help you.
The second night we were there we dined at Spago. The food and ambiance was excellent, but our service was bad :( We were slightly annoyed and made a small note about it on our bill. The next day, the manager sent us a complimentary bottle of champagne as an apology!! That's some amazing customer service.
The gym isn't big but it has everything you need, the spa is beautiful and the grounds are well kept.
Yes, it costs a lot, but it is totally worth it!
We will definitely return.

• Liked — The service!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
3 Thank mainash
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2008

The Four Seasons was definitely the most beautiful, amazing hotel I have ever stayed at. I found the hotel overwhelming right from the beginning, from the impressive entrance to the hotel, the lobby and hotel interior, the large pool area, waterfall and the manicured lawns. I felt like royalty simply being there. The staff were very attentive and since we were staying in a Club room, we were given a 10 minute introduction by the manager at the beginning of our stay. Our room was nice, large in size with a huge bathroom and private balcony overlooking the ocean and lawn.

At the pool, I felt a bit in awe at first because of the other people who (to me) seemed a bit like celebrities. There seemed to be quite a few ultra-wealthy people staying there (no wonder, as we paid over $1,000 for one night). However by the second morning I felt more comfortable in the surrounds. The pool was awesome, huge with a large waterfall in the middle. The whole view down the lawn through to the pool and then down to the beach was outstanding. There were numerous cabanas around the pool too, so finding a seat was not an issue. Just down from the pool was Wailea beach, which was beautiful. The water was very clear and aqua-coloured, with no waves which I liked as the south coast tends to be quite sheltered.

One of the things which surprised me, and made the stay even nicer, was the hotel's attention to detail. There were different types of sunscreen available at different locations around the pool. There was plenty of good service and refreshments in the pool area. Even at the beginning when we were checking in, they gave us refreshing hand towels. The little things like this made the stay even more enjoyable.

They had several restaurants, however we only went to Ferraro's, an Italian restaurant on the water which was absolutely beautiful. It was mostly outdoor, with a lot of candles so it was really romantic. The food and service was outstanding.

I would go back to the Four Seasons in an instant. Everything about the hotel and the area was amazing. The only issue was the cost - if I could find a cheaper room, even if it was not "ocean view", it would still be worth it as using the hotel facilities would far outweigh being in the room.

I think some celebrities have been there. Someone said Arnold Schwarzenegger and maybe even Paris Hilton. Anyway it was definitely the best hotel I have ever been to, and I'd say most other people would feel the same way.

• Liked — The sheer beauty and luxury of the hotel
  • Disliked — Price
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Brooke2
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

I stayted at the Four Seasons during my honeymoon. This hotel is fantastic, actually the best that I have ever stayed in. The room was big, modern and very well maintained and I had a garden in the back. The staff was friendly and very helpful, especially by the pool and the beach. As you enter the pool/beach area, their staff would come greet you and walk you over to an available beach chair and set a towel on there for you. From time to time they would come over and spray some evian mist water on the guest's face to cool down their guests from the heat. Aside from that -the waiters are walking around with a tray of complimentary fruits and ice water to give to the guest.

I cannot compliment more on this hotel as everything was fantastic. This hotel was the highlight of my honeymoon! Overall, you get what you paid for!

• Liked — the room and the service
  • Disliked — nothing
6 Thank lexxis
El Dorado Hills, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea for 5 nights at the end of May. I had heard about this property receiving the coveted honor of being awarded not only 5 stars but also 5 diamonds from Mobil (the much harder standard to achieve) and that it is the only property anywhere in all of the Hawaiian Islands to receive 5 diamonds so I really wanted to check it out. The Four Seasons on the Big Island has a great reputation as well, but only the Maui Four Seasons property has received the 5 Diamonds.

We reserved a Mountainside Room ($475) and were extremely surprised and happy to be upgraded upon arrival to an Executive Suite with a Garden View ($890). Furthermore there was a very nice bottle of champagne on ice awaiting us with a congratulatory note on our anniversary. I can only speculate as to why why they upgraded us to such a nice room (especially coming into the Memorial Day holiday weekend) but it of course made our stay even more special. The suite has a dining room, living room, bedroom, huge bathroom and 2 lanais. The garden view was lovely and I do not see by the layout of the rooms at this hotel that an ocean view would have any great advantage unless you were staying on the end of each wing that directly faces the ocean. This is the hotel you may feel fine about not having an ocean view and saving your money for the cost of food and wine.

The service and staff at the hotel is why I will return. I have stayed at the Kea Lani as well and loved it, but I have to say that the Four Seasons tops it. They seem to listen to every detail of what you say and anticipate what your needs may be before you are even aware of them yourself or have a chance to make a request.

I had made our dinner reservations well in advance of arrival with the concierge, but some of our plans changed while we were there. Hearing great things about Sarento's food and their beautiful sunset view, I wanted to change dinner reservations to dine there on the Saturday night of the holiday weekend and of course I wanted a front and center sunset view table if possible. It was arranged. I mentioned how surprised and pleased I was about this last minute accommodation to the restaurant, and they said that Four Season's guests are a top priority for them.

As suggested by other contributors, do go on the complimentary Outrigger Experience. Make a reservation a day or two before. It is lovely being out on the calm, clear water in the morning. The guide provides lots of education about the history of out rigging and the protected environs. We saw turtles all around us, but whales and dolphins can be spotted at times as well.

Snorkel equipment is also complimentary for an hour a day which is very nice. There is good snorkeling right off the Four Season's beach - as a matter of fact some of the boats that provide snorkel tours come right to the same area. The water temperature was perfect and the waves not rough, and again we saw lots and lots of green sea turtles - who may choose to swim up close to you which is a bit thrilling.

No drama with pool lounges or cabanas. There was always someplace nice to sit and lots of chairs available. My husband would pick a cabana for us about 7 am, but he liked to read the paper out there while I was working out - and then we would switch. If you don't want to get a cabana early I don't think you need to worry. There seemed to be available cabanas at least by the pool until later in the morning.

As stated in earlier reviews, the staff come by frequently with fresh ice water, pineapple and watermelon chunks, Popsicles and Evian spritzes and cold towels for the face. Complimentary sun tan lotion is available in multiple locations. All of these small services and considerations make a Four Seasons guest feel special and appreciated.

I work out everyday but I have to say that the fitness center had a couple of things I did not like so much about it. All of the aerobic machines are outside and I work out hard and get hot quickly. Some may like that but the humidity combined with the heat you make makes it tougher to exercise. My husband does not get hot easily but he said as well that even doing 1/2 hour on the elliptical was very tough as the heat gets to you even early in the morning.

Also there is really not place to stretch out or do floor work in the morning. The weight room is too small if there are other people in there, and there were always classes going on in the aerobic room when I wanted to try and use that space in the morning. I hate to complain about anything in the hotel because there are so many special things about it, but if I had to mention something I would suggest creating a space somehow for people to do floor work or stretching. Quite a few of the other guests mentioned this among themselves.

Of note, flanking each side of the Four Season's stretch of beach are public beach/grass/sand areas - and the paparazzi sit in wait there with their huge telephotos. They were taking pictures of a rap star staying at the FS while we were there and they continued to hunt daily for the more famous that may have arrived.

Opinions of the restaurants at the hotel and nearby:

Spago: Do not recommend. Other contributors advised not to go but we did anyway and we wish we had taken their advice. $200 for a split appetizer, 2 entrees and 2 glasses of wine. Not worth it primarily because the food was not that great. Also of note, lots of people bring their children to Hawaii and to the FS, but unfortunately they feel it is appropriate to bring them to these fine dining establishments. I felt very sorry for the couple sitting next to a round table with 8 people (2 in high chairs and 1 in a booster seat). It is not fair and not appropriate to others. You end up paying a lot of money for a dinner spoiled by noise, tears and commotion.

Duo: Did not eat there but other guests said it was very good.

Ferraro's: fine for a beach/pool day lunch.

Longhi's: had a fabulous lunch there. Order their fish of the day prepared with butter and basil on toast!, and split a half of a half of a Greek salad with your partner. Plenty of food and the salad is delicious.

Tommy Bahamas: The food was OK but their Mojito's are the best we have ever had. Actually we had never had a mojito we liked anywhere. The waiter suggested we have mojitos and when we told him our prior experiences he said he would guarantee we would love them. And we did. Go and get one!

Joe's: very good

Sarento's: enjoyed this experience the most even though it is primarily Italian. We split the salad and the Spaghetti with Filet Mignon meatballs. Very good food, gorgeous setting at sunset. Make this reservation far enough in advance to secure a sunset table at the front.

Capische: Again primarily Italian with a view of the sunset. View and food not as quite as good as Sarento's but close. Would recommend.

Kimo's: (in Lahaina for lunch). Remains a good restaurant - never had a bad meal there, and again you can be seated right at the water.

In summary about the food, split your courses whenever possible. The first day or two we did not and we were wasting alot of food and, of course, money. Every restaurant was fine with our split requests and they are used to it.

We cannot wait to return to the Four Seasons Wailea and we thank all the staff for the very good care they took of us.

• Liked — the staff and service
  • Disliked — would prefer more room in the fitness center, resort food and drink prices
7 Thank Michaela
gidgster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the Four Seasons in Maui. Our stay could not have been any better! The rooms was large and cleaned immaculately. The service by the pool was EXCELLENT! In the morning the pool staff sets you up with towels on the chair or cabana of your choice. They come by and clean your sun glasses and provide you with a cool glass of water. They also provide a cool wash clothe scented with lavender at various points during the day. Then throughout the day they come and refill your glass. Delicious lunch options (my personal favorite was the turkey wrap) are served poolside. Oh.. I almost forgot the Breakfast buffet.. the best ever! My husband is a huge connoisseur of eggs Benedict.. he has it everywhere we go.. this was the best he had ever had. The concierge was very helpful gave excellent recommendations for dinner and excursions. All in all this was the best vacation ever.. and this hotel experience was FANTASTIC.

• Liked — VERY comfortable beds
  • Disliked — on the far end of Maui
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank gidgster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!