“Excellent Service, No wow factor”

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a nice, expensive hotel - probably as good as it gets in Maui. But after experiencing amazing hotels in places like maldives, tahiti and turks and caicos, you´re left wondering how underexplored (from a luxury service point of view) hawaii is.
This is a big hotel, with lots of rooms...therefore lots of people everywhere! No sense of exclusion, privacy or exclusivity.
When you pay over 1000 USD for night and you have to face lines for breakfast or you can´t find a pool cabana I can´t avoid wondering if the price is worth it.
Don´t take me wrong, this is a very confortable hotel and the staff is extraordinary. The beach in front is awsome with clear, warm waters.
However, all public and pool areas are always very crowded (they should have at least twice the number of pools to accomodate the number of guests) and although breakfast is excellent, lunch and dinner offerings are not memorable at all. The gym is very good and there are several activities to keep you busy.
Rooms have a very nice size, with huge bathrooms and a lanai (we had a full ocean view, but it would be more honestly described as a partial ocean view...).
I stayed for 4 days and 2 of the days we arrived at breakfast after 8am which implied waiting for a table to be free (and the hotel wasn´t full). Also, we couldn´t find a seat at the bar in the evening so we ended up not experiecing the bar. The mini bar inside the room only had 2 bottles of water, which is a bit strange - you have to order any other drink from room service.
In summary, a nice and expensive hotel (with excellent staff) but that fails to exceed expectations. I would not return.

Room Tip: Don´t have big expectations on the ocean view from your room - due to construction angle, only ocean...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PedroPortugal
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback, and are disappointed to hear about your concerns with our business levels and food. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please contact me at 808.874.2212 or konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Konrad Gstrein
Resort Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,462)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Altho I have stayed at other 4S resorts none (that I have been to yet) have had more aloha than Maui!

Everyone was super helpful and I dont drink coffee, so it was nice to be told about the tea service! I was upgraded to a lovely room with a GORGEOUS ocean view!

The 4S is my new addiction!

Room Tip: I got upgraded to the fabulous ocean view room (see photo) Just ask they are always happy to assist!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DrClarke808
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks holiday at FS Maui with our two boys, 8 and 11. We had mountainside rooms on the 6th floor, which were nice big rooms but very average looking at the car park roof. They were also miles away from the lifts, painful if you forgot something.....We did ask to look at other options and were offered a suite, but kids would have been in rollaway beds and it was going to be extra $$$...... Games room fantastic, open air gym and separate weights room excellent. Breakfast at Duo good (Halekulani better) and lunch at Ferraros good. The main pool very average for a five star resort, doesn't compare to similar style properties in Asia PAC. Service by the pool good. Serenity pool nice but gets very windy from lunchtime onwards, as does the beach. Tennis coach Darin fabulous and a great asset to this resort. The hotel has its own cars to take you to whichever restaurant you are dining at and will pick you up, an excellent service. We did the outrigger canoe also, which was complimentary and very enjoyable. Fitness classes ie spin etc also a great facility.
Very enjoyable resort but the main pool would probably deter me from rushing back.

Room Tip: Mountainside rooms are a long way from the lifts
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm sorry to hear about your concerns with our pool facilities. If you would like to further discuss your stay, please feel free to contact me at 808.874.2212 or Konrad.Gstrein@fourseasons.com.

Warmest Mahalo,

Konrad Gstrein
Resort Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Fantastic visit to the Four Seasons last week. The photos do not do the resort justice - it is breathtaking. The serenity pool is actually upstairs and has the best views of the island and ocean. The Blueberry monitors are very good and the service at the cabanas fantastic.
Nice large rooms and plenty of lovely open air specs throughout the hotel. Loved their free shuttle service within 1 mile of the resort at all hours.

Room Tip: Book through whatahotel.com to get the free buffet breakfast t DUO each morning and a $100 credit...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. Had a great time. I enjoyed the pool and restaurants. The place would be even better if their cereal selection in the morning included Bran Buds - I am not getting any younger - I need the fiber. Also I couldn't figure out pancake / waffle / french toast station in the morning. They need to give you a number or something. One morning I think I took Sheldon Adelson's french toast...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Overall, we spent 6 days and 6 nights at the Four Seasons. There is no beating the level of service, from the time you set foot on the property to leaving every staff member bends over backwards to assist you. The property is absolutely gorgeous with ample chairs on the lawn facing the ocean as well as around the pool area. The pool staff are all friendly, and by the second day of our stay had already began to remember our names. While lounging in the sun the staff serves complimentary water, fruit, popsicles, and other delectable treats.
During our stay we enjoyed the full-island breakfast at Duo every morning which consisted of different items and specials every day. The food and service here did not disappoint either, with enough options for a variety of breakfasts. Dinner at Duo was just as worthwhile. We cannot recommend enough the White Truffle Macaroni and Cheese. (We liked it so much that we ordered again twice during our stay from room service!)
From check-in to check out everything was picturesque and everyone was welcoming. The concierge was always there with helpful advice and assisted us in booking any excursion that we wanted. The rooms were great, with large marble baths and balconies. We cannot recommend this property enough!!! And we cannot wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My new bride and I spent our honeymoon in Maui at the Four Seasons Wailea. If you don't go anywhere else, you MUST visit here. If you want a life changing event, you can't expect it to be cheap. But the thing is, we don 't even know how much we spent because everyhing we did was more than worth the costs. Ther service was impeccable. From the time we entered the lobby, every need, want, and thought was covered to perfection. They upgraded our room because it was our honeymoon. Left us a bottle of champagne that we enjoyed, itineraries of our planned activities, and treated us life rockstars. The breakfast buffet at DUO was ridiculously good. All three restaurants on the ground, Spago, DUO, and Ferraro's was outstanding. The service, food, and atmosphere were all unique and breathtaking. And speaking of breathtaking, the views from the hotel to the beach and Pacific can't be described unless you're there. Amazing is the best word to describe it. The adult only serenity pool with the swim up bar was undescribable. The views, the food, the drinks, the service...all top notch. We were there for 10 days and not a day went by we didn't end up at or in that pool. It was fantastic. We shopped and ate some at the Shops at Wailea. How did we get there and back each time, the Escalades from the hotel took us. I told you it was all covered. We rented a convertible Mustang that was delivered to the hotel and we spent a day on the road. It took 5 minutes to reserve the car, it arrived early, and 1 minute to turn it back in at the hotel. Efficient and inexpensive. The bartenders at the serenity pool are the the best anywhere. The servers in the restaurants, perfect. There wasn't one thing I would change from the room, food, service, and overall quality of what you get. We will be going back and I can't imagine going to Maui and staying anywhere else...ever. Do yourself a favor and book your trip right now. It's a life changing vacation!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#1 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!