“The BEST Hotel we have ever stayed at”

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the Four Seasons in Maui. Our stay could not have been any better! The rooms was large and cleaned immaculately. The service by the pool was EXCELLENT! In the morning the pool staff sets you up with towels on the chair or cabana of your choice. They come by and clean your sun glasses and provide you with a cool glass of water. They also provide a cool wash clothe scented with lavender at various points during the day. Then throughout the day they come and refill your glass. Delicious lunch options (my personal favorite was the turkey wrap) are served poolside. Oh.. I almost forgot the Breakfast buffet.. the best ever! My husband is a huge connoisseur of eggs Benedict.. he has it everywhere we go.. this was the best he had ever had. The concierge was very helpful gave excellent recommendations for dinner and excursions. All in all this was the best vacation ever.. and this hotel experience was FANTASTIC.

5  Thank gidgster
Write a ReviewReviews (5,363)

Reviewed May 24, 2008

We cannot say enough good things about FS Maui! We can't wait to go back. We have 2 boys - 14 & 10 - they loved it too. They are too old for the kids camp but they have a fabulous games room with PS, XBox, pool tables, flat screen TV with movies, lot of games. We stayed on the club level which is just unmatched anywhere else! The food and drinks were fabulous. The concierges on that floor are the best there is - Gigi, Pat - all of them. They were all so friendly - knew our names, talked to us and the kids every day. They make fabulous martinis by the way -- just to your order! Premium wine selections too. I have never seen such great food at a club level - 4 presentations a day - you can almost eat there only! The beach is wonderful and service is great throughout the property. Took a great snorkel trip. Our room was fantastic too - large bathroom - large lanai with beautiful ocean views. The kids stayed in our room too - they made sure to make up the sofa bed for them and would their things cutely arranged for them every night. The FS does not disappoint in any way - we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank SBFTX
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Where do I begin.....I have stayed at many 4 and 5 star resorts.....but this one has got service, hospitality, beauty and cleanliness down pat!! Even before we arrived, we could call a 1-800 number and speak to the hotel directly about any questions/concerns we had. How many hotels can you do that with these days? You usually get central reservations.
From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left (I believe I had tears), I felt like I was being taken care of by a good friend at his extremely beautiful villa! This place has what I could only describe as 'grace'. It will pamper you and make you feel relaxed without being snobish, or expecting anything. They continued to amaze me with their hospitality, from the gifts for the children when we arrived and left, to the fact they went out of their way to buy my son special Almond milk as he has a sensitivity to cow's milk and every staff member seemed to know this at every restaurant. They were never intrusive but always seemed to be gracious.
My husband and I were always amazed at how the hotel seemed to think of everything - even providing a small outdoor hanging rack to dry your bathing suits on your lanai.
My son and daughter especially liked the Kids for all Seasons program and the gentleman in the games room who would be around every night and help my son with any of the games if he got stuck.
The housekeeping staff left the room spotless (I am a clean freak) and just because I was curious I ran my finger on the baseboard in the hallway and it was CLEAN! I don't normally do that but was just curious as it seemed so clean!
The artwork and furniture in this hotel are truly beautiful but we never felt like our kids could break anything - maybe because of where it is placed or the type they chose but it didn't feel like a museum.
They seem to love kids here and always knew our name - the pool staff were always there to help you. Just to give you an idea of how I felt about this hotel's care, I once brought my towels from the pool up to my room as we were still wet and although normally I would never even think of this, at this hotel I actually brought them back down to the pool as I felt they were always so kind to us that I wouldn't leave them for housekeeping. Strange maybe, but they were really amazing to us.

The beach is great here also and of course they set you up with umbrellas and chairs there as well. They also have magazines, water, and the best sunscreen available to the guests to use at each pool stand - that was a wonderful treat as we'd often forget ours upstairs. It was so good I bought some of it at the spa to take home!
I can honestly say this hotel is doing something right, and this is seen with its' employees as every employee knew exactly how to treat guests. Good for you as this is a reflection of your company as a whole.
It will be hard to find service, beauty and grace at another hotel after having experienced this one without staying at an exclusive villa! Good for you Four Seasons!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank Aurora22
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I recently stayed here for a wedding in April and can't say enough good things about it. They treated us like royalty the entire time. The food was outstanding in every restaurant. Worth every penny. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank SanDiegoSandman
Reviewed May 18, 2008

We stayed at the Four Seasons for 6 nights in a Garden Room. It was lovely - a nice view of a beautiful garden with the pleasant, calming sounds of fountains and the ocean in the background. I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony reading. Personally, we were outside in front of the ocean all day that I don't think it would be worth the extra $$$ for us to have an ocean view room as otherwise the rooms are pretty much the same. And we enjoyed a bit of a change with the garden view anyway. And then there's more $$ to be spend on pool side pina coladas! (which are fabulous by the way!).

If you are there for more than a few nights, I recommend renting a car and going into Kihei for meals. We found that we quickly wanted to expand our meal options outside of the FS as they were a bit pricey and especially for lunch, you don't really have many options (although I will say Ferraros for lunch, with a nice glass of wine, good quality fresh good, and a beautiful mesmerizing ocean view is worth the $$$...). As far as restaurants in Kihei, we liked Sansei...nothing fancy, a sushi joint in a strip mall, but good quality food.

The best parts of the Four Seasons (in addition to the fabulous service) are the location and the complementary activities which really help make the expensive hotel worthwhile. Should you choose, you could have a very healthy vacation at the FS. The outdoor gym is fabulous. And we highly recommend some of the complementary activities:
- Outrigger Canoe Experience (more than just a fun activity, the staff does a great job conveying the history of the islands and of outrigger canoeing itself...and it sure was beautiful sitting out there on the ocean on a beautiful, calm, clear morning. And we saw some sea turtles which was fun)
- Beachfront Yoga (good for beginners and people who already practice. It's in the morning so the yoga helps you 'wake up' just as the island is....and the views, well, they are amazing of course)
- Snorkeling right off Wailea Beach ( some of the best snorkeling on the island is right in front of the Four Seasons...other 'paid' excursions drop people off here and we get to do it for free right in front of our hotel! And then dry out on the beautiful beach right afterwards!)
- Beachfront walk (okay, so it's not really an activity of sorts but this has got to be one of - if not THE - most beautiful running path in the US, so even if you don't run, take a walk in the morning or before sunset...it is stunning. There is so much to look at...from the ocean, to the other hotels, to other guests going by, that you forget you are running!)

What we don't think was worth the $$$:
- The spa. I think it's a bit pricey for what you get. I also got a poolside foot massage, but this was really just too expensive and not worth the $$ ($75 for 20 minutes).
- Spago. We each had one drink, one fish entree and split an appetizer and it was over $200. And we were still hungry afterwards. The food was good though...just not worth the $$$.

All in all, a great experience and we would definitely go back.

6  Thank LAtravelfan
Reviewed May 14, 2008

The Four Seasons Maui was superb!!! The hotel grounds and pool area are beautiful. We reserved a garden view executive suite (about 850 sf) for 7 nights. When we arrived they greeted us by name and directed us to the check in gave us a lilac scented wash cloth and then showed us to our room.

The room was beautiful plus we had a box of cookies plus fresh candy waiting for us. For my daughter, they left an underwater camera and a "beachy" picture frame for her. Nice touch. The bathroom is ginormous with a deep tub and great bath products.

When I made the reservation I contacted the hotel directly. Please be aware that they will make you give a 2 night deposit when reserving a room. We didn't have any problems with that but I could see where some last minute changes in someone's plans could cost you a night or two without refund.

We loved the pool area. We didn't have any problems with getting a cabana when we needed one. One of the pool guys named Shawn was a real standout. Always ready to help with whatever you need with a smile. Basically, we never wanted to leave the resort. We rented a car for one day to drive to Lahaina but it's a real tourist trap. It was described as an old fishing village but it's a main street with t-shirt shops and stores. This wasn't a big deal but I'm not sure that we will ever go back.

The food at all 3 restaurants was above average. It was good but for these prices it should be outstanding. Breakfast is $32 for the full buffet and $28 for Wailea buffet which is more of a continental fare. We ate at the buffet every morning and started to tire of it a little bit by the end of our trip. Don't get me wrong, it was tasty but would have liked to venture out to try something else. We loved ordering lunch by the pool. That was a real treat.

My daughter and I made reservation for a hiking trip which is totally worth it. It was a three hour trip down a mountain and back up. If you go hiking make sure to bring insect repellent. Those mosquitoes are man eaters out there.

We also had the concierge make reservations for a luau at the Marriott Wailea 2 properities down the beach. The food was good and we enjoyed the show but now that we experienced it once not sure we would do it again.

The true test of the resort came when I sliced my foot open while on the beach. Security came down to help and realized that the cut was much more than could be handled by a band-aid. They whisked me over to the Grand Wailea next door where there was a Dr. on call. 12 shots and 13 stitches later I was all patched up. Luckily this was our last day and were leaving for the airport a couple of hours after this happened. Also, if you have to see the Dr. at Resort Medicine with will cost you cash or credit card. They don't except insurance and it was $545 out of pocket. But I was grateful that they were there. Since we had to check out of our room before our flight and I wasn't able to walk, the FS resort let us use the Aloha suite until we were ready to leave for the airport.

Overall, we loved, loved, loved, the resort and had a wonderful time and would definitely return. The staff is top notch and so friendly. They work their rears off to make sure that everything is just perfect for you. I don't have any complaints. If you're not happy here, you wouldn't be happy anywhere. ;-)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank Midwest14
Reviewed May 14, 2008

I concur with all of the glowing reviews about Four Seasons at Wailea. The resort is classy and stylish, with beautiful, airy public spaces and large, comfortable guest rooms. The beauty of the place cannot even compare to the customer service, which is fantastic: the staff is constantly smiling and calling you by name. Just the service poolside, with cold towels, tropical drinks, offerings of fresh fruit and sunscreen is worth the room price.

The "Partial Ocean View" room my partner and I shared was great - you can see from the attached photos that it was spacious and had a terrific view of the gardens and ocean beyond. Bed is super comfortable, the bathroom HUGE and the balcony large enough to lounge and enjoy a meal on. Air conditioning is super cold - add the ceiling fan and you can comfortably sleep on even the hottest Hawaiian evening. Only complaint about the room (and the whole resort) is that the carpet (which was recently replaced as part of an overhaul of all guest rooms) was filthy dirty, with spill stains throughout the room. Very un-Four Seasons.

Food was great throughout the resort. Spago for dinner was well worth the money: terrific service, mouth-watering entrees and a super view of the beach and ocean. Ferraro's for lunch poolside was also very good, if pricey - the turkey club I had was piled high with freshly-roasted turkey, avocado and thick bacon. We had the breakfast buffet at Duo as part of our package - it's large and filled with a lot of good stuff, but probably not worth the pice of $35 per person.

Spa experience was only average, in my opinion. I was not escorted to the locker area ad shown the facilities, and I think it's odd to ask guests to go to the locker rooms behind the check-in desk, then emerge with their robes on and cross in front of the check-in (where others are arriving) to then go into the treatment waiting room. I had the scrub, wrap and massage package, and the first two segments were enjoyable, but the "Mele Wailea" massage was perhaps the most odd and uncomfortable treatment I have ever experienced. The therapist seemed to be concerned mostly with pushing on my pressure points with all of his strength, to the point of it being unbearable.

Took the recommendation of the concierge to eat at Capische, a restaurant located at the Diamond Resort a short distance from the Four Seasons. It was TERRIFIC - romantic setting, beautiful views and excellent food.

All in all, a great resort and well worth the money.

6  Thank rickh710
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!