My husband and I stayed here in May 2013 for seven nights after spending a week in Kauai. Check-in was great....welcoming valet and front desk staff. We checked in at 3pm and our room was ready. We did get the 'complimentary' room upgrade from our whatahotel.com package. For us this meant an upgrade from a partial view to an oceanview room. Our room was 622 in the south tower. When we got off the elevator I started to worry as we walked down the hall further and further from the ocean. Our room overlooked the croquet lawn and the driveway down to the valet with a distant ocean view over the trees. I was disappointed, but the bellman told us we would see the sunset from our room so we decided it would be okay. Unfortunately, this did not turn out to be true. So later that night (after sunset) we called down to see if we could change rooms. Nothing available until the next day. We decided to stick with our room because we wanted to unpack and settle into our space. In the future, I would request a room change right away and ask to be on the opposite side of the south tower. I would guess that our room is at the lower end of the "ocean view" category.
The next day was a little rocky until we fully understood the chair policy at the beach and at the infinity pool. I won't go into the details of our experience but know that at the beach, they will set up chairs and an umbrella for you but you cannot leave the beach area. If you do, they will give your spot to someone else. This has to do with Hawaii state law...all beaches are public so hotels cannot set-up chairs/umbrellas unless they are in use.
The infinity pool was not worth the hassle for me...I prefer the beach. But my husband likes some pool time so he would normally go up to the infinity pool around noon or so and put our name on the list. There was usually a spot available for us after about two hours. They will call you when something is available. We were there during a slower time of the year though, so I imagine during busy times this wait might be longer.
I really enjoyed the quietness of our stay. The hotel was not busy and there were not a lot of kids around. I'm not sure I would enjoy the hotel as much during high season. We ate at both Spago and Ferraro's. Ferraro's has a great oceanfront location, but we did not enjoy the food or service. Spago food and service were great. If you have a food preferences/allergies/restrictions, just inform your server. They were very accomodating to us. Our hotel package included the daily breakfast buffet at DUO. This was a great hotel breakfast with a wide selection of hot and cold items. The regular cost of the breakfast buffet for 2 with tip is about $90, so it was very nice to have this included in our stay. Our big breakfast typically kept us full until dinner.
The beach is beautiful but ocean conditions were not ideal during our stay. Red flag most days with two days of a red/yellow flag. Poor visibility for snorkeling. This was not just our beach but the entire south side of the island due to a large south swell. On our last day, we were able to do the stand up paddle board tour ($85 each) through the water sports partner at the hotel. It was about two hours, just the two of us and Zach (the guide/instructor). Not much instruction but we got the hang of it. Zach was a good guy and helped us spot turtles swimming around or under us. He also took pictures and pointed out a few things about the island as we paddled south towards Makena.
I did a massage and facial at the spa. The staff is very professional and I enjoyed both services. The spa itself is small with just a steam room and showers/changing/locker area. Call ahead and about discounts/packages/availability during your stay.
Overall, the Four Seasons at Wailea offered us an amazing vacation experience. The hotel was very clean and beautiful, the staff was friendly and professional, service was prompt, and the location was ideal. I'm sure that I'm leaving out a lot of important details. Here are a few final things that hopefully someone will find useful:
1. Call ahead to the valet and they will have your car waiting for you with water/towels/whatever you need.
2. The hotel is in a good location for runners. The beach path is short and sometimes crowded but I recommend running on the main road in front of the hotel. The hotel provides a running map at check-in. The fitness center is also nice with an outdoor area for cardio equipment and an indoor weight room/training studio.
3. Try Monkeypod Kitchen right up the road for great happy hour specials and local/organic/sustainable food.
4. There is a 'photo ambassador' who takes sunset pictures of guests on Friday and Saturday nights on the lawn area (with your camera). We got some great pictures.
5. Enjoy everything the hotel has to offer. We have been home now for two weeks and can't wait to start planning a return trip.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelUp, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Four Seasons reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Seasons Resort Maui At Wailea
- Four Seasons Resort Maui At Wailea Hotel Wailea
- Four Seasons Resort Maui Wailea
- Four Seasons Wailea, Maui
- Wailea Four Seasons