“Better Late than Never - Amazing Honeymoon!”

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I honeymooned at the Four Seasons Maui in October 2011. I don't know why it's taken me this long to write a review - but seeing as the perfection of this hotel is still fresh in my mind, I guess that says a lot about the hotel. Simply put, this hotel is perfect in every way - staff, food, location, beaches, pools, rooms, and so on. It's romantic, luxurious, and very well kept. My husband and I were so completely relaxed that we actually missed our flight from Maui to San Francisco because we had no idea what day it was. If you're debating staying at the Four Seasons Maui, just BOOK IT! It's pricey, but so worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DanielaNic

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Lets start off by saying this is the four seasons and I am holding them to four seasons standards (at least Hualalai's standards).
My wife and I stayed at the Trump in Oahu for 4 nights and then Four Seasons Hualalai for 5 nights. We ended our vacation with a 10 night stay at Four Seasons Maui. Both previous resorts/hotels were absolutely amazing! We wish we would have ended our honeymoon at Hualalai with a 10 night stay but we were told by family and friends that the four seasons Maui is the place to be for honeymooners... Wrong!
So on our 7th night they locked us out of our room mean while my wife and I are in towels and nothing but towels because we had just gotten a duet massage at the spa and went to the pool afterwards. We thought our key cards were not functioning properly so we had someone on the floor let us in. About 20 mins later while my wife is in the shower and I'm in my underwear I have someone knocking on my door with authority. It was a security guard telling me that my credit was no good at the resort while other guests are walking by us and I am in my boxer briefs. He then continues to tell me that they intentionally locked us out of our room and gestures me to accompany him downstairs and I tell him Ill handle it on my own time and slam the door in his face. Meanwhile I have a $18,000 limit on the card I gave them. I brush it off and wait for my wife to get out of the shower and she instantly gets upset runs downstairs to resolve the issue. She comes back telling me that they were not courteous at all and the issue was resolved. We go then have dinner at Ferraro's (which is amazing by the way and ate there 3 times while we were there) and go back to our room to find that they have never activated our card and kept us locked out. This is when I get upset and go to the front desk and ask for a manger. I tell the manager how the issue was resolved and we expected to have the card activated she apologizes and says they made a mistake. I then tell her that I don't expect the staff at four seasons to be delinquent in their process and she turns around puts her finger in my face and starts to wag it back and forth telling me how dare I say that! Meanwhile afterwards we explain how her staff is being delinquent in their duties, she then agrees.
On top of that we booked with a preferred partner and it is our honeymoon and we were told by the preferred partner to expect an upgrade to our room if available. When we arrived they told us that they had availabilities to upgrade but it would be an additional 600 dollars a night. That's an additional 6,000 dollars that we had not expected to spend. Obviously I declined the offer. There idea of an upgrade was to put us in the back of the resort over looking the driveway. Please keep in mind we were upgraded at the Trump to an ocean front 1 bedroom suite and prior to arriving at Four Seasons Maui the Four Seasons Hualalai up graded us to a 1 bedroom suite with an ocean view.
About 80 percent of the time we were not able to rent snorkeling equipment to snorkel at our beach so I would have to go to the resort next door at the Waldorf Astoria and rent equipment there.
While were discussing the Waldorf they also have an amazing pool area. If you decide to stay at the four seasons you should take a look at there pool area at the Waldorf its pretty amazing. Then continue to walk on the path is was very pretty.
The restaurants there were fantastic. The Concierge was amazing. The beach staff great with the exception to one experience where our towel lady was upset when I requested towel service. I think it was to early in the morning for her.
After coming from Hualalai the spa was very disappointing as well but it was very nice for common standards.
Some other side notes that are not so significant we were never asked if we wanted a paper in the morning which I missed a lot. Since I got into the habit of reading a paper and not my phone at the trump and Hualalai. It helped me leave the phone in our room and forget about the real world. But not at Maui, I noticed that I had my phone on me a lot more there reading the news with my breakfast.
So all in all we had a great Honeymoon we did a lot; Luau's, Horseback riding, Atving, Cultural tours, Catamaran tours, Surfing, SUP boarding, Kayaking, Cliff jumping, Swimming in Caves, seeing sunrises at the summit in Maui and then biking down, seeing the sunrise at the summit at the big island and then looking at stars at the observatory, taking a helicopter tour and a valley landing at the big island seeing Lava flows into the ocean and at the top of the mountain. Snorkeling tours where we swam with; Dolphins, sea turtles, whales, Octopus, assorted fish, and a curious Sail Fish. The Four Seasons Hualalai and Trump at Waikiki was absolutely amazing unfortunately we didn't have a good time with this resort.

Room Tip: Ask not to be upgraded to the rooms above there driveway. You will hear people coming and going all...
23  Thank ssaatch
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for submitting your detailed review of the property, especially with regards to your concerns about our front desk. I appreciate you taking the time to speak with our Assistant Director of Rooms while you were here with us.

Best regards,

Konrad Gstrein
Resort Manager

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Incredible Honeymoon.
Every aspect of this resort was perfect.
The prices seemed a tad excessive when I booked the resort, and I felt a little guilty - especially given we were there for 10 days, but it didnt take long to realize that it was worth every penny.

From the second you walk in to the lobby and get your personal tour of the resort, to the customized welcome letters, champagne and cake waiting in your room after check in - we couldnt have asked for anything more. The service was impeccable. Best food I have ever tasted - we ate at Spago's 3 nights in a row, Duo twice, Ferrarro's once and room service the rest. 10 full days and we only once ate off the resort (for lunch one day), and all I kept thinking was - I wish we ate at Ferrarro's for lunch.

If you are planning on going to Maui - spend the extra and go here. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: bring nothing with you. they have everything you could ever think of. even if things seem expensiv...
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is a bit dated but you hardly notice it. The service were great from check-in to the last day. Welcome drinks and necklaces, complimentary valet parking, beach service, 24hrs pool all added to the nice experience. Only downside is the Adult's pool. They tell you to arrive at 7:00am if you want to secure a spot but the truth is that people just leave their belongings there and hardly return. So it is definitely disappointing to see the vast majority of the beds empty but having to sign up for a waiting list.

Food and drinks are great in the restaurants, by the pool or at the bar. It's not the ultimate luxury experience but all the staff was always courteous and professional. We had a great experience all around.

2  Thank Mayan_traveller123
Reviewed February 10, 2013

So this review is long overdue. By over two years. We stayed Aug-Sept 2010. I swear I wrote one (maybe they took it off like on Yelp). My husband (of a few hours at that point) and I checked in here after our wedding reception. The front desk staff was nice enough and we were checked in pretty quickly. After that things seriously went down hill. We had booked a mountain view room and what we got was a room that overlooked the roof of some shorter building and a bit of tennis courts. Hmm. When one checks in in their wedding dress one does not expect to be booked into the room with the worst view on the property. Full disclosure: we had originally booked at the Fairmont but because they were having construction my husband convinced Expedia to move us and they moved us to the FS. Hence, the "mountain view" room. But we were ok with that as we saw the FS as an upgrade. Hardly. So the view was crappy to say the least but we thought hey we aren't going to look at it much anyway. After "hanging" out for a bit (hey we just got married) we decided to check out the grounds. We should have stayed in bed and ordered room service. As we were exploring the grounds, we were trying to locate the Serenity Pool and stopped to ask a guy working in the casual bar/restaurant by the other pool. His response? "Are you staying here?". Um, excuse me?! Wow. I can understand if we were in our swimsuits and looked like we had just wondered in from the beach but we both had on nice clothes. And don't worry we are both corporate execs and we know what nice clothes are... I couldn't believe this guy was questioning us instead of giving us couteous directions like a good FS employee should do. If only it didn't end there. We managed to shrug that off, although to be insulted on one's wedding day is beyond mortifying. The next day we went to the Serenity Pool and although the weather was crappy (was that way pretty much every day- too much wind up there) my husband insisted we get in and get a drink at the swim up bar. This time it was the bartender who was appalling. My husband wanted to use his credit card and the bartender asked our room number- we told him and then he asked to see our room keys. Seriously?! You have got to be kidding me. Another employee questioning us as if we don't belong? I didn't even know what to say. And again, we do not look like riff raff- we are both young but that doesn't mean we cannot afford FS. In fact we have travelled the world and have been to places most people never get to see. I would never stay here or recommend to family or friends. Or the 200+ docors I interact with on a weekly basis. Bottom line: grounds are nice but regular pool is lame, beach is ok and staff is horrible. Stay at Grand Wailea or the Fairmont and you will find better pools and much better service. Or if it's name you are after, stay up at the Ritz in Kapalua where they really know how to treat guests. Actually, I'm getting irritated again after this review. Time to remind all my medical groups NOT to book conferences here.

Room Tip: Book at Grand Wailea
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Carebear214
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I just came back from our trip to Hawaii. We stayed at The Four Seasons Resort for 5 nights after having a great time staying at The Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island. From the moment you enter the lobby area you are greeted by friendly staff, offered a refreshing ginger lemonade and quickly whisked away to your room. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to an ocean view suite which was spectacular! We saw whales in the distance every morning on our lanai. In the evening the room was so quiet and peaceful that we could leave the balcony doors open to allow the ocean breeze and sounds of the ocean into our suite.

The resort is luxurious, it's what you would expect on a Hawaii vacation. My wife loved shopping at Caban, a contemporary clothing store for men and women on the resort. We tried Ferraro's, the lounge bar and Duo restaurant, the food was good but we did try other restaurants conveniently close to the resort which served great food at reasonable prices (Monkey Pod Kitchen, Gannon's and Serrento's).

Overall, we loved this resort and had a great time, occasionally there were some rowdier guests in the pool area but everyone deserves to have some fun and it didn't bother us. We would recommend it to anyone looking to have a romantic gateway. It is a bit expensive but save up and you won't regret a stay here.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is recommended for maximum relaxation. Some garden view rooms face the parking gara...
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Visited in January 2010.

Value isn't what typically comes to mind when one thinks of the Four Seasons but with all the inclusions, it really was a terrific value. I'd highly recommend booking through a travel agent who specializes in the Four Seasons properties as that seemed to help. We reserved a garden room but were upgraded to an ocean view room. Complimentary yoga was included on the beach every morning which is a great deal - we pay $60/day in Jamaica for this.

Also, our package included an amazing breakfast each morning. With the huge breakfast, we usually just had a snack in the afternoon and then dinner. Plus the concierge services were terrific - we had a few vague notions of things we wanted to do and the concierge gave us great ideas and arranged everything.

It was truly magical. Our favorite thing we did was arranged for a private yoga class at sunset on the beach and during our final resting pose, a light rain began to fall - totally magical and mind-blowing.

Although it was expensive, it was worth every penny.

The bathrooms are amazing - surprising how much time you can spend in such a luxurious bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank FreezinginMinnes0ta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!