“Never been treated so rude in my life.”
Review of Four Seasons

Four Seasons
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed February 10, 2013

So this review is long overdue. By over two years. We stayed Aug-Sept 2010. I swear I wrote one (maybe they took it off like on Yelp). My husband (of a few hours at that point) and I checked in here after our wedding reception. The front desk staff was nice enough and we were checked in pretty quickly. After that things seriously went down hill. We had booked a mountain view room and what we got was a room that overlooked the roof of some shorter building and a bit of tennis courts. Hmm. When one checks in in their wedding dress one does not expect to be booked into the room with the worst view on the property. Full disclosure: we had originally booked at the Fairmont but because they were having construction my husband convinced Expedia to move us and they moved us to the FS. Hence, the "mountain view" room. But we were ok with that as we saw the FS as an upgrade. Hardly. So the view was crappy to say the least but we thought hey we aren't going to look at it much anyway. After "hanging" out for a bit (hey we just got married) we decided to check out the grounds. We should have stayed in bed and ordered room service. As we were exploring the grounds, we were trying to locate the Serenity Pool and stopped to ask a guy working in the casual bar/restaurant by the other pool. His response? "Are you staying here?". Um, excuse me?! Wow. I can understand if we were in our swimsuits and looked like we had just wondered in from the beach but we both had on nice clothes. And don't worry we are both corporate execs and we know what nice clothes are... I couldn't believe this guy was questioning us instead of giving us couteous directions like a good FS employee should do. If only it didn't end there. We managed to shrug that off, although to be insulted on one's wedding day is beyond mortifying. The next day we went to the Serenity Pool and although the weather was crappy (was that way pretty much every day- too much wind up there) my husband insisted we get in and get a drink at the swim up bar. This time it was the bartender who was appalling. My husband wanted to use his credit card and the bartender asked our room number- we told him and then he asked to see our room keys. Seriously?! You have got to be kidding me. Another employee questioning us as if we don't belong? I didn't even know what to say. And again, we do not look like riff raff- we are both young but that doesn't mean we cannot afford FS. In fact we have travelled the world and have been to places most people never get to see. I would never stay here or recommend to family or friends. Or the 200+ docors I interact with on a weekly basis. Bottom line: grounds are nice but regular pool is lame, beach is ok and staff is horrible. Stay at Grand Wailea or the Fairmont and you will find better pools and much better service. Or if it's name you are after, stay up at the Ritz in Kapalua where they really know how to treat guests. Actually, I'm getting irritated again after this review. Time to remind all my medical groups NOT to book conferences here.

Room Tip: Book at Grand Wailea
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Carebear214
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I just came back from our trip to Hawaii. We stayed at The Four Seasons Resort for 5 nights after having a great time staying at The Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island. From the moment you enter the lobby area you are greeted by friendly staff, offered a refreshing ginger lemonade and quickly whisked away to your room. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to an ocean view suite which was spectacular! We saw whales in the distance every morning on our lanai. In the evening the room was so quiet and peaceful that we could leave the balcony doors open to allow the ocean breeze and sounds of the ocean into our suite.

The resort is luxurious, it's what you would expect on a Hawaii vacation. My wife loved shopping at Caban, a contemporary clothing store for men and women on the resort. We tried Ferraro's, the lounge bar and Duo restaurant, the food was good but we did try other restaurants conveniently close to the resort which served great food at reasonable prices (Monkey Pod Kitchen, Gannon's and Serrento's).

Overall, we loved this resort and had a great time, occasionally there were some rowdier guests in the pool area but everyone deserves to have some fun and it didn't bother us. We would recommend it to anyone looking to have a romantic gateway. It is a bit expensive but save up and you won't regret a stay here.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is recommended for maximum relaxation. Some garden view rooms face the parking gara...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Visited in January 2010.

Value isn't what typically comes to mind when one thinks of the Four Seasons but with all the inclusions, it really was a terrific value. I'd highly recommend booking through a travel agent who specializes in the Four Seasons properties as that seemed to help. We reserved a garden room but were upgraded to an ocean view room. Complimentary yoga was included on the beach every morning which is a great deal - we pay $60/day in Jamaica for this.

Also, our package included an amazing breakfast each morning. With the huge breakfast, we usually just had a snack in the afternoon and then dinner. Plus the concierge services were terrific - we had a few vague notions of things we wanted to do and the concierge gave us great ideas and arranged everything.

It was truly magical. Our favorite thing we did was arranged for a private yoga class at sunset on the beach and during our final resting pose, a light rain began to fall - totally magical and mind-blowing.

Although it was expensive, it was worth every penny.

The bathrooms are amazing - surprising how much time you can spend in such a luxurious bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank FreezinginMinnes0ta
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My wife and I just returned from an 11-night stay at the Four Season's Wailea. We have travelled pretty regularly over the years and quite simply put.... this hotel is wonderful. The "aloha spirit" is everywhere and the surroundings are truly beautiful. The sunsets are unforgettable. I have been an avid reader of TripAdviser for many years and find that the consensus top choices are usually right on. THIS PLACE IS GREAT! GO THERE!

The best advice I can give to all the readers is to absolutely, positively book your stay through Whatahotel.com. I tried this "preferred provider" a few years ago as many readers mentioned them in their reviews. By using their service you receive some amazing perks (free full breakfast buffet for 2 every morning including the gratuity, a room upgrade if available, a $100 resort credit). We have booked through them for the last few years and its been a great experience as their service + perks are wonderful. LOOK THEM UP ONLINE AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FREE OFFERINGS! You'll feel silly paying $80 for breakfast when you can have it included for free everyday.

In summary, the beach is beautiful and the pools are very nice. The food is great but very expensive in the Wailea area. The hotel does offer free rides to/from dinner if you eat in Wailea. There are many good places to eat (we enjoyed Tommy Bahama, Monkeypod, Joe's, Ko's at the Fairmont, Duo at the FS. This is absolutely one of our favorite destinations. Hope you all enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sunny770
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at here for 5 nights. Wonderful luxury resort. We had a mountain view room, which was really no view at all but we weren't there for the room view. The rooms though we're great. Spacious comfortable big bathroom and dreamy bed! Nice toiletries in the bathroom.
The food in the hotel is great! Breakfast is only buffet which is expensive. But lunch and dinner are great. The lobby bar is nice and with hula as well. The beach is gorgeous. Went snorkeling just out the front with turtles and manta ray. Hired paddle boards for $40 each! Wayyyyy too expensive but it was so much fun.
Best part of resort is the adults only pool. Quiet with a view and cocktail bar. It was a considerable wait to get lounges but just go prepared to wait.
Would love to go back here, hope to in a few years time!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank sparklysuz
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here before going on to the Four Seasons on the Big Island. There was a mix up with our room, but the manager was so gracious and so very committed to providing a workable solution.

This Four Seasons isa terrific property if you are looking for more to do. We are not a big fan of the more urban tall structures without a cultural feel or true ocean views when doing an island vacation. Staying in the low rise suite with the ceiling fans and tropical flavor provided the option we prefer. We had a full ocean view and lovely patio to enjoy our paradise.

Highlights -

The cycling classes were great fun. Our instructor made it fun.

Renting a cabana - absolute must if you can do it. We had a perfect day. It was my birthday and my husband and I had a closed sofa area to enjoy privacy and lounge chairs to enjoy the view of the ocean and great poolside massages. We pushed back our dinner reservations to enjoy our retreats little longer.

Amazing food here. Very well done and creative menu.

Great beach

Fantastic spa treatment on the beach. Note: it is warm, fully enclosed, no wind. Incredible way to have a treatment.

Lots to do close to this property.

Cons

If you can't take advantage of the suites, the rooms in the tall structures are very standard. No real view unless you lean out of the balcony as they were built facing each other rather than toward the beach. Unfortunately, you are looking at the other building.

Very windy property most of the year.

If you are going to go to the Kona property, I highly recommend coming here first. It's the right order as Kona is more luxurious and more of a quiet retreat which is the perfect romantic ending to a trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terrie K
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Make no mistake this place is not cheap but when you leave you will feel it was worth every penny. Everyone on the staff will make you feel like a VIP. I've never stayed at a resort like this before. Now I can't imagine not staying here. It's worth making cuts to other areas in spending throughout the year just to spend a little extra on a vacation at the Four Seasons Maui.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tgikcg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Four Seasons? Share your experiences!