My significant other and I just returned from a two part trip to Maui. During the first part, we spent 4 days at the amazing Four Seasons, and for the second part we moved on to another resort in Kaanapali. Our stay at the FS was so amazing that we realized we should have planned our entire time there!
The resort is located in the lush surrounds of Wailea. There is a nice sand beach (public access, but safe for snorkeling and diving), paved jogging path that follows the shoreline, and it's a short distance to the shops at Wailea. The pools, while not as expansive as those at the Grand Wailea, were well designed. We were there in October when there weren't as many children taking over, so we often didn't bother with the adults-only infinity pool. And, who can beat the free cabanas, stellar poolside service, and free otter pops?
Rooms are spacious--we were able to upgrade to a partial ocean view room for an additional $20 a night on checkin, which was definitely a better view than the garden-facing rooms. But I barely spent that much time in the room...so it's not necessary to have this view to have a quiet, relaxing time.
During our stay, I made use of the resort's onsite dive company, Maui Underseas Adventures, to complete my SCUBA certification. The hotel concierge service handled all of the communication to make the dive reservations, and while a bit pricier, it really helped extend my relaxation time to not have to drive to another dive shop or get on a boat. All the dives were conducted from the beach at the hotel. The company did a great job teaching me the ropes and providing all the equipment.
We also went to the restaurants onsite--Spago and Ferraro's for dinner and Duos for breakfast. My favorite meal was probably the dinner at Ferraros...they also had a better view of the sunset in my opinion. Also, they had noted from the concierge that we were celebrating my S.O.'s birthday, so they brought out a special cake for him! Now, that's connecting the dots.
Now, we didn't have some of the problems mentioned in earlier posts, namely the winds or the feeling that there were too many people/lines for cabanas. However, we may have had some luck with this. The trade winds weren't blowing during our stay, and the hotel was not booked to capacity. However, we've stayed at the FS Hualalai before and if you are going to head to a resort to relax and not do much else, I feel like the Hualalai is better suited for this. The Wailea is more compressed and in an area with multiple other resorts, while the Hualalai is more remote and focused on nature (especially with their fish-filled saltwater snorkeling pool!).
With that all said, here's the usual pros/cons list I write for these reviews:
- Location: Nice sandy beach, lush surrounds, walking access to shops/other resorts
- Service: From the front desk to the pool, everyone helps you out with a smile
- Aloha suite: where you can shower/change/lounge if your flight doesn't fit into the checkin/checkout times
- High quality room
- Thoughtful housekeeping (they left a book light for my S.O. after seeing how many books he'd brought with him)
- Onsite dive shop had high quality equipment and was very knowledgeable. Cost for photo disc was reasonable
- Restaurants onsite
- Free wifi (if you really want to spend your time on the internet ;))
- Nice pools with well-kept cabanas/beach chairs
- Great list of daily activities
- Onsite art exhibits every day from 8AM - 1:30PM
- Spa facilities
- Scenic jogging path
- Stations with free water/coffee/tea
- The resort is a little more compressed than the Hualalai
- Cost (for rooms and spa and breakfast)
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Seasons Resort Maui At Wailea
- Four Seasons Resort Maui At Wailea Hotel Wailea
- Four Seasons Resort Maui Wailea
- Four Seasons Wailea
- Wailea Four Seasons