“It is hard to imagine having a better hotel and resort experience on Maui than staying at the Four Seasons.”

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We spent 5 glorious days at the Four Seasons Wailea and everything was outstanding. We have stayed at other FS hotels and were already familiar with their high standards, but this exceeded our expectations! Our large ocean view suite was simply spectacular.Everything about this place worked for us. The beach is very close and great for all kinds of activities - swimming, snorkelling, kayaking, paddleboarding all of which we indulged in. The beach and pool attendants were very accomodating, and we had no problems getting setup either with chairs & umbrella on the beach or a nice cabana somewhere around the pool area. The serenity pool is not to be missed, with it's swim up bar and underwater music! If you are no kid adults like us, this is the place to hang out. We ate at all three restaurants, and enjoyed them all. Our favorite though has to be Ferraro's. We had a glorious sunset dinner there with a table right at the front to watch the sun go down as we ate a wonderful dinner washed down with some excellent vino. Breakfast at Duo's is a great way to get your day started. We are not really spa people and did not use this one so have no comment.
The valet guys are all great and had our car ready and waiting each morning when we ventured out, making sure it was stocked with what we needed for the day - towels, cold water etc. The concierge helped us plan our activites such as the drive to Hana which we did, taking along a picnic basket we ordered from room service.
You cannot say that this is an inexpensive hotel, but you really do get what you pay for, and in our humble opinion the Four Seasons Wailea is worth every penny!

1 Thank chicobubba65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We just came back from the Four Seasons Wailea and absolutely loved it. The property is beautiful and well-maintained. The beach is nice and water is clean and lovely to swim in. The service was excellent, from check-in and cleaning staff, to pool/beach staff, the service is what you would expect from a FS. Our room was great, nice comfortable bed, great view, huge bathroom with great shower, all the amenities. The hotel offers lots of activities like yoga, paddling, snorkeling. I did the beach yoga which was nice, also went snorkeling which was a lot of fun; we saw a lot of great fish and turtles. The spa was nice, but not the best I’ve been to. I got two services, the esthetician (I forget her name) was great, and my hot stone massage was nice. I felt like the spa could have been nicer, the waiting area wasn’t anything special. They had a ginger tea which wasn’t great, and the lights in the waiting area could have been dimmer. There is another waiting area before you enter the massage rooms; I waited there for a bit b/c there were less people there than the standard waiting are. However, that room did not have any music playing and you can hear people’s conversations outside, not very relaxing. Also, there is no way to get to the waiting area from the changing rooms without going through the entrance of the spa where people are checking in.. not the best experience. Other than that, no complaints. Breakfast was really great, they had everything you can imagine. Food overall at the resort was stellar. We ate at DUO, Ferraro’s and Spago.. all very good. The view at Ferraro’s during sunset is incredible. I recommend making a reservation for 5:30 and getting a nice table in the very front. Upon check-out, they told us we could stay until 5pm (we were taking the red-eye) which was really nice because we got to clean up before our flight. Overall, great experience, I recommend this hotel and I will definitely be back!

2 Thank Rachel D
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2012

First class service. The shuttles are prompt and clean. Very pleased on them. Our room was also clean, and house keeping would come when you called them, which we like because we are early raisers. Food and drinks were outstanding at the pool. Little pricey. Room service was outstanding for breakfast and dinner. The only thing I would change is there is no bar that opens before 10 or stay open later than 10. Would recommend the hotel if you are staying in Wailea.

Room Tip: High floors are best
1 Thank Jessica Knight H
Boston
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have stayed at all the best resorts on all of the islands in Hawaii, but none compare to the Four Seasons Maui. The whole staff is amazing. They really go above and beyond to make sure you have the best possible stay. Their kindness is genuine and their professionalism is beyond compare. We had eight blissful nights. I have never slept so well while away from home. I was never made to feel that by asking for something I needed was any bother.

We just returned and I miss it already. Everything is pristine. There is hardly a leave left on the ground, the hallways were shampooed more than once during our stay and the marble just glistens. Cleanliness is important to me at any resort I stay at. I have to say that the Four Seasons Maui is the cleanest place I have ever stayed at.

The staff just seems to be there when you need something, but they are never overbearing. One night just as turndown came in I left my sunglasses on the dresser. After they left I came in from the lanai and noticed that they had placed an eyeglass cleaning cloth underneath them. This is just a small example of how they just get IT. They do these small things constantly. When we checked out and got into our car to head to the airport, they had placed a tasty bag of jellybeans and the directions to the airport on our dashboard. How can one leave there and not remember these things? Some days I needed my room cleaned at a certain time. All I had to do was call and within five minutes they were there. It was the same when calling in-room dining to remove our table.

It was quite busy while we were there, but you would never have known it. Everything just flowed as it should have. They have a huge staff to guest ratio. It makes all the difference. They have not cut back on service as some other resorts have. Some people complain that it is very expensive. The quality of my vacation counts, so we don't complain. With times being as crazy as they are we look for the serenity that the Four Seasons allows us. To us, the Four Seasons Maui makes memories. Memories that will last a lifetime and until our next visit.

Thank you Four Seasons Maui for the wonderful memories and the peace and relaxation you afforded us.

Room Tip: We always book a room that we know we will not regret. Don't settle for a room without a view. W...
2 Thank yellowplumeria
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Four Seasons Wailea was the first stop on our honeymoon a few weeks ago.

We were immediately greeted by valet as well as a check in assistance who offered us their house lemonade and a refreshing towel. The hotel itself is very beautiful; the lobby is all open air. I think what sets this hotel apart for many other mid-range 4S is the service. They cater to your every whim and are always saying hello and asking what they can do for you. The wait staff at the restaurants were very accommodating as well. We had a free bottle of champagne and fondue upon arrival in our room. Such a nice touch.

Room. We were upgraded to a Prime Ocean View. We had originally booked the mountainside room but upon check in, we were told we could upgrade for $40/night. I have an issue with the fact that they called our room Prime Ocean View. We still had an obstruction on the left side of our balcony so it was not a full ocean view. To me, it's kind of a gimmick, into making people think that they are getting a full ocean view. I would have called it a Partial Ocean View room. We probably would have still agreed to the $40/night upgrade but I was disappointed when we arrived in the room and saw that.
The room itself was very spacious; bed was comfortable and bathroom was amazing! Separate shower, tub and toilet. Dual sink vanity. The bathroom even had a selection of music you could play over the speakers. We had it set on Hawaiian music the whole time :)
The twice daily service of the room is nice and they provide an empty mini bar so you can order whatever you want [at a cost of course]. Nice touch.

Restaurants. We did not dine at Spago. We weren't really in to getting all fancy and having an intense dinner while on our honeymoon, therefore I cannot comment on that particular restaurant. We did dine at Ferraro's for lunch and dinner [both very good] as well as DUO for breakfast [we did not eat dinner there]. We were lucky to have breakfast included with our room rate so we didn't have to worry about paying $35/person for the buffet. However, the buffet was very delicious and I highly recommend it.

Spa. This is where I was very disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the treatments were excellent and they had a promotion where couples treatments were 20% off which was a pretty good deal. My husband and I each got a massage. I went down early so I could enjoy using the facilities beforehand. Problem is, there were none! Except for a Eucalyptus steam room... there was no whirlpool, etc. This was surprising to me given the caliber of the property and the setting. I would also recommend doing a massage outside. It is worth the extra $20 to be in the oceanside hale as opposed to inside. I wish we would have recognized that. I probably wouldn't use the spa again given their lack of pre and post treatment facilities. At their prices, I expect those amenities.

Valet. These guys were great and were always smiling. They were able to give us some tips on places to go. Two thumbs up from them.

Activities/Pools. The pools are great. Everyone talks about the wait list at the Serenity Pool. It is totally worth getting a chair there. You just have to go early as there's just not a lot of chairs for the size of the hotel. We sat at the Serenity pool our first day. The view, swim up bar and general atmosphere [it's a quiet pool until about 3pm] was superb. We were there in what is considered the off season and we were fine getting a chair at 8am. The main pool, the Fountain pool, was really nice as well. There are free shaded cabanas on each level that you can use at no extra charge. I liked this pool a lot. We also hung out at the beach but ended up leaving in the mid afternoon as it began to rain.
We also did the outrigger canoe which was really fun. It's no charge and lasts about an hour. It's a good way to get in some exercise and also see sea turtles! Definitely make reservations to do this as only four people can go in the canoe at once.

Overall, our experience was great. There were just a few things that bothered me [as noted above], but the hotel really does go above and beyond to make your stay memorable. I would have probably given the hotel 5 stars, but after staying at the Four Seasons Hualalai on the end of our trip, I knocked my rating down to 4 stars, which I still think is generous and will let other travels know the quality of this property.

Room Tip: Don't fall for the Prime Ocean View. Definitely ask to see the view before agreeing to paying th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for submitting your detailed review of the property, especially with regards to our housekeeping service, valet and spa. Feedback such as this is valued and will be taken into consideration, as we are always striving to maintain a high level of excellence. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact me at konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com or 808.874.2212.

Best Regards,
Konrad Gstrein
Resort Manager
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed October 1, 2012

TWO ADULTS, STAYED ONE WEEK - There are so many positive comments posted already on this site regarding this property (which I do concur!) therefore I will try to avoid any redundancy and just state some facts comparing ‘apples to apples’ vs. all other local and international luxury hotels/ resorts I’ve experienced;

1. GENERAL – Without a doubt, this resort deserves to boast Travelers' Choice® 2012 Winner. Definitely one of the BEST LUXURY resorts I've ever stayed at, period.
2. ROOM – Excellent – ** PLEASE NOTE** Having said that, we selected the most BASIC room – “no view”, no upgrade, and essentially we personally believe there is no need to pay hundreds $$$ more per night for any upgrade – UNLESS one of your MUST HAVE requirements include spending time staying in your room or your private balcony. The incredible grounds and all amenities offered to all who stay at this resort, will ensure you spend time in your room only to sleep and shower. (We never even turned on the television – not once!)
3. PROPERTY – Second to none. Including the beach. The grounds were impeccable. You can spend days just becoming a lounging expert on the too many areas that have a cabana, chaise/ lounger, or hammock with a view!
4. STAFF – Overall the most friendly and helpful I’ve ever experienced – not to mention I’ve never been waited on in a cabana like this before. Every 30 minutes someone would also drop by offering free tasters; from pineapple on a stick, yogurt, popsicles, all the water you want, etc…
5. PRICE – You get what you pay for
6. FINAL THOUGHTS – Take advantage of ALL the amenities which are INCLUDED for all packages; paddle boarding, kayak, team outrigger, snorkeling, etc. – I don’t think we even tried them all. Try the restaurants – Great breakfast buffets had on a daily basis at DUO restaurant. Dinner at Ferraro’s also very good.
7. RECOMMEND IT? – Absolutely

Room Tip: The most BASIC room – “no view”, no upgrade, is all you need - UNLESS you want to live on a balcony...
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from our honeymoon in Hawaii, and we had a fabulous time. We went back and forth many times on which hotels to stay at and which islands to visit. We stayed on the island of Lana'i for four nights before coming to the Four Seasons in Wailea. We kept going back and forth after reading reviews of many hotels, and I'm happy to say that we made the right choice! The hotel was gorgeous and they were able to upgrade our room when we checked in. The room was huge, clean, and had a spectacular view. We had received complimentary breakfast as part of our package, and it was amazing! The breakfast buffet has tons of options, and also a made-to-order waffle, pancake, omelet, and french toast station. The beach was gorgeous, clean, and the beach and pool attendants were so accommodating. The fruit infused water by the pool, and complimentary sunscreen was greatly appreciated. The service was above and beyond, and made our honeymoon so wonderful and memorable, that we can't wait to return! Thank you Four Seasons!

2 Thank s k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!