“Can I give it 6 stars!!!!!!!!”

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
LA
“Can I give it 6 stars!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

One word sums up the Four Seasons - WOW. After reading all of the reviews here on tripadvisor I was very excited to go to the Four Seasons. I was also worried that everyone may have set my expectations so high that they could not be met. Well those expectations were not only met they were exceeded.

We arrived on a Monday evening and were promptly greeted and quickly checked in. Did not get an upgrade as it was a busy upcoming week being right before Thanksgiving. The bellboy June gave us a quick rundown of the resort and where everything was and led us to our room. June was very helpful and remembered our name throughout the whole week that we were there. Our room was a garden view on the 4th floor. Upon arriving in our room we had a bottle of champagne waiting on us as we were celebrating our 20th anniversary.

The room is rather large with a wonderful bathroom which has several different styles of music you can play on the built in speaker system in the bathroom. We usually kept it on Hawaiian music to get our day or evening started.

The landscaping around the pool was simply wonderful. The atmosphere of the resort around the pools was spectacular. Wailea beach right in front of the hotel was great.

I did use Maui Undersea Adventures on site to do some scuba diving while at the resort. They were also wonderful.

One of the best locations on the property is the serenity pool. The pictures you see of it just don't do it justice. We had a great time just relaxing at the serenity pool.

Used the car service several times to bring us to different locations in Wailea. They were always prompt in bringing us and picking us up.

The staff was very helpful and it was amazing how many of the staff members remembered your name throughout the week.

This was our third trip to Maui and no doubt the best because of the Four Seasons. Our other two times we stayed at the Fairmont and the Grand Wailea. While those two resorts are great, they just don't measure up to the Four Seasons.

No doubt this was the best resort that we have ever stayed at. Just doesn't seem fair that I rated some other resorts as Excellent when compared to the Four Seasons. There should be another category to put the Four Seasons in by itself - 6 stars!!!!!!!!

We will definitely be headed back to the Four Seasons.

2 Thank rjf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,207)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Very kid friendly and pampering experience for the entire family.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Florida Keys, Florida
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I ended a two week stay on Maui with 3 nights at the Four Seasons to celebrate my fiance's 50th birthday. After spending the first week and a half in upcountry Maui and exploring every piece of the island that we could, the Four Seasons was a perfec way to end a perfect trip. It exceeded my expectations on so many levels....from the spa, to the service poolside, the beautiful location, yoga on the beach, the birthday suprises left for us, the upgraded room....everything about it made me forget about the pricetag and wish we had stayed longer! I booked through Whatahotel, and we recieved many perks that increased the value of our stay including complimentary breakfast each morning and the buffet was fresh and delicious. We indulged in a oceanside couples massage which was amazing and the spa was one of the most beautiful I had ever been to.
We had a couple of very small issues that were handled by smiling faces within minutes and no need was left unfufilled. I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone that wants a top-notch experience in Maui...but Maui is way to beautiful to be left unexplored so be sure to force yourself to leave the resort and see as much as you can. Once you check into this resort you will have trouble wanting to leave!

4 Thank iluvsophia
wisconsin
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We won a week's stay at this resort and it was awesome. If we would have had to pay for it though, I'm not sure it would have been that awesome. Don't get me wrong, there was not one thing I can think of to complain about. It's just that for the price you pay, I guess I would expect exceptional service, food, accomodations, etc. My husband and I both agreed that it was a vacation of a lifetime since we could never bring ourselves to spend that type of money and come back. Guess it's all relative to how much money you have and where your priorities lie.

We were on the club floor and took use of the free food and beverages in the club lounge. Everyone there was so nice and helpful, always greeting us by our names. We couldn't figure out how they were so quick to appear when you entered the room until they showed us tthe hidden motion sensor. The breakfast food and snacks and desserts thru out the day were amazing and always very good. Some things were almost too pretty to eat.

Service at the pool was also amazing. They were constantly filling up your water and asking if you needed anything from the bar. We enjoyed talking to the staff and hearing how they ended up in Maui.

We took advantage of the free canoe trip they offer from the beach. Be sure to sign up for this right away since the timeslots fill up fast. It is only a half hour and you don't need to be in great shape to do it. There is a lot of rest stops where the tour guide stops to talk.

We also took advantage of the free snorkel gear. Not much to look at compared to the catamaran snorkel tours we have done in the past. We regret not booking one this time.

Hotel room was really nice. We were joking that there must be cameras in the room because it seems everytime you leave, your dirty towels get replaced with clean ones. The main area of the room was pretty basic but the bathroom was amazing. It was huge and fully stocked with lotions, soaps, shampoo, conditioner, etc.

We ate at the 2 of the restautrants (Duos and Ferraros). Both were really good but then again, when you are paying $50 or more for an entree, would you expect less?

Overall the property is well maintained and very pretty. Unlike other resorts, they are very detail oriented and try to make your stay as wonderful as possible. We were in the club lounger one night and young couple came in looking for chocolate chip cookies and they had none but the staff went out of their way to find them some with 15 minutes. If there was anything you needed, they will go out of their way to get it for you.

2 Thank cathyfromwi
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Beautiful property kept in good condition in spite of its age. Majority of staff are friendly, helpful, and very service oriented. Some are less so. It seems that traveling to this property during a slow period unfortunately results in slightly less attentive service, fewer staff stretched with more work, and an unn Four Seasons like lackadaisical attitude. Unfortunately that can be visible to guests. Housekeeping is late and slow. Servers in restaurant at breakfast are sparse and slow. Dirty dishes piled up on tables a couple says, etc. regardless of the seasons, the standards should be maintained. Wish restaurants had some healthier items on the menu.

4 Thank Mac B
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience at the resort. It is truly disheartening to learn that service levels fell short of your expectations and that some employees failed to provide the usual courtesy and aloha spirit for which we are known. I ensure you that your comments are being taken seriously and will be addressed in the appropriate retraining of the staff. I sincerely apologize and would like to offer you my contact information so that we can work toward a resolution. Please feel free to contact me at maria.jagla@fourseasons.com or 808.874.2212.

Best Regards,
Maria Jagla
Resort Manager
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Four Seasons Maui was fantastic in every way. Food, rooms, pool, service, landscaping, reef right in front of the beach to snorkel. Everything was fantastic.

Obviously, not a budget resort, but worth every penny!

Mojitos in the lobby bar were the best i've ever tasted :)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank NorthShore11
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Let me start by saying that every Four Seasons hotel I've stayed at has been a cut above anything around it and this one is no exception. The pools, rooms and restaurants are all first rate as one would expect from this chain. In addition, I went for a couple of scuba dives with the on-site dive shop and both were excellent. I received just the right amount of guidance after explaining it had been a few years since my last dive. Generally speaking my stay there was as great as I expected it to be.

With that said, there were a few disappointments. If you have stayed in a smaller Four Seasons before, understand that this is a massive property and as such it seems impossible for them to be quite as attentive. Another casualty of the sheer size of the place is the serenity pool. This pool, similar to their other resorts, is wonderful and definite step up from the larger family pool if you don't have kids. Unfortunately it became a stress point for my girlfriend and I as everyday became a race to get down to the pool in the morning to reserve a chair before it filled up. If we were later than 10 - 11am, we were put on a waiting list and were forced to sit at the bar and watch the attendant expectantly for our turn in the que for a seat - a process that sometimes took hours. Even more frustrating, there was no process for advance reservations. My suggestion to them is to provide advance notice to guests of the popularity of the serenity pool at check-in and offer a reservation system of some sort so other plans can be made on days when the pool is exceptionally busy.

A couple of other small issues: We had some tiny bugs crawling around our room. They weren't bed bugs and were harmless but nonetheless we noticed the hotel sent a memo around indicating to guests that some sort of insect spraying was under way. Also the beds are unusually soft - if you like a firm mattress you may not sleep as well - I didn't.

Bottom line, this is a wonderful property in the tradition of Four Seasons but if you are used to the dignified, attentive service of some of their smaller hotels this one might not provide the same experience.

Room Tip: As about a room with a firmer mattress
6 Thank Doogie5511
Aloha from Maui!

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your overall experience and that the Maui Undersea Adventures staff provided you with an excellent dive! However, it is disconcerting to learn that we fell short of your expectations in other ways, especially in regards to your serenity pool experience, bugs, and comfort of your mattress. Feedback from valuable guests such as yourself is taken seriously and applied to our constant efforts to maintain the level of luxury travel for which we are known. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize and to offer my contact information so that we can further discuss these issues. I hope to hear from you at maria.jagla@fourseasons.com or 808.874.2212.

Best Regards,
Maria Jagla
Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!