“Our stay in F202 at Makena Surf Resort”
Review of Makena Surf

Makena Surf
“Our stay in F202 at Makena Surf Resort”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We recently stayed 5 nights in condo F202 at Makena Surf Resort.

First, we booked our room directly through Destination Resorts web side. One of their packages was a discount for using your American Express card. The discount was really great (20%) but I am not sure it really was worth it (I will try to explain below).

If you haven't looked at this resort, you really should. It is right on the ocean and all of the condos offer great views. The idea of having your own "mini house" is great since you can cook when/if you want. We like to eat dinner out but love doing our own breakfast and lunch. This actually saves quite a bit of money.

We traveled on this vacation with another couple. We stayed the first 5 night on Oahu at the Disney Aulani resort in a two bedroom condo. Since we had the master bedroom at Aulani, we decided to give the other couple the master room at Makena (in advance).

When we arrived in our room (F202), we found we had twin beds in the other bedroom. Since this was our 25th wedding anniversary trip, that was disappointing. I will NEVER book again at this resort without knowing the room, which Destination Resort would never tell me in advance (due to our "package").

The condo itself has seen use and needs to be updated. Guessing it hasn't bee refreshed in quite a few years since the counters and cabinets are really showing their age.

The location was very nice. Ocean view as promised. Wonderful views of the ocean and we saw many whales.

The room we had was on the second floor. Turns out the party in the room above us was very loud walking around (sound like running a track meet)...both a younger child and an older adult. Thinking it is due to the lack of insulation in the building given the climate.

Don't get me wrong, these complaints are pretty minor in comparison to the time we had there.

I would stay at this resort again in a heartbeat. I just wouldn't make the mistake of not knowing the bed configuration and would think twice about a 1st or 2nd floor condo.

This might be the best resort in the area given the closeness to the ocean and the fact is it on two beaches.

If you like to snorkel, this resort is for you. Many of the snorkel charters bring their customers very close to the resort.

We rented snorkeling equipment and boogie boards. Only rented two boogie boards (there were four of us) and should have rented or purchased four. I would think about purchasing cheap ones given the rental cost.

Room Tip: Look at the web site. Pictures are correct.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clark A
DestinationResortsHI, Guest Experience Manager at Makena Surf, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Aloha....We appreciate you posting a review of your visit to Makena Surf and I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed the property. I would also like to apologize for the mix up with the bedding in the unit. Sleeping on twin beds is not how I would want to spend my anniversary. I do wish however that you would have brought this to our attention as we would have been happy to push the twins together into a king and added a comfortable topper. This is something we do on a regular basis as most of our two bedroom units have twin beds in the second bedroom. Thank you again for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hallstead, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Took my parents and my family to Hawaii for the first time and after mulling over tons of reviews I decided that e103 was looking to be my pick for our first taste of Hawaii, and boy am I glad we did, this condo turned out to be the best I could hope for, it was a great location for our family. We all had great time, the grounds / gardens were gorgeous, the people were great, and being so close to the ocean puts you to sleep every night.
Make sure and check "all" the drawers when you get there the owners have done a great job to provide all the necessities you my need, binoculars, beach chairs, beach umbrella, beach towels, and the most fabulous furnishings you can imagine to be in a condo.
Don't make the mistake we did and overpack, having the washer/dryer there makes it great. This condo is newly renovated and absolutely gorgeous inside and out, the front grassy area great for sitting and watching the best sunsets you can imagine, when we return it will be E-103 only for us.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Craig R
DestinationResortsHI, Guest Experience Manager at Makena Surf, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Aloha.....Thank you so much for posting your review of Makena Surf and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon to "your home away from home" here on Maui.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed January 1, 2014

At first we were upset because I read the reviews about room B206 and I asked specifically not to get that room and we got the room anyway and when my husband spoke with one of the guys from destination about our concern he was RUDE about it and then started judging my husband asking if he was in a band and when my husband said no he asked him do you work in a motorcycle shop very inappropriate! We would of left if it wasn't for the fact that he told my husband we weren't going to be able to find anything else. Despite all of this once we walked in that door we were over joyed!! I don't care what anyone says about the room it is still very awesome the view is amazing we were so flipping happy! Everything was functional our beds were so comfortable our condo keeper Kapana was amazing!! He did above and beyond what he ever needed to do and made our stay awesome!! The beach access was the best! And the most amazing part the best part was they allowed us to have our wedding on the property overlooking the ocean because it was just a small group It was my husband and I and my mother and the officiant and photographer from Maui Angels Absolutely breathtaking and something we will never ever forget and are so grateful and thankful for. There is so much about Makena Surf that I want to say but there isn't enough space for it all. We loved it!! At the end our last day Kapana left us a wedding basket with a card and banana nut bread and spread and salts and wine and some other awesome things! It was just amazing worth every single thousand we spent!! Highly recommend Makena Surf!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Katrina S
Aloha.....I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to Makena Surf. We appreciate the high praise and recommendation, and hopefully we can welcome you back for an anniversary.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Makena Surf Condos:
This condo complex is a series of 3 story buildings of 1-4 bedroom condos all with beautiful lanais and ocean/oceanfront views! Each condo is furnished and equipped differently by their owners, but all have full kitchens and washer/dryer and large lanai. The grounds are beautiful and immaculately kept! There are 2 herb gardens on the property and you can pick some of your own dill, rosemary, parsley and arugula for your meals. There are 2 pools/2 jacuzzis that are in great shape and cleaned daily.

Our Condo:
We stayed in B305 for a week over Thanksgiving. This 2bd, 2ba condo is the perfect place! Words can't describe how comfortable and well-equipped this unit is! The kitchen has everything you need and more: high-end pots and pans, loads of Tupperware, bakeware and every utensil a cook could dream of! We ate in most days for breakfasts of fresh fruits and dinners of grilled fish chicken and pineapple on the BBQ on our lanai. The beds were extremely comfortable. Like I said...perfect! We rented directly from the owners through VRBO and the owner was a pleasure to work with.

Snorkeling/Beach:
There is superb snorkeling right out front of the condo, good for beginners and younger kids. In fact, every morning we watched all of the snorkel trip boats drop anchor right off Makena point to snorkel this beautiful reef. I think the area is called Turtle Town and it is true to its name...lots of turtles that sometimes surprise you and glide right by as you are checking out the beautiful fish and coral! The beach is easy, no big waves or strong currents. Great place for families with kids or people who are not strong swimmers.

We will return again and again!

Room Tip: We liked the 3rd floor/top floor for privacy and spectacular sunsets, but you really can't go wr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sarah1629
Berkeley, California
Reviewed October 30, 2013

It is outstanding in so many ways. But the catch is that you have to get the right units with the right furnishings. Especially given the price. E102 is on the first floor within steps to the beach. it has maybe the best furniture, kitchen, lighting and bathroom. it has automatic blackout shades! E302, we prefer a little bit better. It is a little bit smaller, but its details are a tiny bit better in most of those same aspects. You can see the beach and feel the breeze from your bedroom.

The beach is public, but virtually no one comes. The snorkeling is outstanding -- especially in the morning. All kinds of coral, colors, fish in varying sizes and guaranteed to see turtles. This is not a surfing or really a boogie board beach, but in the afternoon, the surf can be more active and fun.

its a good walking beach and if you walk far enough, there is a private area where you can lay in the sun naked should that be interesting to you.

We've been here twice and will be coming back. Only down side is the housekeeping. Its pretty inconsistent. The beds are not that great as well. Otherwise this is a 5-star resort. Make sure you look hard at the pics. E and B buildings are the best. A and C are near the road and F and G are off the beach aways. Furnishings are key, so make sure you do due diligence otherwise you can be disappointed. Pools are average, but you don't come here for the pools.

Last point, if you wait till the last week before your trip you can get some pretty sizable savings. And the money you save on eating in will be staggering. Bring some of your own stuff like teas and nuts and such. Bring binoculars.

Room Tip: See note above. E102, E103, E302, B104, B302 seemed the best options.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wein0422
DestinationResortsHI, Guest Experience Manager at Makena Surf, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Aloha......I would like to thank you for your extensive and flattering review of Makena Surf. It is a wonderful property with a lot to offer visitors to Maui who prefer to stay way from the large hotels. I would also like to thank you for bringing your housekeeping concerns to my attention. I will be following up with the housekeeping manager and we will continue to work hard to live up to your expectations in the future.

California City, California
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is a very nice and quiet property. We got a great price on an ocean front unit. The staff is efficient and helpful. Really the only complaint would be that the pictures destination resorts showed on the website were not anything like the unit we got. Our unit was an old version of what is shown. We were greeted by ants, which staff responded to quickly. The unit could use some paint and a really good cleaning but for the price and view is a good value.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank slhawk
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed in G-301 which had 4 bedrooms and over 3000 sq ft. Right on a perfect secluded beach area. Swam and snorkeled with the sea turtles everyday we were there. Condo was clean and well stocked with all the amenities you would need for a week in Maui. The sunsets on the lanai (balcony) are worth every penny you pay for this place. We shared with two other couples but the condo is so big that we were spread out and still had plenty of space and privacy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple