“Pretentious”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Wailea Ike Drive
Description: Joe's Nuevo Latino celebrates the incredible diversity of food from Latino communities around the world. Guests enjoy a culinary journey designed to introduce the best, most inspired Latin flavors blended with fresh, local ingredients. The menu features small and large plates, all equally sharable, and includes dishes such as Peruvian ceviches, Argentinian-style beef with chimichurri, Puerto Rican pastele, spicy shrimp with Ecuadorian corn cakes, Cubano conchita pibil (slow roasted pork shank), chicken tamale with Oaxacan mole, Mexican-style roasted fresh fish, and traditional Spanish pulpo a la plancha (grilled octopus). Guests will experience a contemporary, communal, high energy atmosphere and a bar featuring traditional and imagined cocktails with a particular emphasis on tequila and mezcal. The creative force is Chef de Cuisine Gary Johnson, one of Maui's top up-and-coming young culinary talents and an avid traveler with a passion to share his interpretation of nuevo latino cuisine. The award-winning management team includes partners: Chef Roger Stettler, Chef Bev Gannon, Greg Shepherd
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I wish I could say good things about Joes, but it was way too pretentious for me for a place that serves ribs and meatloaf. The wait staff was inattentive, the person at the front door was snooty when he asked if we had reservations (we did) and there were plenty of extra tables. I'm willing to spend money on a good meal but over $100.00 for meatloaf and ribs is overpriced when those items are just average tasting. This was the only meal of the trip that was disappointing. Won't be back.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The first night we went, we didn't make a reservation. It was the middle of the week and we just showed up. Our only option was to sit at the bar. We chose to leave and come back a different night when we made a reservation.

My husband had the prime rib and I had the black market ribs. Both were amazing!! We would definitely recommed this place. It's kind of hard to find, especially at night!

1  Thank Rachelle S
Reviewed August 6, 2013

It is a bit tricky to find, but we enjoyed our family dinner in a very nice setting. However, if you are going to charge high-end prices in Maui, you need to deliver high-end taste, and Joe's fell a bit short in that regard. They do have a "second entree free" special before 6:30PM which definitely helped the bill issue though. All-in-all, we enjoyed the evening, but just did not think we got full value for the dollars spent.

1  Thank Ace65
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were staying at the Four Seasons and a gentleman that vacations here frequently suggested we try Joe's. It is more a local hangout but serves elegant comfort food. It is located at the tennis facility and overlooks the courts and also has a view of the ocean and sunsets. You park in their lot and they had a golf cart drive you down the hill to the restaurant. We started with their famous crab dip. It is served hot with flaky dipping chips. My wife and I really enjoyed it. The portion is large and would be plenty for a group of 4. Since it was just the 2 of us we knuckled down and found a way to eat it all. Once we had all the crab dip we decided to just go straight to the dinner. No room for salads or other appetizers. My wife had the baby back ribs and they were very tender and flavorful. The sauce was very good. I had the fish special which was Mahi Mahi with aioli and crumbled macadamia nuts. It was very rich and flavorful. We enjoyed this dinner and would suggest you give it a try. Get off the resort property and enjoy a meal.

2  Thank swiftmi
Reviewed August 2, 2013

HI:

Had a delightful, flavourful meal and enjoyed great views. Service was attentive. Added benefit was receiving a discount since we had eaten at their other restaurant (Gannon's) and kept the receipt. I would return in a heartbeat.

1  Thank Canukgal