“Awesome, new, upspace townhomes w/ GW pool privaledges”

Ho'olei at Grand Wailea
san diego
“Awesome, new, upspace townhomes w/ GW pool privaledges”
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We stayed 5 nights and had a great time.

SERVICE: Staff here is great. Courteous and always willing to help. On arrival, I asked about pizza places as it was late and we were hungry and within 5 minutes a few menus from local pizza joints arrived.

LOCATION: Short walk to GW depending on where you are in the complex. We paid for a non-view location which is closer to the resort but still ended up with a beautiful ocean view. Travelling w/ 2 small children the pool access to GW was key. There are complimentary shuttles as well which will pick you up and drop you off (deluxe golf cart).

CONS: Aside from the cost ($999 - $1099/nt), the only downside was some construction in the area -- all relatively minor such as cutting tile, painting, landscaping, etc. but still there was minor noise throughout the day and when travelling with small children can be difficult to put them down for naps, etc. That being said, my wife mentioned this to the staff and they were nice enough bring by some dessert so I think they understand that this can be an issue.

All in all, very happy we stayed here. The Ho'olei pools are very nice and salt water which is a bit nicer on the skin. Also, staying with small ones having a kitchen and more room made it much more enjoyable for everyone.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Montana
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed at Ho'olei for 7 nights with my family of 6 adults and 3 young children. We stayed in the Maile townhouse, which was above and beyond our expectations! Ask for unit 57-5! We had ocean views from our 3 lanais and watched the whales every morning while eating breakfast. The amenities are gorgeous and if you need anything they bring it to you within a few minutes. The Grand Wailea is across the street. Guests have privileges to use their pools and restaurants. We took the electric car shuttle (which you call for and it arrives in 5 min.) to the hotel since we had kids, beach toys, and heavy beach bags. When you are ready you call and they come pick you up and take you back to Ho'olei. Very convenient. It is not a long walk if you are without little kids. Staying at Ho'olei was like having the best of both worlds, a condo and it's conveniences as well as the amenities of a hotel (pools, restaurants, beach towels, beach chairs). The Ho'olei pool was beautiful and deserted. You are sure to get a seat there!
We all agreed that we would be returning to Maui and Ho'olei in the near future.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I just returned several days ago from a 7 night stay at the Ho'olei with a family I nanny for. They had stayed many times at the Grand Wailea and were eager to try out the new condos directly across the street.
We had arranged transportation through the hotel and were quite dissapointed when we arrived at the airport that they had forgotten to send someone. They quickly made up for delivering a giant display of fruit and cookies with a note of appology.
Every staff member was extremely kind and helpful. They interacted well with the children and really made our stay that much more enjoyable.
As I don't normally stay at resorts with this level of luxury or standards, I found everything to be more than acceptable. Granted I felt everything at the resort was way over priced for my budget! However, the family did find several faults, which included: the kitchen lacked any staples needed for cooking, so although we had an amazing gourmet kitchen it would have benefited from some simple items like salt and pepper, sugar, etc. The shuttles did take a while to pick you up and take you to the Grand Wailea (I thought it was much faster to walk, and I like walking anyways), and the cleaning crew only comes once per week. I wouldn't consider any of these deal breakers though! I would definitely stay at the Ho'olei or the Grand Wailea again, but not on my own dollar, it was way out of my league! :)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenny_Lynn84
Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I love Hawaii and Maui in particular. I have stayed at the Grand Wailea, Kai Lani and The Four Seasons multiple times in the past and was looking to again stay in Wailea, which has always been the warmest and most luxurious part of Maui. Through research online and speaking with my travel agent I came across a new townhome complex attached to the Grand Wailea called the Ho'olei. The specs on the home were exceptional 2700 sq feet with a 1000 sq ft lanai (deck), 3 Bedroom, 3.5 Baths with elevator inside the unit. I decided to give it a try based on the Grand Wailea name and I have never been happier. My older parents one of whom has had two knee replacements, two friends and my wife and I all stayed in our one home. My father was able to use the elevator to change floors and the luxurious decor and furnishings were like nothing I have ever seen in any home I have ever stayed in. The bedrooms each had a full bath attached to them, and the kitchen used nothing but the nicest appliances. The views from the deck were amazing, you could see from Kaanapali to Makena from the balcony. Our view of the ocean was completely unblocked and made for an amazing setting for a BBQ with a huge Wolf grill to cook the steaks.

We had an exceptional time at the Ho'olei, we could call the concierge anytime and get a direct shuttle pickup to the private pool for my father who has knee issues. The pool is beautiful with waterfalls and and sand and had countless private areas for our group to enjoy and sprawl out.

Although we never used it the pool area also had a exercise center attached to it that looked to be very nice and private.

We ended up staying in a unit that had just been completed a week or two before and got it for under 1200 a night. I have yet to see value like this at any resort i have ever stayed at. For six adults and a home the size of this there truly is no better value anywhere in Maui.

We are all planning on a follow up trip next year to the Ho'olei during May and could not be any more excited. The Ho'olei has permanently sold me as the best place to stay in Wailea.

• Liked — The furnishings in the home
  • Disliked — Not on the water
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Cupertino
Reviewed December 23, 2008

My wife and I spent a week in one of the Ho'olei condos as part of a Hawaii getaway (after two days in Waikiki for business). These are very large and luxuriously appointed units -- two floors, three bedrooms and 3-1/2 baths -- more than the two of us needed. We would never have paid (or been able to afford) the standard rate for one of these units, but was able to arrange the stay directly with the unit owner. If you are planning to be out and about all the time, this may not be the right place; but for just hanging out, it was great! We don't play golf, but a new course runs along the boundary.

With a fully furnished kitchen, we brought in groceries and cooked more than half our meals. The weather, for the most part, was overcast with heavy rain one day. We were happy to stay indoors and relax. We used the exercise facility several times. Walking across the street and through the resort got us to the beach and expensive Mai Tais at sunset.

The Ho'olei facility seems ideally suited for families or multiple couples that want to enjoy luxury, privacy and easy access to the Wailea area on Maui. The multiple bedrooms make this feasible. The main room on the upper floor (entertainment area and open kitchen) with the open lanai (with BBQ grill) creates a large area for informal gathering. The view is wonderful. Units along the uppermost row of condos have an uninterrupted view, but the lower ones will see only the beach area between the two major resorts. (The sunsets look the same.)

Bring your favorite music. There is a CD player. If you have an iPod or MP3 player, bring a cable with two mini-RCA plugs -- I couldn't find one. There is free WiFi if you insist on bringing your laptop.

• Liked — Luxurious and private
  • Disliked — It wasn't right on the beach
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
San Jose
Reviewed December 16, 2008

We spent ten days in Wailea, Maui for a long awaited family vacation. We really wanted to try a condo vacation so we split our time between Ho'olei at the Grand Wailea and Wailea Beach Villas. The first 5 nights of our vacation were spent at Ho'olei and the last 5 nights were spent at Wailea Beach Villas. Our vacation was awesome. We loved our condo at Ho'olei - it was incredibly spacious with 3 bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms (though we did not have an ocean view). The condo was very well decorated and the staff on site were very helpful. In addition to the nightly rate, there was a $500 charge for mid-week and move-out housecleaning. We did have access to the Grand Wailea Resort but we did not use the resort except for one time. We found the Grand Wailea pool area very crowded and not at all relaxing. We ended up spending our lazy days on Wailea Beach. We did not like having to be shuttled to the Grand Wailea or the Shops of Wailea from Ho'olei though we did appreciate the service. Ho'olei would have been the perfect condo resort if it were beach front. The cost was high based on the location and we are not sure that we would return again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank WaileaWailea4Me
San Francisco
Reviewed October 26, 2008

My wife and I stayed here with two other couples for a week. The condo was beautiful and comfortable -- a wall of glass doors rolls away to create a big open common area connecting the kitchen, the living room and the large patio. One friend who is currently building a house commented "I'm suddenly less excited about our new home." It was really that nice (the tub that filled from a spout in the ceiling was an over-the-top touch).

Our condo had nice little touches that made the stay more pleasant, including: ipod clock radios in every room, a juicer to make fresh-squeezed OJ and margaritas easier, and beach chairs and umbrellas.

The staff was incredibly pleasant. I commented on this while at the swim up bar across the street and was told that the Ho'olei was allowed to cherry pick the best staff from the Grand Wailea which based on our experience I believe.

The pool was pleasant and quiet -- a nice alternative to the Wailea's which is also nice but elaborate, busy and crowded.

We all agreed that we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank dtap2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Ho'olei at Grand Wailea? Share your experiences!