“Matteo is back”
Review of Matteo's Osteria

Matteo's Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Matteo's Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Matteo’s Osteria is Italian Soulfood in the heart of Wailea located at The Wailea Town Center. As the 2016 ‘Aipono Award winners for "Best Italian Restaurant on Maui," we invite you to savor our healthy, locally-sourced, homemade pastas, pizzette and entrées. Our traditional style comes from the influence of 2016 'Aipono Award-winning "Best Chef on Maui," Matteo Mistura, born and raised in Liguria, Italy. If you enjoy a truly unique family style dining experience, we ask you to come for our friendly, attentive staff and tour the world through a glass of wine with the largest wine selection by the glass in the State of Hawaii. After making a splash with a new approach to high end Italian cuisine when opening in December 2013, we have been winning awards and growing in popularity with visitors and locals alike. As part of this commitment to bring the best Italian cuisine possible to the island, we are going to focus our attention on dinner services, therefore closing for lunch.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was excited when I heard that Matteo was coming back to Maui, I had eaten his food numerous times and was saddened when he closed his pizzeria. I went to dinner at his new place anticipating a great meal, I was not dissapointed, The food, the service and the ambiance were all excellent. I will be a frequent customer. Welcome back Matteo.

1  Thank DHawaii2014

Reviewed February 28, 2014

My friends and I arrived around 2'ish for a late lunch which turned out to be good timing as the restaurant wasn't too busy. We all raved about our food; it was excellent! Great flavors and lovely presentation. The wine list is extensive with many wines available by the glass. The only jarring note was our waiter who was a bit full of himself and fancied himself an expert on everything from wine to the art of waiting tables. His banter and insistence on calling us "his friends" was so obviously designed to ensure tips that it was actually quite funny. Personally, I would have preferred just simple service delivered with sincerity.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Matteo's Osteria offers great food, great atmosphere and is therefore an easy to recommend restaurant. After a week of dinning in Wailea at all of the signature restaurants in the big resort properties, my wife and I wanted to find a relaxed environment for dinner. We found Matteo's and it was an absolute home run. We shared a Carbonara pizzette, followed by a Spinach salad and then the Pasta. Delicious pasta. The Ravioli alla Mantovana was delicious and the Gnocchi was out of this world excellent. This food coupled with the wine list and atmosphere makes for a compelling recommendation to find your way to Matteo's when in Maui.

1  Thank HJF_2010
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Though Matteo's Osteria is relatively new, I've eaten his food before when he was the chef at Ferraro's at the Four Seasons, at his Pizzeria and at private dinners where he has cooked. Prior to opening the Osteria, he and his wife, Gianna, traveled the world before ending up in his native Italy where he worked in several restaurants. What he has achieved here is really quite remarkable. The restaurant is busy with repeat diners after being open only a few months. Tucked away in a small commercial/retail center in Wailea, the restaurant is smart and contemporary with both indoor and outdoor seating. Something like 40 wines by the glass are available and kept fresh by a wine preservation system. There is a large cellar with a great selection of Italian wines.

The food is authenticly Italian. Appetizers are varied. We've hat the battuto which is like a steak tartare and is excellent. I've had the mussels, oysters and a great cold seafood salad. Salads are really good. Decent portions with interesting additions. Last night one friend had the super healthy salad that was filled with what I normally consider to be what my food eats but he claimed was delicious. I had the zucca and another friend had the Ceasar both of which we liked a lot.

There are great pizzas which I like as an appetizer - one of which is topped with beef filet and just incredible. One friend had the squid ink fettucine while I had a putanesca with shrimps. Another had the bolognese. I also enjoyed a taste of the papparedelle with lamb ragu. All pastas are made in house. We've had wonderful Saltimbocca and excellent filet medallions and a gorgeous ahi tuna.

Desserts were wonderful with my favorite being the apple tart. There was a very good cheesecake and an affogato among other sweets. Service was excellent. The chef stopped by twice to explain the specials and make sure we were happy. My reply was that I could not be happier!

2  Thank ManfromMaui
GMistura, Owner at Matteo's Osteria, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

What a beautiful review! We so appreciate your proffered guidance for our future guests :) Meeting and exceeding guests' expectations is always a pleasure. Grazie!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Matteos is within walking distance of our condo here in Maui. After reading numerous reviews we decided to try it out for our Valentines Dinner the evening before the day. The restaurant filled up quickly giving the space a very vibrant atmosphere. We were happy to have a reservation. The wait staff is pleasant but very disorganized. My appetizer arrived nearly 10 minutes before my husbands who was having a very uncomplicated cheese platter. The platter can easily serve 2-4 people but this was not explained to us. My cold seafood salad was bland and scooped onto lettuce leaves which was unappealing. My husband chose the beef tenderloin as his entree. I scoffed at that choice in and Italian Cucina but it turned out that this dish was excellent. My pasta and shrimp on the other hand, was disappointing. The shrimp overcooked, the sauce so spicy it burned in my mouth and took away any taste of the puttanesca sauce. However, the serving was more than ample for one. The wine list is varied with an excellent choice from various countries.
We have found that many restaurants use too much salt in their dishes. This one was no exception. The pizza bread served with the cheese appetizer was loaded with it. The bill for two, with wine and tip, no dessert or coffee, was just over $200. A bit much for the service and quality of food.

2  Thank LJoanne

Been to Matteo's Osteria? Share your experiences!