“Enjoyed family style fare in at a trendy spot!”
Review of Ka'ana Kitchen

Ka'ana Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Ka'ana Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 50 Restaurants in Wailea
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Situated in the trendy Andaz Hotel in Wailea, we were delighted by the sophisticated, warm ambiance and friendly greetings at Ka'Ana Kitchen. Our server was very nice and attentive from the start, walking us through the unique menu layout and offering us drink and menu suggestions. The four of us shared the Watermelon Salad (pretty good) and Grilled Octopus Salad (very tasty). We told our server how much we loved the octopus, and wished we had more. She then got the chef to grill just the octopus for us and it was delicious! So tender, we cut it with our forks. We also enjoyed the Roasted eggplant, Wagyu Striploin and the Maui Caught Fish. Each dish combined local, farm-to-table ingredients and interesting flavors, but we agreed that the grilled octopus was our favorite. We had no room for dessert as our food was quite filling.

Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

Just perfect. Service, food, concept, ambience - all of it. Maui farm to table. Taste is spot on.

Don’t be afraid to go all small plates instead of entrees. We did and it was awesome!

Wine list was a winner - staff will let you taste so you make a good choice.

Reviewed September 6, 2018

Outstanding service. They were busy but we felt very well attended to. Our server was so friendly and gracious, I actually almost huged her at the end of our meal.

Gorgeous setting + beautifully designed restaurant. When I first walked in to the Andaz Hotel, my jaw kind of dropped. It is that beautiful. The restaurant is located on the lower level above the pool & bar area which looked like a happening spot! They had live Hawaiian music we were able to enjoy during dinner since we dined on the balcony. It was pretty warm til the sun set but the views are incomparable - just don't forget to bring your sunglasses like we did!

Next time I go, I'll probably go for the chef's table since I love being able to see all of the action. I'm pescatarian though and the chef's table requires you to order their Prix Fixe meal which was kind of meat-centric. (I recall our server saying they could modify certain things to suit various dietary needs, and many diners nearby had kids eating off of their kids' menu)

Great food. I made my girlfriend order the lobster since it was her birthday - it did not disappoint! This is a great place to share a few plates since you'll probably want to taste as many dishes as you can fit in yo belly (and can afford). I love their use of local, diversified and fresh fresh ingredients - something several restaurants we've tried on Maui lack.
We did not try the dessert since I had baked a cake at home, but they had a great sounding selection...I ordered a watermelon cocktail that was perfectly refreshing on that Hot evening. Their wine list was extensive and expensive, I think adding a few more by-the-glass options would be nice.

I highly recommend the Ka'ana Kitchen - can't wait to go back!

Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

6 course at the chefs table is really more like 10+ for the couple. My wife and I each got at least 4 different dishes. With wine pairing it’s a different experience for each of us and we can try out each other’s food too. The experience at the chef’s table is that your watch the whole kitchen crew do their magic. I’d say it’s a well trained crew and the open kitchen is clean, efficient, and we really enjoyed this culinary experience.

Reviewed August 29, 2018

For our last night on Maui, we decided to go to Ka'ana at the Andaz Hotel in Wailea. Ka'ana means share, and we did exactly that ordering 3 small plates and 3 mains.

To start, we ordered the watermelon salad ($15 for 3 pieces | feta, arugula & candied walnuts), octopus salad ($23 | Big Island chevre, watercress & asparagus), and pork belly on taro baos ($25 for 3). For our mains we ordered ahi belly ($28 | Japanese eggplant, ginger & yuzu dashi), lobster creole ($45 | rainbow chard, longanisa & tomato butter), and wagyu striploin ($57 | farro, salsa verde & local zucchini). Sorry, not all items pictured, but I did have a bite of everything.

First of all, the watermelon was bright red and really refreshing. However, at that price I would have expected a protein: 4 Stars.

Secondarily, the octopus salad was excellent. The tender octopus paired well w/ the local cheese and crunchy greens. I had some crap tako poke from Monkeypod earlier in the day, and this dish totally cleansed my palate: 5 Stars.

Thirdly, the pork belly brok da mout! It was crisped to perfection, and the sweetness of the taro help balance the savoriness of the pork. The chef did a great job w/ this combo: 5 Stars.

Four our mains, my rellies really enjoyed the ahi belly. It was moist and bursting w/ flavor: 5 Stars.

I ate the whole Big Island lobster, and it was super fresh and tender. The fried okra, peppers, chard, longanisa & tomatoes added texture and contrast to the sweetness of the lobster. This was my fave dish of the night: 5+++ Stars.

Lastly, the wagyu striploin was a winnah as well. I only had a bite, but this dish also showcased the chef's skills in combining ingredients. The meat was succulent and melted in your mouth. You hardly had to chew: 5 Stars.

Regarding the ambiance, it has a nice view. However, some major downsides (and the reasons this is not a 5 Star review), are the sunset, the hostess seating, and the lack of fans. For example, the sun was shining in my face. Generally I don't mind this, but it was warm as well. In addition, the hostess sat a party of 5 next to us. The restaurant was not that crowded. She should have sat us at a table closer to the kitchen to give us more room. I could see the other customer's head out of the corner of my eye as she leaned back to take pics: 3 Stars.

On the other hand, the service from JD and the team was excellent. They all showed a lot of aloha and were very attentive: 5 Stars.

I'm glad we saved the best for last and ate at Ka'ana. We were throughly disappointed at Tommy Bahama and Coconuts for our other dinners during our stay. I'll be sure to stop by Ka'ana again my next time on Maui.

Been to Ka'ana Kitchen? Share your experiences!