“simply the best”

GreenLeadersSilver level
US
“simply the best”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a fantastic week at the Andaz. I almost did not want to post a review, because we had such an amazing experience that I don't want this place to become over crowed, but the staff, the hotel and everything was so perfect that I felt I would have not been fair not to post a great review.
First of all, the hotel. Beautiful, everything is new and we like the more modern style. You can see the ocean from every pool and it never felt crowded even if it was full. In the afternoon it was difficult to find a shaded chair but we are in Hawaii...
Second: the staff. In my entire life i never found a staff more helpful or cordial. Everyone went above and beyond to help and make our entire stay a one to remember. I want to mention Crystal, she was amazing and to this day, i feel she is the best hotel host I ever met.
Jonessa was also great. And honestly I could mention every one there because they were all good, but these two ladies were amazing.
Rooms are on the small side, but we got an upgrade, so I can't really say anything bad.
The breakfast is superb, I tried almost everything and it was all good.
I wouldn't eat again at the Japanese restaurant on the property, food was ok, but definitely pricey (well, it is the same in any resort on the island, so can't really complain about this).
In summary, I can't wait to go back again. This place is truly amazing and the people working there are making it even better. If there was another star I would add it to my review.
Thanks for turning an amazing vacation into a real memory.

Green Features: they don't use plastic water bottle and give you a refillable water. Only issue with this is that since it is a new bottle it smells of plastic.
1 Thank ilcontemascet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I experienced a few notable problems at this resort notwithstanding its beautiful grounds and modern appeal. My fiancee and I actually came here predisposed to love the hotel, so it's honestly frustrating that we felt compelled to write this review post our experience. Despite the many positive reviews that may be written about this place, it was clear post the stay that I just had that there are enduring miscommunication issues with the staff.

Why was I initially coming to the Andaz excited? One reason is because my fiancee's cousin works at the Andaz in West Hollywood, and so we've been followers generally of the Andaz and its new properties. Also, relevant to this particular visit, we are planning a wedding in Maui for 2015, so we decided to come over and visit a number of different venues. We picked the Andaz as a our home base for the trip because it's new, and we figured we would also check out the hotel as a potential wedding venue. Interestingly, despite the fact that the hotel knew we were seriously considering it as our potential wedding venue, little effort was shown to rectify some of the issues described below.

The issues:

1) On our second night, we returned to the hotel in our rental car and communicated with one of the valet, who indicated that he would take care of our car. I left my sunglasses in the driver's side cup holder. In the morning, upon receipt of the car, the sunglasses were gone.

Thinking that I had gone crazy, and given that we were in a rush to visit a wedding planner that morning, we left for the day and didn't return until the evening. After scouring our room upon returning just to make sure I hadn't misplaced the sunglasses, we went downstairs and communicated with one of the staff indicating that the sunglasses had been stolen. I would describe their reaction as bordering on skeptical, yet they assured us that they would look into the matter as soon as possible and call us the next day (as we were checking out). No one called the next day; it was as if we never spoke to anyone...

So day of check out, sunglasses gone and staff not checking in with us, we proactively called and spoke with someone at the "front desk" who had no clue of our situation (don't they share notes with each other?) and passed me on to a member of security who indicated that he would look into the issue. Ultimately, we went down to check out and were handed the final bill in a matter of fact fashion with no apologies made for the valet mystery (they even kept the parking charges on the bill!). We mentioned that we wanted to speak with security again given the sunglasses issue and the lady with whom we were speaking just said "Oh yeah, I saw that in the notes." Great, thanks...

Long story short, they sent a member of security upstairs to speak with us, and no surprise, he had zero idea what the issue was because yet again, no one with whom we spoke previously passed along any notes for continuity. Felt uncoordinated and unprofessional. We decided to involve the police since the hotel wasn't showing any effort. The officer that arrived was significantly more solicitous and thoughtful than anyone we dealt with at the hotel all weekend. It was a necessary step because the hotel wasn't showing any effort to rectify the issue or apologize, and they need to be held accountable for the sake of future guests and any similar issues which may arise.

2) The night before checking out, I asked someone downstairs if we could get a razor sent to our room (as mine had a worn blade and I didn't want to drive off property to get a new one). At least 1 hour later in our room, nothing had arrived. I called down again to remind them, and again, we were assured that one would be sent up....Significant time passed yet again, so my fiancee called down. Third time was a charm, almost 2 hours post request. Such a mundane item as a razor is less the issue vs. the principal of having to wait that long in one's room after making 3 distinct requests with significant time between each request.

3) The Wifi in our room barely worked - i.e. disconnected every 30 seconds to 1 minute. For such a modern property and brand new hotel, it was kind of embarrassing. We thought about complaining but given our general experience on the property, we figured it would be a fruitless endeavor.

4) Walls are paper thin. Someone in the room above us had a penchant for dragging a chair/ottoman (something to that effect) across the floor. This person would do it frequently - once at like 3am/4am, which woke us up. I shouldn't need to hear this when I'm trying to sleep. I've stayed at enough hotels that don't have this issue that it's easy to tell the difference. Unfortunate again that a new hotel has this potential issue.

Overall, a beautiful property with some unfortunate coordination issues that make the whole experience less substantive than it should be. I likened this recent stay to that annoying phone issue we've all had at least once in our life where you call "customer service" and get put on hold excessively and/or transferred to a different department/person where you need to re-explain everything you already described to the prior person on the phone. No one should need to have that takeaway after staying at a new resort such as the Andaz.

6 Thank mhershen
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I cannot say enough amazing things about the Andaz- if you are hesitant about booking, don't be. Just do it and love every second that you are in this paradise. From the moment you walk into the stunning lobby you will feel at home. The rooms are impeccably clean and modern. Coming from someone who has OCD and anxiety about hotels, this is a huge compliment. I have never slept through the night in a hotel before, and these beds feel luxurious, clean, and super comfortable. The hotel is on a strip that has several hotels on them (Marriott, Four Seasons, Grand Waleia) but the place and the beach NEVER felt crowded. In fact, my husband and I went to dinner at the Four Seasons and on our walk back never ran into another person! We had the beach to ourselves! The beach is phenomenal during the day- but get out early to catch the morning sun. You can rent snorkel gear for $10 and snorkel all day. My husband and I swam with turtles right from the beach in front of the hotel! We saw eels, fish, and starfish in the coral. The pools are never crowded, and even though there may be a few children here and there, we found this place as a couple's haven. We loved that there were so many great restaurants right on the strip and we could walk right to them. We loved the breakfast at K'ana Kitchen. It's pricey, but we treated ourselves during the first day of our honeymoon and it started our entire vacation off with such a bang! We stayed here 5 days and then flew to Kauai, where we found that our new "hotel" couldn't hold a candle to what we had at the Andaz. In fact, we were so devastated that we cut our time on Kauai short and flew back to Maui to spend more time at the Andaz.
Here are some useful tips that might help your stay:
- There are different wings of the hotel. We lucked out the first time and got the Hema wing. Quiet, exclusive, and much smaller than the other wings. Only three floors in this wing- ask for floor 7 and you will not be disappointed.
- Call to get a reservation or to add notes to your reservation. This is how we got such a private room (we asked for one).
- Many people commented that the "garden view" looks at the parking lot. True, and if you are looking for ocean views, then you will be remiss. But what many of the reviews do NOT tell you is that you are looking at the mountains and can see the sun rise over them every morning. This was one of our favorite things: waking to the sunrise peeking over the mountain. Also, what many of the reviews do not tell you is that the entire hotel is open air. If you walk 5 feet out of your "Garden view" you can go to your floor's balcony and see the ocean anyway. So we were thrilled.
- Get to the beach early. The chairs go fast and it gets cloudy by noon.
- Things close VERY early. As a New Yorker, I am used to things being open to 11 or 12 at least. When you plan activities that might take all day (road to Hana) know that all the restaurants close at 9 and usually want you there BEFORE 9 in order to get a table. There is an all-night mart that has food, but it is expensive for what you are getting. Try and plan ahead.
- The sunsets are other worldly right from the beach.

Our friends actually stayed in the Four Seasons and Marriott within three weeks of our stay. If you are trying to decide between the three, here is my 2cents. The Four Seasons is incredible, but you will never find a good deal in price. The Marriott is clean and nice, but HUGE and lacks customer service (my friends were sent trying to find their room in the dark with all their luggage!). The Andaz has the best of both worlds (affordable deals as well as amazing service).

Room Tip: HEMA wing - 7th floor!!!
Green Features: Loved that the entire area is about sustainability. This hotel is VERY green!
5 Thank Christine B
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Fabulous place, clean, great service. Not crowded, great pool and beach. 24 hour fitness center, refillable filtered water service. Laundry room, computer room. Room stocked with complimentary snacks and cold drinks. Tranquility pool to the side. Drink and snack pool side service. Great sun sets from the pools and grounds. Rainfall shower the width of the room. No fee beach chaise and chairs. Only valet car service which requires numerous tips per day. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Careful with garden view room, literally a parking lot view with 6 foot garden, was not pleased and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Padua, Italy
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

The Andaz Maui is a cool place. The lobby is sleek and has an amazing view. The restaurants are very good and the bar is great.
It tends to be rather crowded, so do not expect exclusive luxury.
Valet parking is charged $30/day, but the guys are great.
The beach is shared with the villas next door (so not private), but again the beach crew is great.
Rooms design is nice and modern, but DO NOT get garden view. There is no garden, only parking lot.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank elenabordigoni
Oxnard, California
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Great hotel, supper nice and attentive staff, everyone was over the top nice and helpful. Very clean and modern hotel. Loved all the pool options. The buffet breakfast was expensive, but over the top amazing and worth the cost. The bar area was great on our first night. Loved spending time in the hotel and the beach right next to it which was almost like a private beach unlike other hotels we visited in Maui. Would definitely recommend and stay there again : )

Green Features: super friendly staff. definitely great customer service!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LupeJ87
LA
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Love this resort.
You can have privacy, and luxury at the same time.
Make sure you get an Oceanfront room.
Worth every penny.
The breakfast buffet is a must, as well as The Kitchen for dinner. Locally sourced food, and delicious.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!