“Best Stay in Maui”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Best Stay in Maui”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We stayed in two hotels in Maui on our last vacation: The Andaz and the Four Seasons. Without question, the Andaz bested the Four Seasons in every category, except for the on-beach experience. The restaurants are superior and the service was beyond superior. The staff at the Andaz were really excellent, for the most part. They are a new hotel and there are some quirks that they still need to work out, e.g. bag boy who doesn't offer to carry my bags and a clumsy set-up/break-down team around the beach & pool areas, but the hotel on the whole was very good and the rest of the staff was utterly brilliant. Seriously, a waiter took the time to plan out an insider's itinerary for us, which we oddly enough followed, and had a brilliant time. As if you'll have anything less than a brilliant time on Maui. Regardless, the Andaz was, without question, the best hotel of our trip.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank SquirrelBot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco
Reviewed August 9, 2014

This place was killer on all levels. We stayed for 8 nights and had paid for a garden view room and found ourselves treated to a full ocean view room for our entire stay. The staff from the moment you check in are fantastic. I love the relaxed way you are greeted and the simple, yet elegant, lobby.

The restaurants and food are fantastic. Whether it be the breakfast buffet or a treat for dinner at Morimotos, everything was top shelf.

My favorite thing about the hotel is how they break the pools up into levels. This gives you a chance to stay in different areas with varying views of the ocean and pools. If you decide you want to avoid the families, there is a great adult-only option as well. As the hotel is situated at the end of the hotel row, there is not a lot of traffic by other guests. You really get a sense of privacy and seclusion.

This is by far my new favorite on the island and will make sure I stay here on any trip through Maui.

Room Tip: Make sure to take the time to enjoy the art from artist Shane Robinson in the lobby. Very cool phot...
Green Features: I love that they avoided the bottle water and instead dispensed Andaz water bottles to each guest. Having filtered fountains throughout the hotel, it was a great way to cut down on the plastic bottle usage and still have access to good clean water. Why don't more hotels embrace this idea?
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Alex L
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed August 9, 2014

After hearing great things about Andaz, I decided to try it for a couple of nights during the past Maui Film Festival, and I LOVED IT!! First off, I had an awesome room with views of the 2 infinity pools, and the beach! The room was very modern, with the most awesome bathroom. It was easy to see how well the entire staff was trained to ensure client satisfaction and it shows! I was impressed with everyone from the moment I was greeted, from the Valets, to the pool waitpersons, to the beach staff! Big smiles, and they genuinely cared! Congratulations to the General Manager, Michael Stephens, for a great job running a jewel of a resort in Wailea, Maui! I will be back, again and again!

Room Tip: I bet you could not find a bad room! The view of the infinity pools, and the beach is a hard combina...
Green Features: I was impressed with their energy saving practices, including the room lighting, their green approach to low chemical gardening, and solar energy for water heating! This resort is ahead of most in these areas! Very cool!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank 1MauiTraveler
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 7, 2014

This is a medium sized very modern hotel situated on a nice beach in the midst of Wailea. The staff are very friendly with the restaurant and pool staff remembering you by name. Service is exceptional (the only exception being the very grumpy guy manning the omelet station everyday at breakfast). The beach is great - the snorkeling only so-so. There was always enough room on the beach and the beach guys were quick to set up lounge chairs and an umbrella whenever we were down there - only issue was that it is a public beach so there was a constant parade of people walking along it making it feel congested at times. One issue with the resort is that there is no onsite tennis - you have to take the shuttle to a nearby tennis court - this is inconvenient to say the least. The four pools are well designed and perfect for cooling off. The two restaurants have good food - a cut above most hotels on Maui. Breakfast can get expensive for a family of three ($120 plus) if you have the buffet. Rooms are well designed and decorated, beds very comfortable - only issue with rooms is there is nowhere to hang wet clothes and they forbid you from drying things on balcony (destroys the look of the hotel -according to the posting in the room) - so they need to come up with some alternative. The hotel is only about 30 minutes from the airport so very convenient location. All in all a great hotel. We will be back.

Room Tip: Don't get a garden view room - its code for facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank EricLosAngeles
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We just returned from a stay at the Andaz in July. We stayed on the island for 15 nights and splurged the last 5 days of our trip here. It was our 10 year anniversary celebration and we were really looking forward to being pampered. I am normally a Ritz Carlton girl but with the reviews and wanting to try the sunny side of the island we thought this would be wonderful. It was a huge splurge at 500.00 a night but hey you only live once right? When we arrived I wasn't blown away by the entrance and wasn't sure immediately if we had made the right choice. The check in process was kind of awkward too. I appreciate the idea of it but I wasn't sold on it either. I hated that I felt so disappointed but it didn't feel as grand as I had thought it would. The attendant that showed us to our room was nice and gave us a run down on the room and how everything worked but again after paying for a room upgrade I was SOOO disappointed in our "partial ocean view" We could really only see the rooftops of the villas and the adult pool. It was on the 2nd floor and I felt so cheated for the price we were paying. Maybe we've always been lucky but the Ritz has upgraded us to a suite every time at check in so I felt sad that THIS was the room we got for our 10 year. I could not relax over it and finally went and found a manager to speak to about it. Jonessa is who I spoke to and she finally made me feel better and more relaxed and said she would get us in a new room the next day. That room was so awful really. The shower door was so rickety that it barely opened and the wind was just howling under the door in the morning so I am so glad we got a new room. They did move us to the other side of the hall and up two floors and the view was OUTSTANDING from it however from a comfort level I will NEVER understand why they put the lounge chairs they are using now. They are truly awful and so uncomfortable that you can barely sit in them before you hurt all over but I did love being able to hear the music playing from the lounge bar while we got ready at night.
We did love the infinity pools and the beach was really awesome. It was so nice to actually be able to have chairs on the beach too. The bar and pool staff was really great! Le'hua was so sweet and such a joy to get to know. Holly, Chad, Archer and Sy were amazing too! Had some really good laughs with all them. Got an amazing recommendation to do the chef's table at Ka'hana kitchen and that paid off. One of the best things we did on our whole trip to Maui. What an experience we had! Sy and Le'hua took care of us that night and made it that much better. The Chef was so great and the food was beyond amazing! I would do this again in a heartbeat.
Morimoto's was big disappointment as I am a HUGE fan of his and felt like the food was MEH...really sad actually that it didn't live up to the hype.
However the lobster grilled cheese totally did live up to it. That was so good and really all the food was delicious all and all. The flatbread pizzas from the market are fantastic as well.
We had spa treatments and did enjoy the spa and the people. I wish the steam room was adjoining with the men. I would have loved to sit in there together after our couples massage. My husband said he had the best massage he's ever had.
The last night of our stay Jonessa had a bottle of really nice champagne sent up with a beautiful plate of fruit and honestly that was such a HUGE gesture and made up for the first night of our stay. I was impressed with that and felt like we mattered.
All and in all the service was fantastic and the modern feel is pretty cool but I am not 100% sure I feel it is in the same level of a Ritz or the FS just yet. I loved it overall and by the end really felt like we had made some friends but there was just something missing for the price of it all.
We had one other mishap worth mentioning..we went over the FS for dinner one night and when we were ready to leave we had them call for our ride...20 mins went by and no one...another 15-20 mins went by and finally the FS offered to take us back. I really don't think this should happen at such a high end resort. Luckily we did see a manager and they apologized and even gave us a voucher for drinks which was a nice gesture) so again they did correct or try to correct the issue and I do appreciate that but it would be better if these annoyances were kept to a rare occasion.
Lastly but not least they did extend our stay for us until 6:30 in the evening even though it seemed to be very busy that night. Lots of check-ins that day and it felt full so I do really appreciate being able to stay in our room to the last second and enjoy the hotel at the fullest. It was hard enough to say goodbye to beautiful Maui so that ended the trip on a wonderful note!
I would say we would go back but not at the 500.00 price range. If we got it at around the 300.00 otherwise I might really splurge for the FS and come over to enjoy drinks and dinner and see the staff that we fell in love with over our stay.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in room 234. It was awful!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jmodgeqt2
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had a great stay at the Andaz Maui. The property was beautiful and new, and service impeccable. However, we actually prefer the Hyatt Regency Maui more because the Andaz did not have as warm an atmosphere as the Hyatt Regency Maui. The Andaz felt more uptight, and was not as relaxing.

PRO's:
- Gorgeous new property
- Huge, beautiful suite
- Luxurious bathroom in suite
- Outstanding service from all staff
- Large breakfast buffet
- Great pool service, easy to find lounge chairs
- Nice pools for swimming laps

CON's:
- "Uptight" atmosphere not very relaxing
- Not much to do in the location around the hotel

Room Tip: Suites are huge and gorgeous
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank shinywings
Eagle, Idaho
Reviewed August 5, 2014

From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, the Andaz was so fantastic! Spectacular views with four pools cascading down to the beautiful beach! The cast of the Andaz gave a superb performance during our stay at their hotel. They're friendly, warm, and give over the top service… especially the pool crew Heather, Christina, Tasha, and Tia! The food was also outstanding and the spa was incredible! We highly recommend making the Andaz your first choice when staying on Maui!

Room Tip: Connecting rooms are great for families!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!