“Sophisticated, minimalist, extraordinary, unique cocoon for the ultimate escape-Andaz Maui tops them all!”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Must I ever leave?? The property is so much more beautiful, unique, and sophisticated than I ever imagined-Good bye Four Seasons!!
Extremely friendly, personal, and accommodating service; young and hip crowd; fresh and unique food and menus; very fairly priced.
And I got two free nights-Wowie, wowie Andaz Maui!! The ultimate in personal service, elegant surroundings, amazing grounds, spectacular cozy rooms and amenities, friendly, fabulous staff, and cool entertainment at night.
Everything was perfect, in spite of the construction and Morimoto not being open yet-can it get any better??!

Room Tip: I guess ocean view is the best, but I'm sure the cheapest room is fabulous!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank keentraveler30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I spend a lot of time researching resorts to stay in for our visit to Maui. We had never been to Hawaii before so we were not familiar with locations or resorts. When we stumbled upon the Andaz we decided to give it a try because the photos were beautiful and the reviews were great. The Andaz seemed more reasonable and appealing than the Marriott or the Four Seasons. We were especially drawn to the fact that there was no "resort fee" or ridiculous other charges for the Andaz.

We arrived at the Andaz late (about 10pm) but that didn't effect the fantastic service. This is no normal hotel, as other reviewers have noted, the whole resort is open air and feels like a gigantic house! We were greeted by a friendly staff member who checked us in and also gave us a refreshing face towel, lemonade, and flip flops. What other hotel can make an impression like that within 5 minutes? She quickly showed us around the property and we were eager to rest for the night so we could get up early and start enjoying the property.

The next day we ate breakfast at the hotel and then ventured around the property and relaxed by the pool. As others have noted, breakfast for two will cost you over $100. We felt like we had to try the breakfast at least once though, and it was fantastic. You could choose to order one item for breakfast at a set price or you could pay $45/per person for a taste of everything. You get to order a customized omelette and then can choose other items from the kitchen. The kitchen had about five different stations where you could pick up fruit, muffins, yogurt, sausage, raw juice, toast, and more. The hotel uses organic foods and also gets the fruit, vegetables, and eggs from local farmers.

There is a small market in the hotel as well that sells snacks, drinks, gelato, and some nice gifts. I did enjoy picking up snacks from there as they had a lot of interesting and natural products, but the prices were very steep, ranging from $6 for green tea mints to $5 for a small coconut water. It was very convenient but a bit hard on the wallet, but this is a nice hotel and I noticed that goods were expensive in other areas in Maui too, so I can understand.

The pool area is clean and quiet. When you get down to the pool you are immediately greeted by the pool staff who set down towels for you and take care of drink and food orders. The infinity pools were beautiful, I mean who hasn't seen photos of an infinity pool online and wanted to swim in one? It was my first time in an infinity pool and I loved every minute of it. One of the pools also had a hot tub attached which was nice for the evenings. The other thing I noted was that one of the pools (the one with the hot tub) was open 24 hours, which I thought was a nice touch since most hotels close all their pools at 9 or 10pm. There was also an adult only pool around the other side of the resort but we didn't find it necessary because there were very few children at the hotel.

If you don't want to spend the entire time lounging by the pool, the beach is just a few steps away. The beach area in front of the resort was lovely. The hotel has lounge chairs set up for Andaz guests. The water is crystal clear and the sand is soft. The resort also has it's own beach crew whom you can book excursions through. You can take lessons for surfing, paddle boarding or go snorkelling. They also do hikes and yoga classes too. My husband and I signed up for one of the complimentary outrigger canoeing classes and it was so much fun! The water was so calm and clear and we could see a few turtles. We learned a lot about the history of Maui, had some great views of the land, and heard some personal stories from the beach crew instructor we had. It was definitely a neat experience I would recommend to anyone.

Going back to the resort, the rooms were incredible and very futuristic. My husband is very much into electronics and home automation and he loved the room. The bathroom was amazing too, it had a waterfall shower that could have fit about 5 people in it. The doors in front of the shower opened as well and you could watch tv while showering! After stepping out of the shower you could step into a big cozy robe. Our room room had a nice balcony that overlooked the adult only pool and part of the ocean. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room but the time that we did spend there was very comfortable. I also appreciated the lovely shower toiletries that were provided from a brand called Malie. I generally don't use hotel toiletries because they usually aren't very good but the Malie products were a real treat!

We didn't eat at the resort for the entire trip. We had rented a car, which was in valet for $30 a day, which seems standard for resorts in Wailea. Just note there is no self parking at the Andaz. There were no in-and-out fees so we frequently took the car and went to lunch or dinner in Kihei or Wailea. There are tons of great restaurants in the area that are within 4 miles. The Shops at Wailea are also in walking distance and we walked to get coffee there one morning.

One last thing I will mention was the service that was provided to us. Every single person we encountered at the Andaz was friendly, personable, and accommodating. We felt like royalty here. The staff anticipated every need and there were so many extras included. I specifically remember the one day I was speaking to Michael from the pool staff and we were discussing our trip and I mentioned wanting to go to the Old Lahaina Luau which was sold out. He quickly went to make a phone call and put us on the wait list for cancellations. We ended up being able to go to the luau! I especially appreciated what he did because we flew in from Europe and our cell phones were not working. Even the cleaning staff were friendly and gave us a cold jug of water when we were in the room. Nobody gave us an attitude or ever told us "no". Even when checked out, we were given a gift for the ride, which was a chocolate bar. Sure, with it being 85 degrees out it melted right away, but it was good!

A few reviewers noted that the resort seemed a bit empty or maybe too big. I noticed this too. There were people but it didn't seem very busy. I think it is a combination of the resort being new and also because it is low season in Maui. Don't let this put you off though, personally I enjoyed the quiet! Get in while you can because I can imagine in a few years time this resort will be packed.

Don't even think twice. Book the Andaz, you will not regret it. It was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in and we already are trying to plan a trip back!

3 Thank jenjenn09
DALLAS TX
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel deserves not 5 but 6 stars.

From the moment you open your car door till the time you leave, pure bliss.
The valet team was amazing, and it is the little things like remembering my name that make all the difference.

All staff took the extra step to make sure we were taken care of, from the check in, to the bell man, to anyone who walked by and saw that you needed a water refill, absolutely AMAZING.

The beach was beautiful and on our first night there were a small pod of Dolphins entertaining the beach goers.

Location is perfect. Great shopping and food nearby.

Room were comfortable and we took advantage of the comfy bed with many extra naps.

I CANNOT SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THE ANDAZ MAUI!!!!!!

2 Thank Fulman
Vancouver BC
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We enjoyed a relaxing, six night stay at the sparkling new Andaz. The property is absolutely gorgeous and brand new (the landscaping barely has roots!), and offers a great alternative for accommodation in Wailea. Our stay was not *perfect* though, and had we paid full price (we booked an opening special through Hyatt Gold Passport) we definitely would have felt short changed.

The good...

The property is gorgeous. Crisp, clean, elegant and minimalist. The lobby is open air and is set to capitalize on a west-facing (sunset) view. The tiers of infinity pools are gorgeous, and make you want to do nothing but spend all day dipping your toes in the water.

The rooms, similarly are crisp, clean and minimal. I really felt that Andaz did a great job of utilizing light and space, and the white color scheme is bright and airy. The linens are extremely comfortable, and the bathroom is pretty unique. The free mini bar is a nice idea - free non-alcoholic drinks and some basic snacks, and there is also a water cooler at the end of each hallway. Nice touch.

The resort feels empty - whether this is real, or simply because it can absorb a lot of people without feeling busy, not sure. However, it was very quiet and relaxing. There was never an issue finding a great and quiet location to relax. We also loved that all of the lanai's in the rooms were built to capitalize on the gorgeous view. It was fantastic to sit on the poolside lanai and enjoy a glass of wine.

The beach is also incredible. Not busy, very pretty and quite calm. The hotel is located at the north end of the Wailea resorts, and you can easily walk along the waterfront to the other beaches. The walk along the beach to Kihei is also very pretty - great sand, pretty views, gorgeous water.

Some of the service was top notch. I highlight the word "some", The girls in the coffee shop / market were friendly and engaging, and the valet staff was awesome. Some of them even RAN for our car, which was always waiting within minutes. The beach staff was also incredible - very friendly, very responsive.

The bad...

You are in Maui. However, you have to walk down to the beach to remind yourself of this. The lobby and the rooms need something...perhaps a bit of color, perhaps some flowers...to make you feel like you are in Hawaii. You could be absolutely anywhere - Miami, Palm Springs. Kind of disappointing.

The food services (market, restaurant, beach bar) seem to be focused on either the uber-rich or the uber-stupid. The prices are so high that they are laughable. As noted in another review, breakfast is $45...who can eat that much? Over $100 with tip for breakfast....are you kidding me? The beach cocktails are $18 to $20 and the glacial service (more on that below) makes you feel really annoyed when you are paying top dollar. Worse, the cocktails are not even really that special. Go to the Four Seasons lobby bar or Ferraros...not only are the cocktails better, but so is the service and the view. (A trivial point - I really HATED the name of the beach bar.."Bumbye Beach Bar". Terrible!)

The market / coffee bar is a great idea, but totally overpriced. The pastries are $6 apiece - about $3 more than the price you would pay for the same piece of banana bread at the Honolulu Coffee Company located less than a kilometre away. Also about $4 than any sane person would pay for banana bread. Similarly...$7 for water, $8 for a can of beer, $3 for a protein bar....you get the point. Maui has such incredible, local and sustainable produce...WHY do these hotels insist on gouging to such an extent?

The front desk (or rather, no front desk) service is strange with a bunch of people running around with iPads, and seems to be experiencing a learning curve. Or perhaps hiring issues. Some of the staff were incredibly eager and amazing, while several of the women were completely indifferent. Hipster, too-cool-for-you indifferent. As a client, I should never feel like I am annoying someone with a question or request.

The rooms are uber-modern with button controls for all of the lights, blinds, etc. However, the "service" and "do not disturb" buttons did not seem to work - we had housekeeping staff walking in our room when DND was on, and then had a day when our room was not serviced at all despite the "please service" light being on all day. Something they need to figure out for sure.

The pool and pool bar staff was also inconsistent. They seemed to have nothing to do (it was not very busy) and spent a lot of time chatting with each other and guests, but when you actually needed something (a drink, your bill),,,vanished! We spent 15 minutes trying to search for our server to clear our pool bar bill. Just annoying.

The music at the pool is what I would describe as "pop-rock-cliche elevator tunes" and is on a continuous loop. Stay at the pool too long and you will go crazy.

The hotel is quite empty - this may be seasonal, or perhaps just because it is new. We got the sense that many of the guests were on discounts of some sort. However, it totally crosses the line when the pool staff is in the pool with their kid. Perhaps this is a staff perk....but I find it offensive to see the servers playing in the pool. I am paying top dollar to be there, not to finance a place for the staff to play in their off time.

Overall - a very promising property that needs to find its aloha.

7 Thank rl_vancity
Bellevue, Washington, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was excited about the Andaz opening—we’ve been staying at this location thru all the iterations over the years, Westin/Stouffers/Renaissance and finally hoping it would re-open. And now it has. Well, the renovation is simply unbelievable. What they have done is quite amazing—its elegantly minimalist, many call it stark, but it’s beautiful. The many pools, all infinities that spill from one to another mean you’ll never feel crowded. Yet it lacks the warmth and native color we expect from a Hawaiian location. This hotel could literally be in any city anywhere in the world. They saved a few palm trees, but that’s all, and while it sits in a prime location, it seems to be dedicated only to those without any budget constraints—and don’t even think about bringing anyone younger than an adult—it’s not for them –breakfast, as an example, is $45 each…ugh! I can’t eat enough to justify that every morning nor should I! As much as I was looking forward to this opening with great anticipation, I think I’ll just go a bit further down the beach next time to the Four Seasons—

6 Thank michael p
AndazMaui, Manager at Andaz Maui At Wailea, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Aloha! We appreciate the review as you are certainly familiar with our location and must have many memories from here. It's exciting to hear our guests share the different elements of our design that stand out to them. Our restaurant does offer an à la carte breakfast menu for guests as an alternative to our buffet option. We truly do hope you will give us an opportunity to host you again and please do reach out and let us know when you are back in the area.
Orange County, CA
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Awili Spa - I would like to say Awili Spa offering is very unique and customized. Their facility and amenities are top-notch, equipped with the latest technologies. Access to the Spa Pool (adult only, infinity pool) is a big plus. "Omakase" treatment was apothecary based. They create and recreate to ensure a complete customer satisfaction. It was fun and different. Detox facial treatment was one of the best treatment in my over 10-years of spa journey. Ka'i is the best and brought instant visible results. I will definitely return to Awili Spa and request Ka'i for my facial. They just opened the door but all spa staff are well represented a flow well orchestrated that I did not feel they are just a little over 1-month team. I think Awili Spa emerged as a strong contender to Four Seasons Spa as well as Kapalua Spa.

2 Thank boninichiban
cincinnati
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My partner and I recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Andaz. We had a fantastic trip! We had initially intended on staying at the Four Seasons, but due to last minute planning were unable to get accommodations there. However, thanks to the phone operator for the Four Seasons, we were directed to the Andaz.

My partner made several phone calls to the hotel staff before our arrival, and found them to be exceptional, especially Connie and Sarah. She also was able to schedule some fantastic off-site excursions through our concierge, Jill. Thanks to Jill we had a private Bike tour with Pia at Maui Cyclery and a private 3 tank dive trip with Makena Coast Charters.

We both feel as though the hotel personnel were its best attribute. Having said that, the view from the hotel lobby, the 3 infinity pools, the amazing ocean view from our room, were all fantastic.

The hotel restaurant served locally grown produce. The chef prepared delicious cuisine, as well as a few traditional Hawaiian dishes. I wasn't a fan of the poi, but he went to the trouble of showing me how it was made. The open kitchen was also unique, in that you could chat with the chef while you were selecting your meal, and he was able to tell you more about each of the dishes.

The Beach Crew offered complimentary daily outrigger canoe trips in the morning, and during our trip we met Charlie, one of the owners of the Crew. We had a fantastic time with him learning how to Paddle board. We also signed up for a private half day hike with him. We highly recommend this, as he was familiar with less well-travelled hikes and took us to two gorgeous waterfalls and a bamboo forest.

In general, the hotel was spotless, brand new, very contemporary "new york" feel. There was also a very convenient hotel bistro/coffee shop. We did observe a couple of glitches (primarily due to the newness of the hotel), but we met the GM, who was very attentive and addressed all of our concerns.

Finally, we did go over to the Four Seasons one afternoon for lunch. I have to say that it was a beautiful hotel and had a more traditional Hawaiian appearance, but it was absolutely "packed". The Andaz was blissfully serene in comparison.

We would love to go back!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 710. Fantastic ocean view!!!
1 Thank butterjl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!