“Contemporary Maui...but lacking aloha spirit”

Andaz Maui At Wailea
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We enjoyed a relaxing, six night stay at the sparkling new Andaz. The property is absolutely gorgeous and brand new (the landscaping barely has roots!), and offers a great alternative for accommodation in Wailea. Our stay was not *perfect* though, and had we paid full price (we booked an opening special through Hyatt Gold Passport) we definitely would have felt short changed.

The good...

The property is gorgeous. Crisp, clean, elegant and minimalist. The lobby is open air and is set to capitalize on a west-facing (sunset) view. The tiers of infinity pools are gorgeous, and make you want to do nothing but spend all day dipping your toes in the water.

The rooms, similarly are crisp, clean and minimal. I really felt that Andaz did a great job of utilizing light and space, and the white color scheme is bright and airy. The linens are extremely comfortable, and the bathroom is pretty unique. The free mini bar is a nice idea - free non-alcoholic drinks and some basic snacks, and there is also a water cooler at the end of each hallway. Nice touch.

The resort feels empty - whether this is real, or simply because it can absorb a lot of people without feeling busy, not sure. However, it was very quiet and relaxing. There was never an issue finding a great and quiet location to relax. We also loved that all of the lanai's in the rooms were built to capitalize on the gorgeous view. It was fantastic to sit on the poolside lanai and enjoy a glass of wine.

The beach is also incredible. Not busy, very pretty and quite calm. The hotel is located at the north end of the Wailea resorts, and you can easily walk along the waterfront to the other beaches. The walk along the beach to Kihei is also very pretty - great sand, pretty views, gorgeous water.

Some of the service was top notch. I highlight the word "some", The girls in the coffee shop / market were friendly and engaging, and the valet staff was awesome. Some of them even RAN for our car, which was always waiting within minutes. The beach staff was also incredible - very friendly, very responsive.

The bad...

You are in Maui. However, you have to walk down to the beach to remind yourself of this. The lobby and the rooms need something...perhaps a bit of color, perhaps some flowers...to make you feel like you are in Hawaii. You could be absolutely anywhere - Miami, Palm Springs. Kind of disappointing.

The food services (market, restaurant, beach bar) seem to be focused on either the uber-rich or the uber-stupid. The prices are so high that they are laughable. As noted in another review, breakfast is $45...who can eat that much? Over $100 with tip for breakfast....are you kidding me? The beach cocktails are $18 to $20 and the glacial service (more on that below) makes you feel really annoyed when you are paying top dollar. Worse, the cocktails are not even really that special. Go to the Four Seasons lobby bar or Ferraros...not only are the cocktails better, but so is the service and the view. (A trivial point - I really HATED the name of the beach bar.."Bumbye Beach Bar". Terrible!)

The market / coffee bar is a great idea, but totally overpriced. The pastries are $6 apiece - about $3 more than the price you would pay for the same piece of banana bread at the Honolulu Coffee Company located less than a kilometre away. Also about $4 than any sane person would pay for banana bread. Similarly...$7 for water, $8 for a can of beer, $3 for a protein bar....you get the point. Maui has such incredible, local and sustainable produce...WHY do these hotels insist on gouging to such an extent?

The front desk (or rather, no front desk) service is strange with a bunch of people running around with iPads, and seems to be experiencing a learning curve. Or perhaps hiring issues. Some of the staff were incredibly eager and amazing, while several of the women were completely indifferent. Hipster, too-cool-for-you indifferent. As a client, I should never feel like I am annoying someone with a question or request.

The rooms are uber-modern with button controls for all of the lights, blinds, etc. However, the "service" and "do not disturb" buttons did not seem to work - we had housekeeping staff walking in our room when DND was on, and then had a day when our room was not serviced at all despite the "please service" light being on all day. Something they need to figure out for sure.

The pool and pool bar staff was also inconsistent. They seemed to have nothing to do (it was not very busy) and spent a lot of time chatting with each other and guests, but when you actually needed something (a drink, your bill),,,vanished! We spent 15 minutes trying to search for our server to clear our pool bar bill. Just annoying.

The music at the pool is what I would describe as "pop-rock-cliche elevator tunes" and is on a continuous loop. Stay at the pool too long and you will go crazy.

The hotel is quite empty - this may be seasonal, or perhaps just because it is new. We got the sense that many of the guests were on discounts of some sort. However, it totally crosses the line when the pool staff is in the pool with their kid. Perhaps this is a staff perk....but I find it offensive to see the servers playing in the pool. I am paying top dollar to be there, not to finance a place for the staff to play in their off time.

Overall - a very promising property that needs to find its aloha.

7  Thank rl_vancity
Write a ReviewReviews (2,903)

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was excited about the Andaz opening—we’ve been staying at this location thru all the iterations over the years, Westin/Stouffers/Renaissance and finally hoping it would re-open. And now it has. Well, the renovation is simply unbelievable. What they have done is quite amazing—its elegantly minimalist, many call it stark, but it’s beautiful. The many pools, all infinities that spill from one to another mean you’ll never feel crowded. Yet it lacks the warmth and native color we expect from a Hawaiian location. This hotel could literally be in any city anywhere in the world. They saved a few palm trees, but that’s all, and while it sits in a prime location, it seems to be dedicated only to those without any budget constraints—and don’t even think about bringing anyone younger than an adult—it’s not for them –breakfast, as an example, is $45 each…ugh! I can’t eat enough to justify that every morning nor should I! As much as I was looking forward to this opening with great anticipation, I think I’ll just go a bit further down the beach next time to the Four Seasons—

6  Thank whatatripwehad
AndazMaui, Manager at Andaz Maui At Wailea, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Aloha! We appreciate the review as you are certainly familiar with our location and must have many memories from here. It's exciting to hear our guests share the different elements of our design that stand out to them. Our restaurant does offer an à la carte breakfast menu for guests as an alternative to our buffet option. We truly do hope you will give us an opportunity to host you again and please do reach out and let us know when you are back in the area.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Awili Spa - I would like to say Awili Spa offering is very unique and customized. Their facility and amenities are top-notch, equipped with the latest technologies. Access to the Spa Pool (adult only, infinity pool) is a big plus. "Omakase" treatment was apothecary based. They create and recreate to ensure a complete customer satisfaction. It was fun and different. Detox facial treatment was one of the best treatment in my over 10-years of spa journey. Ka'i is the best and brought instant visible results. I will definitely return to Awili Spa and request Ka'i for my facial. They just opened the door but all spa staff are well represented a flow well orchestrated that I did not feel they are just a little over 1-month team. I think Awili Spa emerged as a strong contender to Four Seasons Spa as well as Kapalua Spa.

2  Thank boninichiban
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My partner and I recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Andaz. We had a fantastic trip! We had initially intended on staying at the Four Seasons, but due to last minute planning were unable to get accommodations there. However, thanks to the phone operator for the Four Seasons, we were directed to the Andaz.

My partner made several phone calls to the hotel staff before our arrival, and found them to be exceptional, especially Connie and Sarah. She also was able to schedule some fantastic off-site excursions through our concierge, Jill. Thanks to Jill we had a private Bike tour with Pia at Maui Cyclery and a private 3 tank dive trip with Makena Coast Charters.

We both feel as though the hotel personnel were its best attribute. Having said that, the view from the hotel lobby, the 3 infinity pools, the amazing ocean view from our room, were all fantastic.

The hotel restaurant served locally grown produce. The chef prepared delicious cuisine, as well as a few traditional Hawaiian dishes. I wasn't a fan of the poi, but he went to the trouble of showing me how it was made. The open kitchen was also unique, in that you could chat with the chef while you were selecting your meal, and he was able to tell you more about each of the dishes.

The Beach Crew offered complimentary daily outrigger canoe trips in the morning, and during our trip we met Charlie, one of the owners of the Crew. We had a fantastic time with him learning how to Paddle board. We also signed up for a private half day hike with him. We highly recommend this, as he was familiar with less well-travelled hikes and took us to two gorgeous waterfalls and a bamboo forest.

In general, the hotel was spotless, brand new, very contemporary "new york" feel. There was also a very convenient hotel bistro/coffee shop. We did observe a couple of glitches (primarily due to the newness of the hotel), but we met the GM, who was very attentive and addressed all of our concerns.

Finally, we did go over to the Four Seasons one afternoon for lunch. I have to say that it was a beautiful hotel and had a more traditional Hawaiian appearance, but it was absolutely "packed". The Andaz was blissfully serene in comparison.

We would love to go back!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 710. Fantastic ocean view!!!
1  Thank butterjl
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We took a flyer on the Andaz; it being so new there were few reviews. We were delighted. Not only were the views superb, the staff seemed to genuinely enjoy working there (no fake smiles here), and the food in all circumstances (shop, buffet, pool bar, restaurants) proved consistently first-class. Rooms are comfortable, modern, tastefully decorated and fully functional. The complimentary wi-fi was extremely stable and worked with all devices.

The location, Wailea, provides easy access to many Maui attractions and recreational opportunities. And for those needing local services, Kihei is just up the road and has everything from a bicycle shop to a drugstore.

It's hard to fault the Andaz. Perhaps the only nitpick was the TV-only room-service menu, which requires interrupting your quiet movie night. There's nothing else to gripe about.

1  Thank inopinatus
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Thanks to the new Andaz Maui, my boyfriend and I had an unforgettable Hawaiian vacation! When I walked up to the lobby, the view alone set the tone for my entire stay...magnificent! Their team warmly greeted us and Natasha at the front desk checked us in on her ipad while we relaxed with a tropical welcome beverage. She then personally escorted us to our room where she showed us around and gave us our "slippers" (complimentary flip-flops). I don't know how they knew our size but they were so comfy we ended up wearing them everywhere! The entire check-in process was very personalized and we already felt like we were home within the first 5 minutes of arrival.

Our suite had a breathtaking panoramic view of the ocean and balconies off the living area and bedroom. We were welcomed with a cheese plate, which was a goat cheese produced by a local farmer in Upcountry. Andaz supports local farmers so they have a different amenity every day depending on what the farm producers- very cool! The accommodations are very sleek and contemporary, as well as comfortable. The large, open bathroom had sliding doors that could be opened for views of the ocean or closed for privacy. I usually bring my own bath products but I fell in love with their bath amenities and well as the hooded, lightweight robes. The heated toilet seat was another highlight!

The beach crew at Andaz was very friendly- Alex and his team went out of their way to help us. The beach crew has all new, state-of-the-art equipment including stand-up paddleboards, which I would highly recommend. Go in the mornings, as the water can get choppy in the afternoons. I saw a giant sea turtle cruise right past my board when I was out there- one of the highlights of my trip! The water is so clear off their coast, you can easily go snorkeling too. The resort also offers complimentary outrigger canoe tours in the mornings which you should definitely take advantage of. The staff at the pools was terrific as well. Everyone made us feel like family.

One of our most memorable moments about the resort was our culinary experience. We often had lunch or cocktails at Lehua Lounge, which is the bar by the top pool that overlooks the ocean. The lobster-grilled cheese is out of this world! I actually had to limit my boyfriend to getting it every other day otherwise he would have ordered it for every meal. The lounge also has really great, handcrafted cocktails, all made with fresh ingredients. The Pimms Rangoon and Pisco Punch were my favorite. It was very refreshing to have tasteful, creative drinks instead of the generic Mai Tais that most resorts serve.

You can't leave the resort without experiencing dinner and breakfast at Ka'ana Kitchen. Ka'ana Kitchen is an open-air kitchen so you can watch the chefs prepare their dishes. I loved the enthusiasm from the culinary team- you can tell they love what they do and are passionate about what they prepare. Everything is farm to table so they use locally sourced meats, cheeses, fruits and vegetables, which certainly come out in the flavors. For dinner, I would highly recommend the watermelon salad, ceviche, center cut ahi, and kampachi bacon. Definitely order a bunch of plates and share so you can get a taste of everything.

Ka'ana kitchen is also the Willy Wonka of breakfasts! They have numerous stations with everything you can ever imagine plus more (if there is something you don't see, the chef will make it for you). It is a bit overwhelming so go around and check everything out first and then make a game plan of what you want. My biggest recommendation would be to experience breakfast multiple days because you won't be able to try everything the first time. Don't pass up the little jars of panna cotta- best I have ever had! They make all their own fresh juices daily with local, seasonal fruits- so yummy!

The Spa is definitely one of a kind. The have an apothecary so you can personally select and combine the ingredients, including dried fruits and herbs, you would like for your treatments, making it a very fun and interactive experience. I would recommend a 90-minute treatment because it includes a foot scrub, which felt really nice. I liked the product I created so much that I made a lotion to take home with me. Great souvenir!

The concierge team was very generous is helping with any outside arrangements, including our car rental, snorkel trip reservations, luau reservations, and provided us with maps to different waterfalls for our Hana trip. We loved all their recommendations. Also, Andaz offers a complimentary shuttle to local restaurants, which was nice if you don't want to rent a car every day.

I could not have imagined staying anywhere else in Wailea and will definitely be back!

2  Thank Jenna858
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My stay here was for business. Most time spent was working with little opportunity to enjoy the services. When I did, it was outstanding. Like the fact this hotel had a modern approach. Clean and minimal with maximum service. Staff was generally happy and kind to the eye. Views were spectacular. Ample pools. Never felt crowded or "medical convention" destination.

Even with construction going on as the hotel was still in development, it had a vibe that eased your spirt. At first this put me off, but the success of a hotel is when a guest arrives frustrated from traveling, work, and life in general, they have the ability to transform. You might arrive one way but you certainly leave another. Andaz Wailea was fantastic in that regard.

My room was large. Walk in closet. Ample bathroom. Nice patio. One of the comments many a coworker mentioned, was that the hotel never felt "too large." If you forgot something in your room it didn't take much time to retrieve it. Even though its a larger property, it didn't lose its intimacy.

No photos are shared as the website accurately represents.

Room Tip: Get a view if possible on a higher floor. Also the rooms with the smaller pools to the right as you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#1 of 8 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Been to Andaz Maui At Wailea? Share your experiences!