“Perfect honeymoon restaurant”
Review of Spago

Spago
Ranked #9 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Four Seasons Hotel
Transit: Shops of Wailea
Reviewed October 5, 2008

My husband and I absolutely loved Spago! It was our most enjoyable meal on our honeymoon.
The setting is very romantic with beautiful views of the water. We didn't find it noisy at all.
The seafood risotto was the best risotto I've ever had and the coconut souffle is too good to be shared.
True it is pricey but it is perfect for a special occassion.

Reviewed September 17, 2008

I read the reviews . . . I worried . . . but we bit the bullet. This meal was one of my top 3 faves of all time. (And I live in a big city where we have access to GREAT restaurants and I love good fod - this could compete with any of them and win most of the time.) Did we get lucky? Maybe, but I had the tasting menu and every course was excellent - that's tough to do.

Is it expensive? Absolutely. Be prepared.

We planned dinner there for after our vow renewal. I had confirmed with the concierge that only 1 person at the table could order the tasting menu (DH is not adventurous.) However, upon arrival, I was told it had to be the whole table. We asked a manager to be sure and she went and confirmed with the chef that it would be ok. Yea!!! (I'm guessing it might have helped that I was in a white dress and carrying a bouquet, but we didn't mention the renewal at all - I promise.)

I can't find my list of courses of course, but the ahi tuna poke cones were yummy (even though I'm not the biggest miso fan). I can still taste the big eye tuna piece - and it was a sub for something they'd run out of! The kobe beef was magnificent. The seafood risotto - yum. I did not like the accompanying yuzu sauce on one dish, but that was minor. I had a light fruit fizz as the course right before dessert that I thought would be a copout, but it was so refreshing and just perfect right at that time. The desset was also a lovely surprise -- a high end twist on the molten lava cake, but stylishly wrapped up in very thin pastry.

Hubby had the chicken. Yeah, I know. But it was the best chicken I've ever had! Mashed potatoes were too salty unfortunately. His dessert was even better than mine -- a banana creme pie thing with so many light layers, each mouthful exploded!

Next year, we're going back and both getting the tasting menu!

1  Thank ScarlyAngel
Reviewed September 9, 2008

First of all, to be clear, the Four Seasons Wailea is GREAT. And we had a great meal at another of the Four Seasons restaurants, Ferraro's. No doubt about it, expensive, but worth the price for a really superlative experience. But Spago's was a big, overpriced disappointment. Starters - salads and appetizers - are all in the $15+ range. Entrees are generally mid$40s and up. My wife ordered sashimi cones and complained to the waiter that the tuille cones were burned - and was told "that's the way we make them." I ordered a Thai curry and my wife ordered the mahimahi. After a verrrrrrry long wait between courses (during which we complained to the waiter and the manager) our courses arrived together. But the mahimahi had obviously been sitting under a heat lamp all that time and was (to be generous) tough. We left without my wife eating the entree. To be fair, the restaurant comped the entrees and asked if they could do anything else for us. But, a restaurant in this kind of resort with these kinds of prices shouldn't have these kinds of problems.

3  Thank Auwaiku
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary at Spago's. The restaurant has an excellent view of Wailea Beach from the patio, which is on the second floor of the Four Seasons Hotel. At sunset it is great. We had one of the patio tables facing the sunset, and our table was ready immediately when we arrived. Our server was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. However, the service time and the quality of the food was mixed. The spicy ahi tuna poke cones and tomato soup appetizers were very good. However, the entrees were lackluster. The mahi mahi was not good at all. Came out lukewarm and dried out. Avoid it at all costs --a very disappointing entree in an otherwise pleasant dinner experience. My dining companion's pork chop dinner was also served lukewarm. Overall we were both disappointed. We went to a moderately priced buffet-style luau the next evening and we both noticed how much better the fish and pork dishes were than what we were served the night before.

I did not read any of the reviews on this site before going. Having read them, I agree that the service time is very slow. Very, very slow, even by Maui standards. Long periods of time between visits by the server. Our server would disappear for 15 minutes at a time. She apologized on her own initiative for the slow service when delivering the bill, but otherwise did not acknowledge the delays. I did not mention it to the server or management because frankly we had been there for a long time and were tired and wanted to get back to our hotel.

The quality of this Spago is nowhere close to the Beverly Hills restaurant or the Chinois in Santa Monica. Its a mediocre restaurant in a spectacular location.

2  Thank mike-lcf
Reviewed August 20, 2008

WARNING: Spago is a very pricey restaurant. Don't go there if you are on a budget!

We went to Spago's for our 10th Anniversary dinner. Our wait was less than 5 minutes. We were seated at a table on the balcony which faced the ocean and sunset. The hostess and waiter both offered to take pictures of our family. Everyone working at Spago's was very friendly. The food was delicious and we had a wonderful time.

Since we had a young child with us, the waiter immediately offered to adjust the menu for him (chicken strips, cheese pizza etc.) I also asked for special changes to the item I was ordering. The waiter and chef were very nice and had no problems making the changes.

The evening was capped off with a delicious anniversary dessert prepared especially for our family. I would highly recommend Spago's. It was our favorite restaurant on our 12 day visit to Maui.

1  Thank Akiras_Mom

Been to Spago? Share your experiences!