“Falling a bit short...”
Review of Spago

Spago
Ranked #13 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Four Seasons Hotel
Transit: Shops of Wailea
Wailea
“Falling a bit short...”
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Father's Day 2008. Started off with pleasant greetings and an invitation to sit and wait for our 6pm table...we were on time. The lounge was pleasant, singer was the best. Drinks ordered in the lounge bar cannot be taken into the dining area...only 15 feet away. Glass of wine and shot of JW scotch...$25.

Got in to the dining area only to have a table in a high traffic area. Wait staff was nice and professional. Poke appetizer was tasty...three small pieces...$25. Wide selection of bread; which we chose...just in case the food portions were miniature. Good thing I got one of each (bread). My pork chop entree was of sufficient size and tasty...$39; served with spinach and a sweet sour sauce. My spouse's tiny piece of macadamia crusted mahimahi was a crime. My credit card was larger than that portion...$45; served with a dark sauce. When the waiter asked how were our dinners...I asked if he could bring the rest of the fish...for that price. Carafe of wine and another shot of JW and we decided right then...it's probably best that we not patronize Spago's; we limped home at $150.

View was great...my spouse was a bit hungry. There's other places in South Maui...much better and a lot cheaper.

3 Thank shogun9Wailea

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Corona, California
“Incredible views (be seated outside on the balcony), great service. Be sure to order the Ahi Poke in Sesame Miso Cones...”
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Incredible views (be seated outside on the balcony), great service. Be sure to order the Ahi Poke in Sesame Miso Cones. To die for.

New York City
“Spago-- a NO go!”
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We had high hopes for Spago Maui, but found the restaurant to be all hype and no substance. Being foodies, we find it a rare occurance that we can not find a dish or two to create a meal out of. However, Spago Maui was a mish-mosh of sweet and sour dishes that left us cold. My husband wound up ordering a steak when all he wanted was fish and I had a disappointing fish/crab dish that has no crab in it as far as I could tell. To make matters worse the service as slow and nearly absent. We waited over 30 min for the waiter to take our drink order, and even more time to take our meal order. While the waiter seemed to have time for other tables around us, he never checked in on us and we were forced to get up and pour the wine left by the table. Finally the only person who seemed concerned about our expereince was the woman serving the bread who insisted on getting the Manger. Honestly, at that point all we wanted was to go back to our room. Management was very gracious, but it will never make up for the terrible experience.

2 Thank ShanaL
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The views during sunset...”
Reviewed February 16, 2008

The views during sunset are amazing!!! Dined here 7/5/07 with friends and family. Staff was very accommodating. The portions were small but it was a good dining experience.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Bethesda, MD
“Not worth it -- even if you are staying at the Four Seasons!”
Reviewed January 26, 2008

My husband, son and I were extremely disappointed with Spago. We were staying at the Four Seasons and decided to stay at the resort for dinner at least one night (there are so many good restaurants to choose from in Maui!). That said, it was the worst meal that we had the entire week in Maui. The service was unlike anything else at the Four Seasons. It was pretentious and uptight. All of the employees had an atittude. In addition, the food itself was not good at all. We have been to the original Spago in Beverly HIlls and this is NOTHING like it!! Don't think you've experienced Spago if you eat here. It's terrible. To top off an extremely bad experience with the service and food, the restaurant was using new serving pieces for their coffee creamer... Apparently the staff hadn't use it enough because it slid off the tray and spilled all over my back. A terrible ending to a terrible dinner. To his credit, the manager came over apologized a million times, paid for our meal and offered to dry clean my dress. All of that said, this still is just one place to skp!!

4 Thank RRZF

Been to Spago? Share your experiences!