“A great evening; every dish and drink was flawless”
Review of Spago

Spago
Ranked #8 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Four Seasons Hotel
Transit: Shops of Wailea
Los Angeles, California
“A great evening; every dish and drink was flawless”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

It was our first Wolfgang Puck restaurant so we were pleasantly surprised with the fare, the setting, the service. All was very nice.
To be fair, the 2 hostesses were a bit clueless, like they were in their summer job. After this awkward start, the rest of the meal unfolded beautifully. The highlight was the Ahi temaki, with a crispy sesame cone. Out of this world!

Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Saskatoon, Canada
“Good food but even better service!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I recently visited Spago for the first time in Maui. The service was top notch - I can't stress that enough. The food was really good however REALLY overpriced. I understand it's a Wolfgang Puck restaurant but $46 for a small bowl of curried vegetables with a couple chunks of fish is insane. I highly recommend the banana cream pie dessert though! That was definitely my favorite item. The view was also excellent.

I don't think we will be back. I have had better food at other places for less money. The environment was also too pretentious for me (though I have to say the service was not - the staff were really friendly and great). However, it was an experience!

• Visited February 2013
Long Beach, California
“Apparently Wolgang thinks he can rip off the public.”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Actually my wife's dish of Monchong was excellent but they must be the most expensive restuarant on the island. Appitizers around $25 & all entrees over $45. The wine list is so over-the-top over-charge compared to buying the bottle at the ABC or market is shoud be considered illegal. As you can see by my review history I eat and lodge at very nice places. I had heard that this was going downhill but thought to give it a try. Mistake. So many other places to eat for less. Service spotty but we had a very pleasant lady server and bussboy.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Steve C
Sacramento, California
“Quality has gone down”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I are staying at the four season in waile. We have stayed here often and eaten at spagos a few times. This was the most disappointing dinner we have had here, it to me was amature. My husbands salmon was drenched in soy sauce so much so that he couldn't taste the fish and left him very thirsty. It was also quite spicy but it did say it had chilis and he likes spicy so was ok with that. I ordered the pasta bolognese and I was very disappointed. I didn't want to make a fuss I hate complaining about a meal and our server had raved about this, but no where did it mention it was spicy and as an Italian I would never have imagined that a bolognese sauce would be spicy so I never asked. I get irritated when restaurants don't tell you that and I again I think adding hot spice to a food that is not normally hot makes the food taste like any spicy food. I did not taste the Kobe beef or any of re seasonings that the mentioned. All in all a very disappointing meal. We don't mind spending money on a good meal bit frankly I could have gone to a sizzler and had the same pasta ( for a third the price) and most restaurants do a decent job of salmon and it isn't priced anywhere near this price. We are hear for 4 more days and I would not go back to spagos, too bad it's a beautiful restaurant. But too many things went wrong, I am afraid the quality control and imaginative dishes have gone the way of many other restaurants like this. They are counting on their name to get the business and letting the food go downhill

Troy, Montana
“I do not give five stars easily, but they EARNED every one of them.”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had the great pleasure of dining here not just once, but twice during our vacation in Maui. From the reservation until we left, I was impressed with everything, the service, the setting, the food - just over the top and wonderful and worth the five start price. I am married to a chef and we know our food - this was all fresh, well prepared and served just right. I cannot think of a single thing that could have been better or could be improved, and that is saying a lot for me as I am a tough customer.
There was an issue where the hotel failed to notify them of an allergy - something that we had not ordered was delivered to the table and when we asked if it contained the allergen, it was removed immediately, a sincere apology was rendered and the chef sent out something else in its place. A certain other restaurant at this hotel really could learn a lesson on how to handle an allergy from Spago.
While I do not know if we will have the opportunity to travel to Maui again, if we do, regardless of where we stay (back to my allergen note) we will make it a point to eat here again. Well done Spago!

• Visited November 2012

Been to Spago? Share your experiences!