“Taking gourmet portions to new heights!”
Review of Spago

Spago
Ranked #10 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Four Seasons Hotel
Transit: Shops of Wailea
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We chose to eat here for Thanksgiving dinner a couple years ago as they were advertising a "kama'aina" local special with proof and HI ID. Since we live up the street, and heard great things about this chef, we were stoked... well, actually I was, while my husband was skeptical (it took some arm turning to get him to 'bite') but didn't want to cook and we had some relatives from Europe in town... bummer, turns out HE WAS RIGHT as it was not at all what I expected from a 'local' promo for the big Holiday and was a poor showing of the grandness of this Holiday for our relatives. Let me explain...

The price didn't include the whole meal, so there was lots of add ons and as I said our visitors were from Europe so they paid full price. The fresh lilikoi mai tais were outrageously delicious- at $15 a piece, we only had one.

When the food came, it was also incredibly delicious, but boy was it small. I have never left a Thanksgiving meal hungry, but I was nearly starved when I left. It was really shameful to serve such small portions on a Holiday about eating your fill.

It left such a bad taste in my mouth, despite being delicious, to be given about a 1/3 cup of stuffing, 2 slices of white meat and a few veggies... ??

I have not been back again, and have not thought of them since for myself or recommendation since then until I was on TA and their name came up...

I guess I am just not that classy to be gourmet if it calls for breaking the bank and leaving hungry... our relatives were so disappointed and left without really experiencing the real joy of this uniquely American Holiday... we went home and had to fix something more to eat, hard to digest with thoughts of signing that huge bill...

1  Thank MauiShay
There are newer reviews for Spago

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We enjoyed a great new years day dinner here. Views, service, food, and drinks were excellent. The pork and wagu beef were outstanding. We paid roughly $250 and felt it was money well spent. We always visit Spago's atleast once each trip to Maui and we will continue to do so!

1  Thank HockeyFan09
Reviewed January 23, 2013

All aspects of the meal was fantastic as expected. Service, atmosphere, and food were very good. A little pricey, but the entire area is known for such and was expected.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visit Maui annually, and generally schedule our last dinner at Spago. The view at sunset is beautiful, the menu is thoughtful and well-executed, and the service is always professional while still island-friendly.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Excellent service food and setting. VERY expensive tho. The hotel is excellent. Very nice ocean views

Been to Spago? Share your experiences!