“50th birthday WOW!”
Review of Spago

Spago
Ranked #11 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Four Seasons Hotel
Transit: Shops of Wailea
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We chose Spago only because I didn't like the menu at Ferraro's.

We made the reservation at noon on the day of my birthday and they could accommodate our request for a table with a view.

The view was breathtaking, the meal was incredible. After eating here it was difficult not to compare every meal against this one.

The caesar salad was so tasty, not your typical caesar.

Mac nut mahi mahi with mashed purple sweet potatoes and coconut was heavenly.

The pineapple cake was scrumptious.

The service was impeccable, well timed attentive without being overbearing.

What a way to celebrate my 50th!

There are newer reviews for Spago

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I will start with the positive, we were seated at a lovely table at the end of the patio with a beautiful view. The busser was great, always kept our water glassed full and offered us plenty of yummy bread.
On the not so positive side...Our server seemed to be trying to impress someone, he strung together sentences that made us laugh...An example...as I can best remember. "The sepia of this wine will really come thru and apex just in time to crescendo with your delightful entrees"

I read previous reviews about feeling rushed and indeed our server stopped by 3-4 times while we were sipping our cocktails before we finally had to say, we would like to enjoy the drinks and sunset before ordering. When we did order, we again pointed out we wanted a leisurely dinner... Salad took about 10 minutes it was a good beet salad and was split (but $24 for a salad?) We decided to take our time and less than 5 minutes after we finished and our plates were cleared our entrees were brought out. Luckily a manager delivered our food and was accomodating in taking them back so we could enjoy our wine and have some time inbetween courses. Our server stopped by a couple of times but did not mention the timing, we had to finally say "we are ready"...it would have been much less awkward had he acknowledged it. I had the ahi which was quite good (maybe a 5 oz portion) and my husband had the ehu.

We knew this would be an expensive dinner... when we are spending $250-300 I dont want my entree to be served less than an hour after being seated and I expect the server to have the professionalism to be able to read this without having to be told.

Another thing that took away from the whole experience was the music...Beautiful restaurant, you can hear the waves and they play Rolling Stones and classic rock music...Our server told us this was what Chef Wolfgang envisioned for his restaurant in Maui...what a miss - there are so many talented artists in Hawaii why not have local musician play some nice background music?

I really wanted to like Spago and had it not been for our server (and to a small extent the music) I may have rated this as Very Good but he was intrusive and pompous and really made the evening uncomfortable.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We concluded our two week visit to Maui with a visit to Spago last night. Everything was nothing short of incredible. We opted for the $50 fixed price menu in order to save some money. Even with the lower price; the meal, service, and atmosphere was outstanding. Each course was delivered on time by the large attentive staff. The presentation of the food was picture perfect and the taste was amazing. This was by far the best meal we enjoyed on Maui and a special treat to close out our trip.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Had a remarkable experience eating at Spago in The Four Seasons at Wailea, Maui where we were staying last week. We are still talking about it ...that's how amazing it was! We have eaten at many fine restaurants only to be disappointed in some way or another. Spago did not disappoint! The service was second to none... the food, exceptional and the chef, a genius! Very pricey, but so worth it. This was the best and most enjoyable restaurant experience ever! *request Frank as your server...he will take good care of you*

1  Thank PhyllisnScott
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Sure it's expensive, but it is the best piece of meat I have ever had. Service was perfect, food was perfect, view was perfect. It is expensive, but worth every penny.

1  Thank Frank J

Been to Spago? Share your experiences!