Polo Beach Club
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort(Wailea)
View Hotel
All reviewsherb gardenbeach chairsrecommend unitmaster bedroomwell equipped kitchenseveral unitswasher dryer in the unitbbq areaprepare mealswonderful condoocean frontwonderful oceansouth enduncrowded beachthe ground floorwailea beach pathcomforts of home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 18, 2011

My wife and kids (8, 11) stayed in Unit #407 for 5 nights. The 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit was just like the photos. The unit was beautiful and the location was great. On check-in, however, our room was not clean (trash under bed, kitchen floor sticky) which was a bit disturbing. The conscierge wasn't overly helpful the one time we dealt with them, but we've stayed in Maui before so we pretty much knew what we wanted so that wasn’t really much of a problem. The beach location is great and we mostly walked over to the part of Polo Beach in front of the Fairmont (just beware of partially submerged rocks near the shoreline - one got my 8 yr old daughter when she was boogie-boarding). The room came with beach chairs which was great and the balcony was huge (with great views). The only problem I had with the room itself is that there is a large window right next to the unit's entrance door so anyone in the hallway can see right into your unit with no way to block that (we partially blocked it with a boogie board). There was also only one doorknob lock (no deadbolt or any other locking mechanism) which made me slightly uneasy with the kids being in a separate bedroom (maybe crime is negligible, but every other room we had in Hawaii had better locks). The pool was nice and never crowded. Parking is in the basement and very convenient. All in all, the unit met my expectations. My one negative is that it was extremely costly and looking back, I'm not sure I would spend that much again. It was the definitely the nicest room we had on our 2 week trip, but it was also by far the most expensive. We'll be back to Maui in the future, but I'm just not sure we'll be back at this location – especially since we tend to spend a lot of time off-property doing things. But if money is not an issue, this certainly is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank humuhumu_fish
DestinationMaui, Manager at Polo Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Thank your for taking the time to share your experience at the Polo Beach Club. We were sorry to hear of the service issues you had and will share it with the staff to improve our level of service. With a prime beachfront location on its own excluded beach, the Polo Beach Club can be considered costly. We have 6 additional resorts at lower price ranges so please give us a call for your return visit. We really do appreciate you sharing your experience, since it is so valuable to future guests making their vacation plans. Mahalo!

Reviewed April 2, 2011

We stayed in unit 109 with my in- laws & my 5 year old son. We took my Mother-in-Law for her 80th birthday because she has always dreamed of visiting Hawaii.

I agree with the other review of this unit. The laundry door is not working properly & the master bathtub/shower is not easily or safely accessible. The secondary bathroom is accessible for everyone but is not an ensuite so it is mislabeled when saying there are 2 master suites.

And the see through bathroom door in the master is horrible! It was the oddest thing I have ever seen because it is right in front of the toilet.

These things aside, the Polo Beach Club is hands down our favorite property on Maui & we've stayed in many different places. The beach is fantastic & the snorkeling to the north of the hotel has more turtles then we've seen anywhere else on the island.

The grounds are beautifully maintained & the BBQ & pool area are lovely. The boogie boarding is wonderful right in front of the property.

All in all, we will definitely stay here again, especially if we bring our son. With him we loved being on the ground floor but if we go alone we will ask for an updated unit as high as we can get for an even better view.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Lisa1172
DestinationMaui, Destination Resorts Hawaii Management Company at Polo Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

While this particular suite (109) is not part of the Destination Resorts Hawaii collection, we do manage a number of suites in this beautiful oceanfront property. Our newly re-designed website allows you to view several pictures of each individual unit along with a detailed description. Should you have any further questions, you can even chat live with a Reservation Sales Agent who will be happy to provide further insight into our tropical island resorts and the many amenities we offer.
Ben Beaudoin
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed February 14, 2011

Stayed at Polo Beach Cub, condo #508. Booked thru VBRO and dealt with the owner - she was very friendly, quick to reply and sent us alot of tourist info. As everyone has already described, the beach location is suberb - there were only a few people - mostly those staying at the PBC; the people staying at the adjacent resort used the beach chairs provided for them, so did not really wander into the beach in front of us at ll - it was really very quiet! Snorkelling off the beach was fabulous when the water was calm, HEAPS to see. The condo was clean, comfortable. King size bed was great, spacious ensuite; lotsa towels; left the sliding doors open with blinds down - could hear the ocean all night ... bliss! Kids room down the hall; ceiling fans in both rooms; aircon, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher etc all provided. Kitchen was adequate - the utensils and crockery were a little downmarket, and probably should be upgraded. A few extras had been left (olive oil, some spices, washing powder) - always helps! Big flat-screen TV and several iPod docks also appreciated. The building is arranged with the condos in a step-like patterm and ours was the third line back I think - this means the view was to one side - towards the resort next to us. The sunset was on the other side, so could not be seen from our lanai; none-the-less, we had a lovely view with beach, and palm-trees - I took quite a few photos from the lanai, and the sunset photos from downstairs! The pool was lovely - often with only ourselves or a couple of other people. Kids loved the warm spa too. Beach chairs, esky and umbrella were provided - I would have really appreciated a couple of kids boogie boards tho, as these are a little costly to hire when we only used them a couple of times (additional cost over the snorkelling equipment). Parking underneath in the shade was great - never had a problem finding a spot. I guess the only problem is that Wailea is pretty much a golf-club environment, and to buy anything we had to go to Kihei - a car is a must - around a 10 min drive! Internet included and very useful too!
The only disappointing thing was that I left something behind - I contacted the front desk by email several times, but they never bothered responding - not what one would expect at this level. (Same happened with Mountain Riders cycle tours - had to cancel two booked tickets when my son ended up in hospital with suspected apenecitis - they told me I would get a refund - but several emails later I still haven't heard back at all! BAD way to do business!)
Anyhow - overall - it's a wonderful place to stay - would definitely stay again - would actually love the ground floor unit, as the beach was so quiet (at least in early Dec)!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank AussieOy
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed in condo#109. It is set toward the front of the building on the ground floor and is farthiest from the beach on this level. However, it is still very close to a beautiful semi-private beach.

Here are the pros and cons we found from this condo:
Pros:
-Great location, close to beach and pool.
-Owner very easy to work with when setting up reservation. Had great suggestions for us, especially for our rental car.
-Rooms were clean and well-kept
-Lots of beach chairs and a few boogie boards.

Cons:
-Online ad (on vrbo.com) made it seem like there were two master suites, which to us meant -- two suites with attached bathrooms. In reality, there is only one master suite. The second bathroom is accessed via the hallway.

-Online pictures and video made the condo seem huge, but in reality it was medium to small sized. It was comfortable, but don't be fooled by the pics.

-Master bedroom sliding doors would not open. Thus, could not sleep with the ocean sounds like we wanted. Sliding doors in living room hard to open and close.

-Master bathroom jacuzzi did not work -- very disappointing. Steep entry into shower via bathtub; not good for elderly.

-European style bathroom door in master. Can't be shy -- the door is all glass and transparent and is right in font of the toilet. We had to hang a sheet to create some privacy.

-No beach towels and not a lot of bath towels provided in general.

-Washer machine door needs to be slammed to get it to shut properly.

-Second lani off guest bedroom is tiny.

Despite the list of cons, we really did enjoy our stay at this condo. These are little things that added up, though, especially with the price that the condo typically rents at (approx. $600, depending on time of year). As long as you know these things in advance this is a really great location and you will have a good time like we did.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
11  Thank fatgatto
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Room 707 was amazing with a gorgeous ocean view. Being right on Polo Beach is amazing. Service onsite along with Destination Resort was top notch. The only thing that I was unhappy with is that I think there were bed bugs after housekeeping changed sheets as I got some bites on my legs. That would make me want to rent a more updated unit. Nonetheless, Polo Beach Club is wonderful and I would definitely return. The place was always quiet which is really important to me, and we always got a good night's sleep, unlike in many hotels where we can hear other people and water/shower noise frequently. The sunset and sunrise are amazing. Having washers/dryers with detergent is so convenient. I don't think I would ever stay at a hotel again given the choice.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
DestinationMaui, Assistant General Manager at Polo Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2010

We’re delighted you enjoyed the location and accommodations at the Polo Beach Club! We were very concerned after reading your review about bed bugs since guests prior to or after your visit and not reported anything. We immediately checked the bedding and entire suite, but could not find anything. Visitors to Hawaii can encounter minor skin rash or insect bites when exposed to the unfamiliar environments of salt water, sand or even a different detergent that may be used in laundering of bedding and this may have occurred, since bed bugs cannot go away on its own without treatment. The comfort of our guests and the cleanliness of well maintained rooms is of utmost importance to us so we thank you for bringing this to our attention. Otherwise, we were happy to hear that you enjoyed all the beauty of Maui and your comfortable suite and we look forward to your return visit.