“My New Favorite Restaurant!”
Review of Alan Wong's Amasia - CLOSED

Alan Wong's Amasia
Cuisines: Asian, Sushi, Spanish, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wailea Ike
Honolulu
“My New Favorite Restaurant!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We experienced Amasia while on a "stay-cation" shortly before Christmas. Loved it so much, we went back again the following night. Everything was top knotch: the manager even escorted us personally to the restaurant when he noticed we were unsure about the location the first night we dined there. The servers were all excellent and knew the menu and ingredients inside-out. The tapas style is great because it allows you to experience a greater variety of the wonderful and surprising tastes Alan Wong has on his menu. Just a few of our favorites: Kumamoto Oyster Shooter, Kushi Oyster (packs a lot of heat!), Seafood wontons (heavenly sauce!), Whole Tomato Salad (the li hing mui dressing is still on my mind!). Some items are surprisingly large portions (the tasty Chinese Chicken Salad) so make sure to ask if you tend to order more than you can eat. Wish there was an Amasia on Oahu so I could go there for my birthday next month!

Bend, Oregon
“Good food, slow service”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The food was really good. Great flavors and I like the way it was served "family style" one course at a time so you could really enjoy the different flavors. The service was good, but very slow. We had to wait in the "lounge" to be seated and they didn't even offer us drinks. Then we waited a long time for our drinks and even to place our order. Then we waited even longer for dessert menus and our check.

New York City, New York
“Enjoyed the food but very slow service”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We went on the Tuesday night after Thanksgiving. The restaurant was very empty.
We got quite a few dishes because my husband and I were really hungry.

"Soup and Sandwich" Grilled Cheese Sandwich: favorite of the night
Kumamoto Oyster Shooter: refreshing
Kona Kampachi Tiradito: i liked the passion fruit flavor but my husband didn't
Soy Braised Short Ribs: slightly too saucy
"Ochazuke" Tea and Rice Maki: comfort food
Shoyu Duck Bao Buns: this is just ok. nothing special

pineapple shaved ice dessert was amazing.

• Visited November 2012
“Something for everyone”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Loved low table atmosphere . Fun small plate concept... Great for us as we tend to be light eaters and like to share. Hubby was even happy as he typically doesnt like Asian food.

Calgary
“Loved the tasting menu! Star bonus too!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We both had the tasting menu! I loved the sashimi. My coconut drink was good and I liked the coconut ice cream. I was a bit distracted as Liv Tyler's back was to my husband's. Her date was cute too. Her son, Milo gave me a nice smile. My husband would not let me bother them, which I wouldn't but it was cool. I loved Amasia and our table was next to the pond. My husband's pineapple shaved ice was good. A must to go to!