“Spectacular food”
Review of Alan Wong's Amasia - CLOSED

Alan Wong's Amasia
Cuisines: Asian, Sushi, Spanish, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wailea Ike
London, United Kingdom
“Spectacular food”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Beautiful tea house setting in the grand wailea; rocks imported form Kyoto even! We had the tasting menu which was delicious and although expensive we felt worth it for the attention to detail. Good range of sake too.

• Visited December 2012

Saginaw, Michigan
“Delicious!”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Walking in, you feel as though you've stepped into Japan...There are multiple dining rooms which offer different atmospheres--we were seated in the 'quiet' dining room off to the left of the main entrance. The right side was much more 'happening', with seating around the sushi bar, the grill and more general dining rooms.

Nearly everything is 'tapas' style...Small dishes--so it's nice to try so many different things. 3 dishes were sufficient for my wife, I had 4 and could have gotten by with three.

Menu is very eclectic, offering flavors of Asia (things like steamed duck bao buns--a MUST have), Hawaii (poke and island fish), and comfort foods of home (the soup and sandwich was simply divine--a grilled cheese, kahlua pork and foie gras sandwich served with a chilled tomato soup, topped with a parmesan cracker).

My wife had mostly sushi-type things--the raw ahi platter was an amazing portion for the money. I mixed it up--the aforementioned duck buns were out of this world, and how Alan Wong took something as common as a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup and turned it into a 5-star plate of luxury is astounding. The beef tenderloin skewers allowed me to have some of the best beef I've ever had (and we've eaten at some of the world's best steak houses).

My only disappointment came in the grilled corn. It was undercooked. The idea was phenomenal--grilled corn. Who doesn't like grilled corn on the cob! About 1/3 of each piece was amazingly delicious--but they never turned it to cook the other sides of it, so 2/3 of it was still raw and untouched by heat. But all is forgiven, as the other three dishes I had were among the best foods I've had in our 5 trips to Maui.

Our seven dishes and two iced teas were about $90 with tax, before tip. Not bad for a place of this caliber and for the amount of food we had. You could do it 'cheaper' and you could go all out and easily drop $100/person plus alcohol. But that's the great thing about a tapas-style place--it's your choice. But even for our $90, we couldn't have wanted better food or more of it. It was perfect for us.

Service was good...We had Tait, who took good care of us, was friendly and knowledgeable of the menu. Some of the items came out a little slow, but I fault the kitchen for that. Our water and iced tea glasses were never empty.

Upon departing, we were introduced to the manager, Nicholas, who gave us a tour of the rest of the restaurant, and was genuinely appreciative of us visiting that night. He is a great ambassador of the establishment.

We look forward to coming back on our next visit to the Grand Wailea, hopefully next December for our 6th trip to Maui in the last 5 years!

• Visited December 2012
San Francisco
“No.”
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Chips: over-salted and over-vinegar
Nigiri and rolls: Inedible low quality sushi - can get it for a fraction of price elsewhere
Dessert: preparation time 45 minutes - waited for potential and redemption. Can get it from an ordinary bakery.
Drinks: very low quality can get it at any other place in town with higher quality.

Avoid at all costs. Bankrupt service and insolvent food.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Service a little left to be desired”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I had to greet the greeter to let him know we arrived and ask for a children's menu; even though he saw our son. One server gave my son my Mojito; he took a sip and then I immediately traded drinks-- it was hard to tell which was which; since his fruity drink looked similar--a server has never mistaken an alcoholic drink on me before!

My 5 course meal was delicious, but my son's mini sliders were not cooked through and the buns were burnt. I sent back the 2nd burger to be remade as the bun was very burnt and the meat wasn't cooked through--I'm sure that who ever cooked the burgers wouldn't feed their own kids burnt buns.

Service was slow and my server kept coming by to ask about my meal, but didn't ask if my son needed a refill on his pop.

Would not recommend for families.

Las Vegas
“Amazing Amasia”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This new restaurant at the Grand Wailea Resort, Maui, is a culinary delight! The concept is tapas, or small plates. My husband and I each picked 3 small plate items and then shared. We especially liked the Chinese Chicken Salad with Hoisin mustard dressing, the potstickers, and the Soy-based Short ribs. Every food item is uniquely displayed, and will tantalize your taste buds!

Visited December 2012