“Wailea Escape is an amazing retreat...”

Wailea Grand Champions Villas
Santa Cruz, California
“Wailea Escape is an amazing retreat...”
Reviewed September 20, 2008

I have actually stayed in two of Gail Dornstreich's four apartments (www.waileaescape.com) at the Grand Champion Villas on three separate occasions, and each visit just gets better. Walking distance to the cute town of Wailea, the condos are in a perfect location for shopping, dining, tennis, and golf. Just a short drive from Kihei, they are also a great landing point for diving, kiteboarding, and windsurfing. The entire complex is very clean and beautifully landscaped, and Gail's condos have all been recently redecorated and renovated in the perfect island style. Plus, Gail is a pleasure to deal with and made sure that the accommodations part of my vacation was trouble-free!

• Liked — Location and quality
  • Disliked — Limited storage for outdoor equipment (I had dive and kiteboarding gear)
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank surfergrr1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I thought that I would at least look into staying at a condo for our first trip to Maui. The problem I was having with condo sites was that they were normally run by resorts and it was not clear what unit you would get once you were there and what the amenities of that unit would be. I hate the unknown. However while checking reviews I noticed "VRBO" was mentioned several times and decided to Google it. Lucky I did. Vacation Rentals By Owner is a site that connects vacationers directly with condo owners. Due to price and availability I zeroed in on units in the Palms and Grand Champions properties. I finally decided to go with VRBO listing # 57038 in Grand Champions and that turned out to be a very good move. I and my traveling partners (our grandson and another couple) were wary due to the great price but there was no need to worry. This is a very nice 2 bedroom/2 bath condo on the Wailea Blue golf course ($99, $69 child as of this writing). Everything that they say about this property in VRBO is right on the money. I was leery about the comfort of the beds but they were great. Our 8 year old had no problem with the pull out bed in the couch. The air conditioners for the bedrooms worked fine but the AC in the living room struggled a bit by itself. We found that keeping the bedroom doors open helped the LR AC to keep the LR cool when it was needed. However, the ac was not needed as much as I thought it would be due to the constant breeze of the island- just open the porch door and prop the front door open and you're in business. I must admit that the owners thought of everything in appointing the residence- TVs, washer/dryer, pots,pans, dishes, beach stuff- u name it. We used the golf equipment and the boogie boards (never got the hang of the boards). They do have an assortment of DVDs and we left our Road To Hana cd there among them.
BE CAREFUL however when you first pick up the key to keep the key with you as you load. The front door is such that when it closes its locked- I was fortunate that my wife did have the key in her pocket when I inadvertently let the door close behind me while unloading the car. The only knock that I would have is the lack of WiFi but I don't know if that is a real hassle to set up and maintain for the owners. Besides keeping up with hundreds of emails I like to search out my vacation options (on the couch while watching tv) once I get to town- there are always things that I don't pick up in research that are noticed while I'm there. They do have a very easy to use cat 5 hook up for a laptop with a long cord.
The condo is about a 15 minute walk or a 3 minute drive to Wailea Beach- nice waves, not too crowded- and yes, the condo has beach chairs for you to use. The town of Kihei is a 5 minute drive to the right where you will find stores and restaurants (24 hour Foodland).
There are fancier condos with granite counter tops and flat screen TVs but I can't imagine that they can compare for the price that this condo is going for. And why people would stay at a hotel over any of the condos of this caliber is a mystery to me. Although the kitchen is there and well stocked with utensils you don't have to cook. We really regretted we couldn't stay longer.

• Liked — ammenities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank alan_dash
Everett, Washington
Reviewed March 9, 2008

The Grand Champions condominium complex is comprised of multiple buildings surrounded by a golf course. Each unit is individually owned, maintained, and decorated. Unit 50 is located in one of the interior buildings oriented to the pool and gardens rather than out to the links. Buildings heights are staggered – two and three stories. The Shops at Wailea Mall are close by, about a half mile walk or drive towards the beach. A couple of restaurants are also within easy walking distance.

We found this condo on the Vrbo web site (listing #36729) and contacted the owner directly for booking. What caught our eye in the listing was the combination of spacious and comfortable accommodations for two couples at a very reasonable price in the upscale Wailea area. The features most important to us were the two separate bedrooms with King beds in both, two bathrooms, and a large separate living area. The view of the ocean in the distance can be enjoyed from the lanai, living room, and master bedroom, and the picture in the listing showing the view is fair representation. This end unit is located on the 2nd floor (top floor for this part of the building) and has vaulted ceilings. Air conditioning is provided by three separately controlled units located in each bedroom and in the living area, and there are paddle fans in each area. We were pleased to find the condo nicely decorated, spotlessly clean, and well maintained. The interior wall paint and furniture have been updated. The complex was also very quiet. We did not see or hear any of the construction from our unit that some other reviewers have mentioned. Perhaps the neighboring construction has been completed or only seen and heard from units located on the perimeter facing the work. I found only one minor item that was not totally clean; the blender had some clear sticky residue inside that was easy to miss until I removed the blades base from the glass jar. Our one request made after arrival was handled quickly and courteously. I called the rental manager to request more washcloths and my request was quickly relayed to Lisa, the owner. She went shopping for brand new luxury towel and washcloth sets and brought them to us the next morning! It’s evident that she really cares about the comfort of her guests and the quality of the unit. The kitchen has all of the necessary utensils and appliances, including an ice maker in the freezer and a blender. Lisa informed us that kitchen range and microwave were going to be upgraded soon after our departure. Hairdryers have been provided in each bathroom. A cooler and beach chairs are located in one of the closets for use by guests, and a washer and dryer are located in a closet located on the lanai.

We would definitely stay at Grand Champions Wailea Unit 50 next time we visit Maui. Of all of the condos we have ever rented, my wife said this is one of her favorites. Its location a little bit inland makes it an excellent value for this luxury resort area. The nice distant view of the ocean is a definite plus.

• Liked — Very clean, comfortable, and a great value for the Wailea resort area.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2008

We stayed at this condo complex over Christmas. We had unit number 34. It was a 2 bedroom with a (very) partial ocean view.
The Good:
The service from Destination Resorts (the booking agency) was very good. The condo was very big, we are 2 adults and 2 teens and we had plenty of room. The bedrooms are roomy, there is lots of closet space and the bathrooms are spacious. The living space was fine and the air conditioning was good, although noisy because they are window mounted. The grounds are lovely and well maintained. The location is fair to good. It is close to the Shops of Wailea- about a 10 minute walk. You could walk to the beach but we always drove because if you carrying a cooler and supplies it's way too far to walk. The daily cleaning service was nice to have. If you book privately you may not get cleaning service- make sure you ask. I enjoyed the pools, although they are small. Parking was good. Free long distance was included- great perk.

The Bad:
Dated decor and furnishings. European style Kitchen cupboards from the late 80's. Worn and grubby carpet. Older appliances. Laughable "artwork" . Our unit needed a reno. Badly. We did have 2 big plasma TVs in our unit- weird. Some family members were staying in other Grand Champ condos, one (#13) was similar to ours and the other 1 bedroom (#34) was privately rented and was MUCH nicer inside. We paid $370/night and I thought it was overpriced even for Christmas.
The condo is not on the beach- next time I would choose to stay closer to the beach. It is quite a drive to a grocery store although it looks like a shopping centre of some sort is going up just east of the Grand Champs. Strangely, there are no sidewalks leading up to the main road, so walking is a bit hazardous as there is HEAVY traffic at times- this area is not an island hideaway!

• Liked — Lots of room
  • Disliked — Dated and worn
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank SammyJ
Northern New Jersey
Reviewed December 30, 2007

My 2005 review on Grand Champions goes into more detail and what I said in that favorable review is all still true of our 2007 stay. We had no problems with construction nearby. However, I do see the validity of other people's general comments, in the sense that the Destination Resorts rental pool condos can be treated as neglected cash cows by their owners. We were coincidentally given the exact same unit we had two years prior, and it had the exact same big stains on the exact same rugs and couches. Daily tips for the cleaning people do seem to elicit attentive daily service, but this has no effect on longstanding stains, of course. We received ample room and comfort in Wailea at a very reasonable price point, and so we have no real complaints. We weren't there for the couches, and I guess they know that. But for honeymooners or people who value luxury and pampering, I would look elsewhere. It is a rental unit in a residential condo complex, not a resort or a luxury hotel. Even at that level, a pool rental will be generic in its furnishings and decor (and their maintenance) whereas a direct-from-owner unit might offer more polish, for someone who intends to spend more time in the unit. The plus in dealing with Destination Resorts is on-island staff if there is a plumbing or appliance problem, daily maid, and a more generous cancellation policy than an individual owner can give you. Most direct-from-owner units expect full prepayment two months in advance, on a use-it-or-lose-it basis. That is their big drawback, in my opinion.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank WaterEnthusiasts
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Of the five lodgings we stayed over our 2.5 week Hawaiian vacation, this one was the least memorable.

Pros: Clean, tastefully decorated, and well stocked. Quiet neighbors. Air conditioned! which turned out to be a lifesaver as there is little or no breeze to cool down the condo (in contrast to oceanfront lodgings). Reserved parking. Best of all, affordable!

Cons: Our condo was located in an complex reminiscent of condo and apartment complexes back home. Our one bedroom came with one small TV set located in the bedroom. While we could walk to shops and the beach (and did so on a couple of occasions), it wasn't a pedestrian friendly walk--with no or few sidewalks or shade along the way.

Overall, a pleasant and affordable stay.

• Liked — Affordability
  • Disliked — Uninteresting
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WashingtonApple
Aiea, Hawaii
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Stayed: July 5th to July 9th, 2007
5 guests
2 bedroom 2 bath condo
Privately Own: Greg & Jackie Walker. Unit #166, LoveOurMauiCondo dot Com

Pros: Convenient Wailea Location, Beautifully decorated, Great value for the Wailea area, Reserved parking.

Cons: Wish could have stayed longer

With the Grand Champions condo complex, they are numerous property managers & private owners that rent out the 188 units. So make sure you search the web for various options. We found our unit on the Vacation Rentals By Owner dot Com website.

Unit # 166 was a perfectly decorated unit with 3 plasma sceen televisions, including a 42" screen in the living room. The kitchen has every utensil and accessory imaginable. This unit is not your typical tropically decorated unit from the "Brady Bunch" era, but a tastefully done contempary hawaiian theme.

As we told the Walkers, we will definitely be back soon to their beautil Wailea condo.

SGS 071107

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank SGerard_S84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Residence Inn Maui Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Maui Coast Hotel
Maui Coast Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Wailea Grand Champions Villas? Share your experiences!