“Wailea Ekolu Village #510”

Wailea Ekolu Village Resort
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Make sure you see pictures beforehand of the exact unit you are booking. We booked through hotels.com and were not pre assigned units. Only one of the three units that my family stayed in was updated with a great view from the living area.

We stayed in Unit 510 and it was outdated. The balcony has a nice view, but because it's on the side of the unit you can only see it if you go outside. The two bedrooms are downstairs and the layout was not friendly for young children with the stairs. The furniture was older and couch was uncomfortable. The carpet downstairs is old. The tvs were very old and small. Having a half bathroom upstairs, 2 full bathrooms downstairs, and a washer and dryer was convenient. Our unit did not have beach toys, snorkel gear, and boogie boards to use like some others do. We also had to pay extra to rent a playpen and high chair for our baby.

Another family with us had a similar unit to ours, but a third family had an amazing one floor unit with a great view from the living room and the entire unit was completely updated with high end finishes. We booked all three 2 bedroom units together for the same price per unit. Another family with us booked through a different site where they were able to see pictures and book a specific unit and we would do that next time instead. There are some nice units here, but 510 is not one of them.

Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank Kmsmiles

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is our 16th trip to Maui staying in VRBO or condo rentals and this place has been the worst. Do not book as you will constantly be bombarded by gardeners mowing, scraping, watering and zooming around in their golf carts at all hours of the day including very early in the morning. The watering system is also setup to go off at high pressure three times a night and seems to be aimed directly at whatever will make the most noise. If you are doubly unlucky to stay with a family with two constantly screaming children above you as we were, you will also realize that sound travels very well between floors, not to mention unit to unit. Looks good on paper, but we have stayed cheaper in South Maui elsewhere and had a more relaxed time. Our unit and landlord were great, but the on-site property management leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We just spent two weeks at unit 706, Ekolu Place and had the most wonderful vacation. This is the second time we have stayed in this unit (the first time was in 2011).

This is a fabulous upper floor unit, newly renovated (since our last visit in 2011), beautifully decorated, and very comfortable. It has two bedrooms, with a TV in each, two full bathrooms, washer & dryer, air conditioning and ceiling fans, and an electric barbecue on the lanai. The kitchen has everything you need in the way of dishes, gadgets, small appliances, etc. and we were happy to find laundry detergent, dish soap, etc. were provided. Also provided were beach chairs, umbrellas, towels. The unit had wifi and free long distance calling to Canada and the US.

We had a spectacular ocean view from the lanai (there are actually 3 lanais - a large one off the living room and a smaller one off each bedroom). There is nothing like waking up with coffee on the lanai, watching the sun rise, or enjoying a barbecue on the lanai while watching the beautiful Maui sunsets.

The grounds that Ekolu is situated on are absolutely beautiful and immaculately kept. It was a very pretty walk down through the grounds to the beach or to shopping – about 10 minutes to walk to the Shops at Wailea, where we enjoyed more than one hour before wandering down to the beach to watch the sunset (another 5 minute walk).

This unit 706 is rented through Destination Resorts. Check in was very quick and easy and both people we dealt with during our visit were very friendly and helpful.

We absolutely and very highly recommend unit 706. We had the most amazing vacations at the most amazing location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I called the office to let them know that the internet/wifi was not working. A woman who answered the phone name LISA was VERY rude and disrespectful almost to the point that she is so condescending on answering questions regarding the wifi which by the way their internet service is very lousy. She told me that the password was somewhere in the living room and that she does not know exactly where it was and for me to just look for it. I was fine with that but then after a few minutes of trying to work the internet, i still could not access it. I called again and she was the one who answered the phone again...and basically she had a voice of irritation that I called back she basically told me that I just have to be patient because other guest are having the same problem but that we should just be patient. I still kept my cool...finally I told her that the hair dryer was not working, this time I can feel in her voice that she was just exasperated with me. She said ok I will let housekeeping check on it. When I asked her what time they were coming she answered me "Maam I do not know, they will be there as soon as they can" I can really feel a voice of irritation...no manners

I finally told her that she is not a nice person to help guests but she kept on defending herself and place the phone down on me. What customer service is that!!! The whole time we were not able to access the internet. If she was so impatient in answering guests queries she should not be working with people. I hope management would teach their people more on how to handle guests especially when their price per day is NOT cheap.

Overall, it just ruined our first day of vacation. I will not recommend this condo to any of our friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angie T
DestinationResortsHI, Guest Experience Manager at Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Aloha....I appreciate you posting your review and want you to know that I am deeply concerned to hear about your experience with our front desk. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the lack of customer service that you received, as it is not the way we normally treat our guests. I know it does not change your experience, but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and will be addressing it.

Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed August 4, 2013

As part of our Hawaiian tour we spent 5 nights on this condo complex. it was just perfect for us. Roomy, very clean and comfortable. The only regret is that we elect to stay on the north part of Mauai and we could have stay longer at this great location

The small downside is that we arrive at night and it was really tough for us to find the locator facility. But we did it .

The staff was very polite and really help us in orientation on this part of the island.

Since you need transportation on this island, you're almost close to everything including two supermarkets..

TV, Internet, two bathroom, all we need for preparing food ( top gear ). Nice Terrace , comfortable bed.... We'll probably come back to Mauai and if the price is still good, this is were we want to come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha....I was happy to read that you had such a wonderful stay at Wailea Ekolu Village. The property offers all the amenities that Wailea has to offer at an affordable price, and we would love to welcome you back.

Destination Resorts Hawaii

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

good pool, decent condo for the price. There was room for my family of 5 and we were close to our favorite beaches. We had a distant view of the ocean since this place is located on a hill sort of far away from the ocean. Still, it was a good value and we had a nice time there.

• Stayed: June 2013
DestinationResortsHI, Guest Experience Manager at Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Aloha.....I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Wailea Ekolu Village. The property offers affordable accommodations with all of the amenities that Wailea has to offer.

Destination Resorts Hawaii

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We started our Hawaiian vacation with a five night stay at the Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, Unit #204. We are so pleased to have been advised to use condos to make Hawaiian vacations more affordable, and more like "living" in Hawaii instead of a hotel.

The grounds are beautiful and well-kept, and are less than five minutes from standing on the beach enjoying the ocean. Unit #204 is on the second story and features ocean views from the lanai.

Unit #204 is beautifully decorated and so comfortable. We found temp's in Maui hotter than we expected (in the low 90's) so we really appreciated having the air conditioning on at night.

Plenty of beach toys and chairs, mats, etc to enjoy on Maui's beautiful beaches. Our favorite was the one closest by... Wailea Beach Park.

The owners were delightful to work with on this stay. My appreciation to them for their excellent customer service.

Two tips: stop by the unit first before grocery shopping. We found we needed to pick up some laundry detergent when it came time to do some wash. There are plenty of grocery store options nearby in Kihei. The second tip is really pay attention to the instructions about finding the unit provided by the owners. All the condos look alike and my "smartphone app" gave up helping me. The secret is the sign for the tennis courts, and also the Manoli Pizza Company building. Your turn is right by those landmarks.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family