“Wailea Ekolu Unit#1406”

Wailea Ekolu Village Resort
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at Wailea Ekolu #1406 for 9 nights from April 1-10, 2013. The condo was nice, but at the same time there are several areas that need improvement. Below I have lined out the aspects that I liked/enjoyed and the aspects that I think need improvement.

THE GOOD:

-The owner is lovely and easy to work with
-The management company is very accommodating and quick to address issues
-Great location in Wailea, convenient to dining, shopping and beautiful beaches
-The grounds are very nice and well-maintained
-The condo floor plan is functional, spacious and flows well
-View of the ocean from the lanai was lovely
-Convenient parking without having views of parking lots
-The pools are very nice and were heated to a comfortable temperature

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:
(Of course I acknowledge that some of the issues below are not the fault of the owners.)

-The grounds did not have gas grills, only charcoal
-No hot tub
-The condo unit was not as clean as I would have hoped, it needs a thorough, deep clean.
-The furniture looked dingy and worn
-The carpet in the bedrooms was stained and looked old
-The internet connection was spotty, we connectivity about 30% of our time at the condo
-Very few kids (although this could be a plus for some vacationers) We traveled with our 5 year old daughter and she was constantly looking for a playmate. The people staying at Ekolu while we were there were older.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Hawaiiheaven
DestinationResortsHI, Guest Experience Manager at Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Aloha.....Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your feedback, both good and bad. The one area that deeply concerns me is the cleanliness of the unit and I hope you will accept my sincere apology for not providing you with the level of housekeeping service that you expect and deserve.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have stayed at Ekolu Village on 4 of our last 5 trips to Maui and love, love, love the complex!

Most recently we stayed in units 703 & 903 (we wanted to rent 305 but it was booked!), and both were wonderful.

The complex is beautifully landscaped and the units in the lower section abut the Wailea Old Blue golf course which provides huge and beautiful green space. There are two well kept pools for guests to use (one in the upper section & one in the lower) as well as several BBQ areas for residents to grill at (the buildings are wood construction so patio bbqs are not allowed unless electric). Several nights we took our veg, Mahi Mahi steaks, Maui beef and pineapple rounds and sat at the picnic tables that are smartly installed at each BBQ and sipped our wine while watching the sunset and revelling in the charcoal grilling of our dinner. Paradise!

The complex is walking distance to the Shops at Wailea, Ulua beach and the Gateway Centre -which houses a great cheese & wine shop and Monkeypod - an awesome restaurant owned by Merriman (our Cheers when we're in Wailea at Ekolu). It is also a great starting point for a run or a cycle.

Staying at a condo instead of one of the luxury hotels in Wailea we not only found saved us a tidy sum of money, but also allowed us to live like a local, to wash our sandy beach clothes and relax in more peace and quiet than a busy multi-roomed hotel provides.

The big thing to know though (and this is BIG) is that the units are all individually owned and with the individual ownership each unit reflects the owner's taste(or lack therof), renovation budget and pride of ownership. So it is IMPERATIVE to look at all the photos of the units you are considering before booking and look for ones that have been recently renovated. Knowing that the units are all privately owned we chose to go through either vrbo (vacation rental by owner) or maui owner condos to find our piece of paradise. (We rented once through Destination Resorts, but didn't like having to track someone down in the mall late at night to get the key to our unit).

All in all Ekolu is an awesome place to stay in Wailea....just be sure to pick the right unit!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChristineM998
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We recently returned from our fourth trip to Maui. Unit 1107 at Ekolu Village was booked with Destination Resorts. Overall, we were disappointed in the unit. If all you wanted was a spectacular ocean view, you would be satisfied. However, if you wanted to spend any down time in the condo, you'd be underwhelmed. This unit obviously hasn't been updated in at least ten years. The first things we noted were the stained carpets and walls, as well as a chair that I wouldn't let my dog sit in. The arms were black with dirt. The kitchen cabinets were basically painted (but not for at least 5 years) plywood. You could wipe the dust off with your finger.Our kitchen lacked basics such as a kettle, paring knife, pot holders, oven mitts and dish drainer. We had 3 place matts and not enough coffee mugs. As for the electronics, the TV's were at least 15 years old (flat screen? you must be joking!) and the sound system didn't work. The WiFi worked intermittently. I turned the A/C on once; loud & annoying. We had an electric BBQ that only worked when it felt like it. To the property manager's credit, they did remove the chair promptly (but didn't replace it) and provided a kettle and new sound system, The master bath was so tight, you couldn't open the shower door and bathroom door at the same time. In our trips to Maui, we have rented elsewhere in the same price range, but this unit definitely is substandard.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DogtorQB
Reviewed March 18, 2013

First of all, I had done a ton of research to find a good value rental and came across this property and my family (my husband and I, plus my parents) stayed in what was supposed to be a "ocean-front" property-- will get into it later-- with a great view from 2/10-12.

Upon booking (we booked a couple months before), you get a confirmation email with lots of PDF files -- from getting your fridge stocked in advance to helping you find the "check-in" lobby which is different from the property you are staying at. If you are checking in after 9pm, there's an instruction as to what you should do because you have to go somewhere else. MAKE SURE YOU PRINT EVERYTHING OUT. It will come in handy!!

Let me just say that we were coming from Hana and it looked like we would be arriving juuuust after 9pm (by a min or two) I tried to call the front desk to ask if they could wait for us but nobody picked up. We tried to go to the "front desk" located at some shopping mall, but couldn't locate where the office was exactly in the big, unfamiliar outdoor mall in the dark. We scramble to get the address off the PDF for late check-in and their directions made NO SENSE in the dark evening. (really, directions were terrible. Use your map on smartphone or GPS in the car) For late check-in, the guard at the gate of another property is supposed to hold your keys for late arrivals but when we got there, he didn't have any for the night. He said the manager usually drops it off at 9pm but hasn't done so yet. We waited and waited while he called the front desk and night manager in charge to figure out what was going on. We were told after 30+ min or so that the person in charge had "an emergency" and we should just go back to the regular check-in area at the mall. Someone will wait for us there.

We finally get there and check in the room #106. It seems okay and spacious but AC unit in the guest bedroom was so outdated and smelled a bit stuffy. (It looked like those old school cooling fans) We were exhausted so took showers and went to bed.

Next morning, I see a trail of small ants in the guest bathroom. That's weird, since we didn't eat or left any food the night before. especially not in the bathroom. Let me just say that they were there throughout the stay but reduced in number after drowning and wiping them off constantly. I don't little ants here and there (I dont think those little ones bite, to be clear) but the guest bathroom had much more than we would have liked. Oh well.

We had one incident where the door was jammed from inside and we couldn't open with our key. Really frustrating as we were running on schedule. I called the front desk who said they will send someone out. My handy father finally got it to open 30 min later and right at the moment we got a call from them saying they sent someone over. I kindly said we got it to open and didn't need the service any longer. She said I should have called before! I tell her we JUST fixed it ourselves and she said okay and hangs up. Not so amazing customer service.

The WORST blow of it all was... the view. I had called to make sure we would be getting a room with a decent view (my parents were flying in from abroad where they live to be part of this trip) since all rooms are different according to who the rental's owner is. But they said the ocean-front rooms are given to whoever arrives first (for those who booked ocean-front, of course) and they can't put requests. I guess, for arriving late, I got stuck with subpar room? Room #106 was on top floor so I was expecting a nice view of the ocean, which is what we paid for. but we ended up starting at trees all day long. Thanks!!

Overall, below average experience. Also, this place is not walking distance to the the ocean, FYI.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank J P
DestinationMaui, Guest Experience Manager at Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Aloha….I was very distressed to read your review describing the condition of your unit and your overall experience. Our standards and level of customer service that we set out to achieve are much higher that what you obviously experienced, and for that I must say that I am sorry. I would also like to apologize if the location of Ekolu Village was not properly communicated to you prior to arrival. Some of our units do have ocean views, but unfortunately Ekolu Village is not an oceanfront property and is a short drive to the beach.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to Maui for many years. We have mostly stayed in oceanfront properties, but thought we would give Ekolu a chance this year since it is such a great value. If you are not used to being right on the beach/across the street from the beach (or used to paying for Wailea hotels), then it may be a great property for you. If you are used to being near the beach, I would not recommend this property.

Make sure you find out the building/unit where you are staying before you book The unit we booked was quite noisy - even though it was a few units away from the main street (Building 1). The view was amazing from our unit, but 1/4 of it was of the parking lot of the business in front of the building (which, of course, was not shown in the photos - only the amazing ocean view was shown). Wailea Ike is one of the busiest streets in Wailea, so units off that street may be fairly noisy.

The pools were probably the most disappointing, as both were extremely small and neither have a hot tub. There are no other amenities (there is a recreation center, which we didn't check out - maybe there is a hot tub there, but it is all the way at the top of the hill). There is no open area for kids (except the golf course, which I'm sure they discourage), no tennis, sports court or anything else, other than the 2 small pools.

For the price, there are a number of other complexes in S. Kihei that are closer to the beach and/or have far more amenities. We will not be returning to Ekolu. It's too far from the beach, too many of the units have road noise and the pool areas are seriously deficient.

Room Tip: Avoid buildings near Wailea Ike drive (busy street)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CStewy
DestinationMaui, Guest Experience Manager at Wailea Ekolu Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Aloha...We appreciate your honest review of Wailea Ekolu Village. For those travelers who prefer to stay in Wailea, Ekolu offers reasonably priced accommodations within walking distance of shops and restuarants and a short drive to all of South Maui's beautiful beaches.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our family stayed in #805 (ground floor unit). Our suite was very clean, welcoming, and cozy. Kitchen had everything we needed. Beds were very, very comfortable (King and 2 Twins). TV's in each bedroom were great with one teen, one younger child.
My husband is a guy that loves to sleep in, but on this vacation, neither of us could wait to get up up (6am) for some Kona coffee, sit on our Lanai and watch the whales from our ocean view Lanai. The pool is warm - a great plus for kids. Electric outdoor grill was a bonus. Grounds are immaculately cared for. Lots of walking available. The most beautiful beach awaits you - Keawakapu - short 4-5 min drive.
Loved the "Top Maui Restaurants 2012 guide - from thrifty to 4 star - excellent help.
Tip: Don't go too crazy with a big shop at Costco - There are many restaurants where you can get fresh take out or dine in supper on a budget. Check the "Top Maui Restaurants guide" - lots of honest tips in there. We ended up leaving a lot of food behind. Next time we'll shop at Times Market/Foodland/Safeway for a few things.
-This suite was a beautiful and peaceful place to stay.
Kathy Englert and her team helped us with any questions we had. They were wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank familytraveller508
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Ours was also a very positive experience so I agree with all of the very positive reviews here and can't add much. We had #903. It is well appointed, beautifully decorated and impeccably clean. Our host was most helpful and enthusiastic. She made us feel comfortable and welcome. Vacation rentals are a much better value than resorts unless you just gotta have that resort experience. We enjoyed the peace and quiet not to mention the incredible sunsets and beautiful views. We highly recommend.

Room Tip: 903 is a lower level unit (no stairs) but we still had a fantastic view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple