“Afternoon Delight”
Review of Monkeypod Kitchen

Monkeypod Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Monkeypod Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wailea Ike Drive
Description: Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman is a place where foodies, beer lovers, and families escape the stresses of their day-to-day lives by enjoying an ice-cold beer and a great meal while surrounded by people who consider them honored guests and friends. Our restaurants are founded upon a passion for craft and we are dedicated to mastering the craft of food, drink, and merrymaking...With Aloha! Our menu features fresh island fish, hand tossed pizzas from our kiawe wood-burning oven, and homemade cream pies made from scratch. Thirty-six craft beers are on tap, each served at an optimal twenty-nine degrees. Our culinary cocktails feature unique ingredients such as acai spirit, coconut water, and Kula lavender. Our passion for craft also extends to our diverse wine list, which emphasizes sustainability, drinkability and fun. Come join us at our communal table, with friends old and new, and learn what it's like to share our "Lucky Live Hawaii" story.
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband and I visited the Monkeypod during happy hour 3-5:30 (another happy hour later at 9-11pm). We sat outside and had a pretty good view of the ocean from our table. We ordered coconut stout, mai tai and big swell pale ale. We shared a proletariat pizza and home cut fries that came with aioli sauce and homemade ketchup sauce, both really tasty! The menu said they try to use as many local and organic ingredients as possible. What we noticed was the abundance of unique menu items with ingredients we'd never heard of before. The Mai tai had an egg white foam that looked like a big frothy wave on top, very cool! The pizza was on thin crust, over fired with spicy sausage and pepperoni pieces, delicious! Our waiter, Damian, was wonderful: attentive without being intrusive. There was a musician inside playing live music which wafted outside giving an already great atmosphere more charm. We would recommend this for an afternoon treat!

Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

My review for my last and most recent visit here is average because despite it being lunch, and not as busy as usual, our service was unbelievably slow (usually food is prompt) and waiter left off a couple items from my entree and forgot to bring my soup until I asked again.
That being said: they are very nice here, and while it can be super loud and crowded in evenings they are usually prompt, food is great and they are happy to take special orders.
I love their vegan portugese bean soup, it is so tasty I would never eat the meat version again.
All entrees we've had have been excellent, and recommend for lunch, so less crowded though service & food were better at dinner.

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

My kids and us adults love the happy hour. My daughter gobbles up the pumpkin ravioli and I particularly loved the mai tai with the secret foam on top. In fact my kids ordered that foam on their smoothies. Delicious. We eat an early happy hour dinner and then bring pie back for dessert. It is a great topper to a long day at the beach. We try to come here at least twice during our stay. Four stars for the expensive pricing but happy hour makes it affordable for us.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Atmosphere here is modern however, so noisy you can't hear very well others in your party. Also, the live music from the duo during the dining drowned out any conversation. I could have done without it. Food was good to average. Small portions. $22 for three very small fish tacos without any accompaniment which were good but better at other restaurants for much smaller price tag. $4 for a coke. All in all, I wouldn't go back.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Excellent food, nice sunset views, and great servers make this place a must. Beware though, it can be very loud and crowded, reservations are mandatory.