“Tales of the Golden Monkey (Pod)”
Review of Monkeypod Kitchen

Monkeypod Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Monkeypod Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wailea Ike Drive
Description: Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman is a place where foodies, beer lovers, and families escape the stresses of their day-to-day lives by enjoying an ice-cold beer and a great meal while surrounded by people who consider them honored guests and friends. Our restaurants are founded upon a passion for craft and we are dedicated to mastering the craft of food, drink, and merrymaking...With Aloha! Our menu features fresh island fish, hand tossed pizzas from our kiawe wood-burning oven, and homemade cream pies made from scratch. Thirty-six craft beers are on tap, each served at an optimal twenty-nine degrees. Our culinary cocktails feature unique ingredients such as acai spirit, coconut water, and Kula lavender. Our passion for craft also extends to our diverse wine list, which emphasizes sustainability, drinkability and fun. Come join us at our communal table, with friends old and new, and learn what it's like to share our "Lucky Live Hawaii" story.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

After arriving at The Four Seasons on Maui, we didn't want to leave the hotel the first night so ended up having dinner at Spago's. What a horrible way to start a vacation at the Four Seasons! More on that one later! Anyway, we had heard through guests at the hotel about Monkeypod, so decided try it after having a wonderful dinner at one of Bev Gannon's restaurants. Well...............................It had to have been one of the best restaurants I have been to in a long while. Coming from San Francisco, where we have some of the top restaurants in the world, Monkeypod held it's own with the liveliness, the staff and most of all the food!! The Ahi Tuna was the best! And I mean, the best!! I have never had tuna that good as all the AAA tuna is sent to Japan and the US gets the next best thing. It was amazing! We ate our dinners so slow savoring each bite, that we ended up staying for a leisurely 3 hours! To start the dinner, the pumpkin squash ravioli's are a must, as well as, the beet salad. But it only gets better! The desserts! Ah, yes, the desserts! I had banana cream pie one night, but had heard rumors about the Strawberry marscapone cream cheese dessert. So light, so creamy, so wonderful, you just indulge. Calories!? Who cares when you have something so good! We actually ended up going back three times. The Mahi Mahi is a must, too! Makes the Four Seasons Spago's Mahi Mahi taste like McDonalds, and I'm not kidding! Had I known about this restaurant the first night we would have been there all 8 nights! The staff is wonderful, the food is served perfectly (coordination is like the San Francisco Ballet), but best of all it's fresh, it's great and it's fun! Don't miss this GEM of a restaurant!!!

1  Thank tigerandannie

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were recommended this resturant by the hotel staff. We arrived and were seated. My friend was asked what she would like to drink only after she inquired about it being Happy hour. No one ever asked me the entire meal what i would like to drink. We luckily had glasses of water on the table. The waitress came back to take our order we started telling her what we would like and she grabbed the menus and ran. We had wanted to order some appetizers since it was happy hour. We had to wait till she came back out to order. Which when it came was very good. I had the fish tacos which i thought were nasty. They had these two sauces on them the green which seemed to be Guacamole it was ok. But there were massive amounts ofred sauce that covered the tacos.. That is all you could taste I even tried to spoon it off. My friend had the fish and it was pretty good. I was just not impressed with the staff or the food.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Took our family including two picky kids, the waitress was awesome and the food was amazing! Prices were much lower than other Wailea restaurants, but they could easily compete or beat the quality of food and drinks at the resorts nearby.

We got there before 5:30, so half price on the appetizer wings was an added bonus. The Mai Tai my wife had was a bit too strong, but the Pod Thai was a unique drink I would recommend. They have a changing dinner special which sounded great so I ordered it. This one was a light pan fried fish with coconut red curry sauce topped with a cucumber lobster salad. Incredible flavor combinations, it just needed a little more sauce because the fish was slightly dry.

Very cool atmosphere, trendy, but not so much to make a family feel out of place. We will definitely go back during our trip.

I would recommend reservations any time, at 5 we took the Iast open table and it was packed all evening.

1  Thank Scott_in_Surprise
Reviewed October 15, 2013

After two very disappointing meals at our Four Seasons hotel restaurants in Wailea, we found this super popular Peter Merriman restaurant through the great reviews on Trip Advisor. The menu has something for everyone, from hand crafted wood fired pizzas, burgers and steaks to some of the best and freshest fish on the entire island! We loved this place so much we went back three nights in a row! The macadamia nut crusted Mahi was excellent, but the Ahi Tuna entree with a soy ginger maui onion sauce was hands down the BEST I have ever had! Try the Pumpkin Patch Ravioli as a starter, then share a Kapalua Farms Roasted Beet & Maui Onion salad. They're happy to split salads so you can save room for the "famous" house made cream pies! They have banana, coconut, lilikoi, chocolate and our absolute favorite, the Hula strawberry. They had live entertainment every night we were there and while some may say it is a bit noisy, it's more "lively" then anything else. Service was excellent and the entire staff is gracious and really love their jobs and it shows! Don't miss this Wailea gem! Make your reservations ahead of time and you won't have to wait as long for a table...this place is popular!
The Escalades and Lincoln Navigators from all the top hotels in Wailea were lined up out front to either drop off or pick up their hotel guests. Just goes to show what a great restaurant Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman is!!

1  Thank MarinCountyJohn
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had a very small piece of monchong for $37 and my husband had a steak for $39. Although the food was quite tasty and service very good, I thought it was very expensive. you can get much better at other restaurants in the area for about the same price.

Been to Monkeypod Kitchen? Share your experiences!