“Great food, lively, ambiance .....”
Review of Monkeypod Kitchen

Monkeypod Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Monkeypod Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wailea Ike Drive
Description: Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman is a place where foodies, beer lovers, and families escape the stresses of their day-to-day lives by enjoying an ice-cold beer and a great meal while surrounded by people who consider them honored guests and friends. Our restaurants are founded upon a passion for craft and we are dedicated to mastering the craft of food, drink, and merrymaking...With Aloha! Our menu features fresh island fish, hand tossed pizzas from our kiawe wood-burning oven, and homemade cream pies made from scratch. Thirty-six craft beers are on tap, each served at an optimal twenty-nine degrees. Our culinary cocktails feature unique ingredients such as acai spirit, coconut water, and Kula lavender. Our passion for craft also extends to our diverse wine list, which emphasizes sustainability, drinkability and fun. Come join us at our communal table, with friends old and new, and learn what it's like to share our "Lucky Live Hawaii" story.
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Dinner was great, I had the Ahi with jalapeño mashed potatoes. Also came with some veggies. The potatoes weren't spicy just real flavorful. Also Mahimahi , really good also with the mashed potatoes etc.
I highly recommend Monkeypod but, for one the seating is rather odd . Outside was nice at night though . We had a Ceasar salad that could have been good, I think they may have forgotten the dressing . So much Parmesan ( which I do luv) but I couldn't tell if there was actually dressing . We were Hungry so just went with it. Our entrees were exceptional , good wine choices, go.

There are newer reviews for Monkeypod Kitchen

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Great service and the fresh fish done a couple of different ways. I loved it fried with chips. Not oily. Leave room for anything lilikoi - Hawaiian passionfruit. The best ever!

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Went to Monkeypod on my 3rd night in Maui off recommendations from hotel staff and I am so glad we did. It was nice getting off the property to eat and it offered great value. The chicken wings and coconut pie were the best I've had anywhere. The fish tacos were a little above average, so I would pass on those. I will definitely recommend this place to friends.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Came here on a weeknight after Labor Day and unlike most restaurants in Wailea at this time, it was totally packed. Good thing we made a reservation because we got right in while many others waited about 20 minutes. The restaurant is on the second floor of a strip mall near the highway end in Wailea so location isn't the attraction - the food is why you come, apparently. And probably the people watching. The restaurant has a huge bar area, a big beer list and lots of creative cocktails. Multiple big screen TVs have surfing contests and highlights on an endless loop. The seating area for dinner is huge. There must have been 200 tables.
Despite the crowded scene the services was good and fast (almost too fast). We ordered our appetizers (fish tacos and jalapeno poppers and they were on our table five minutes later. Literally as soon as we finished the appetizers our main dishes arrived. We were through the food so fast that we felt guilty lingering at our table. The servers never made us feel like we should hurry up and pay but came by multiple times - to the point that we felt we were taking up a table they wanted to flip. So much for a relaxed meal on Maui.
I'd like to say the food was great but it really just ok. If you are looking for good casual food, this is a nice selection. If you are a foodie, you might be disappointed. The menu is definitely creative, with lots of interesting ingredient combinations but at least the ones we ordered didn't deliver that much flavor.
The pizzas are pretty small for the price and the fish dishes were nothing to write home about. Frankly the food isn't much better than you can get at many places in Wailea and Kihei that have better atmosphere and views at the same prices.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I went here for our 20th anniversary. I had the ribeye and it was outstanding. My wife had the roasted butternut squash pizza and almost ate the entire thing herself. She never does that, so you can gauge how good it was from that. She also had a grapefruit martini with basil that was out of this world. The only thing better, living up to its name, was the No Ka Oi that is probably one of the top 5 best drinks I've ever had. Atmosphere was lively, including a small live music ensemble.