“Good food - ok service”

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a
Ranked #16 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boise, Idaho
“Good food - ok service”
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went here for dinner during our stay. The food was amazing! My husband had lamb which was superb and I had the salmon which was so tasty I almost licked the dish. The service was a bit slow, Patricia didn't ask if I'd like another glass of wine until I was nearly finished with my meal. She was knowledgable about the food and gave great recommendations but we almost seemed to be a bother to her. Not super friendly/nice but simply got the job done. Not the kind of service I would expect at a 150$ dinner for 2. Atmosphere was lovely and the view of the ocean and sunset was beautiful. I would recommend going for the food- it was worth the money but our particular waitress was not the best.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mosier, Oregon, United States
“Beautiful Sunset View, Delicious Food”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Upon arrival at the Grand Wailea resort, we were greeted by mandatory valet service. We were given directions to the restaurant, and became very lost on the grounds. Once on track we arrived at a beautiful dining place during sunset. Our server Anneve was genuinely friendly, and cheerful. Drinks, food and dessert right on schedule and very good. We did notice a slight fish smell, but seafood is their specialty.

• Visited March 2014
San Rafael, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,521 helpful votes
“This is a classic Hawaiian restaurant with outstanding views.”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The service has always been excellent. They cater to the kids to giving them little stuffed humuhumunukunukuapua'a fish as a souvenir. They also let the kids feed the fish below in the pond.. it's very fun for the kids to do this, but you must supervise the little ones carefully.

The food here is outstanding. My husband loves the fish,.. and I love the salads and rice dishes. They offer Hawaiian options for kids too. If you get a reservation ask for a view of the ocean.. of course! Lovely at sunset but always gets very booked up so book way in advance.

Sadly, I think the hotel Grand Wailea Hotel where this restaurant is situated has gone downhill, but Humuhumu (no one but the kids bothers to say the whole long name) remains stellar and classic Hawaiian details. Oh yeah.. one more super duper cool thing. There is usually a native Hawaiian man carving massive pieces of art from wood. He sits in the front and is entertaining to watch if you have to wait a bit for your table. A must see if you visit Maui. Again.. totally classic.

Visited July 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

With a wide variety of steak, seafood, and fish Humuhumu was an excellent restaurant to dine at. The atmosphere and path to get to the restaurant itself was fun and enjoyable. The restaurant sat atop the water and over looked the ocean. Eat there at the right time and you'll see a spectacular sunset into the ocean.

Visited March 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good Food”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Loved the food and the atmosphere. Smelled quite fishy because you're on the water and there are fish EVERYWHERE, but we enjoyed the view and throwing our bread to the fish.

Visited October 2013