“Kind of garish”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2013

In the excellent Maui Revealed guidebook, Andrew Doughty notes that this restaurant regularly cycles from very good to very bad. Sadly, we caught it at what must have been one of the very bad points:
You do have to enter through the huge Grand Wailea lobby (they give you a map for Pete's sake) and wander through grounds that represent probably the worst combination of Disneyland and Las Vegas styles: mobs of people being herded to various luaus, packs of children splashing their way from one waterfall pool to another, and generally wondering if you are ever going to find the restaurant. When you get there, reception can be fairly brusk, service can be pretty much coffee-shoppy, and food pretty tough (think "ahi harder to chew than a bad steak").
The atmosphere is funky tiki-hut motif, but don't look in; look outwards, and see that you are on a little man-made lagoon amidst landscaping designed for photo-ops. When you get home and share your photos with friends, you may wonder how you could have had such a bad time in such a good-looking place.

1  Thank DickB707
There are newer reviews for Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

Reviewed June 20, 2013

No other place with a more special setting. I took photos and showed them at work, people thought I got them from google. Try the Korean fried chicken, it's unreal! Great service, very prompt. Worth the expense.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

thought it is pricey, the food is awesome, I had the surf and turf. I am a country boy so I like to decide on my own sides, but the menu already had predetermined sides decided by the chef, however he chose potatoes and mushrooms which is fine by me. best mushrooms I have ever put in my mouth. We told them it was our honeymoon and they brought us a free special tasy chocolate dessert, and gave us a discount on our bill since we didnt want the complimentary bottle of champagne.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Yes, this place is expensive, but the view and the food explain why. And yes the restaurant is not right at the front door of the hotel, but this also adds to the ambiance (not a lot of people just walking around during your dinner) - it's an expensive restaurant and hotel, so ask someone directions....its their job to make you happy.
Make a reservation for around sunset and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

As we do not like seafood, we only had drinks at the bar. Watching the bartenders was amazing. The drinks were fantastic, strong, and had fresh ingredients. The show watching the bartenders, however, was amazing! They were absolutely phenomenal and quick, easily keeping up with the ever-busy printer! Anyone who has worked in the service industry will be impressed!