“Beautiful sunset”

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a
Ranked #16 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Diego, California
“Beautiful sunset”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

One of the best emals we had in Hawaii..go at sunset...AMAZING!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beloeil, Canada
“Delicious but expensive”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

The place is just beautiful. There are ponds all around the restaurant with colored fish. The tables and decor are very nice. The food was just delicious and original. My dislike is the price of the meal. Two people with one bottle of wine (not the most expensive) cost 250$.

Bartlett, IL
“The Name is more appealing”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Although the food was good, I would have liked more specials. Perhaps it was the server, didn't have anything to add to make the evening better.

Pensacola, Florida
“Unbelievable food and views-frustrating service”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I would give this restaurant a 5+ for food, ambiance and view, and general staff. The four comes from a VERY IMPORTANT NEGATIVE point deduction due to our waiter which I will speak about at the end of this review. But first, the good. My husband had the butterfish-it was to die for and comes highly recommended by both of us. The miso sauce and baby bok choy side were also excellent. My husband actually asked for different sides because he's not a big veggie guy so he asked the waiter if he could have something else. The waiter said no problem but when the food came his fish was served with the normal sides and the two side dishes were in extra containers. No problem, we thought. My husband just gave me his veggies and we didn't realize this "extra sides" issue would be a problem until later. I had macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi which I would order again had I not tried my husband's dish which was just a little better. My mother had the crab crusted Hapu’upu’u (sea bass) of which she said she enjoyed every mouthful and dad had the surf and turf. He loved the steak-said it melted in his mouth (and he's usually a picky steak person) but thought the lobster was just okay. It was spiny lobster and he's accustomed to Maine, so perhaps the texture was not to his liking. The "ahi traps" appetizer was okay, but not worth the price considering how good ahi is so easy to come by throughout Maui. Drinks were good, nothing outstanding to mention. Now, on to the bad part. We read online that they have "happy hour" from 5-6 pm and that "house wines, beers, well drinks, and mai tais. We ordered a round of drinks and then later, with our meal it was still only 5:30 so I asked the waiter what the "house wines" were as far as whites. He named a bunch, then brought us a menu, and I said "we'll just take the house pinot you mentioned." So here was the problem...now granted, this is one of those restaurants you go to that you don't go to unless you don't mind high prices for great food. However, I also don't like getting raked for items that shouldn't have been there. The bill had both glasses of wine (house wine that I SPECIFICALLY asked about) at full price of $14. We asked the waiter that we thought wine was half price and he said "oh no, not the pinot." I didn't fight with him on the point that I specifically asked about the "house whites." We just let it go. Then we realized that both substituted sides that my husband had ordered instead of the veggies that he didn't want but that were served anyway were charged as an additional $9 each. I'm sorry but $9 for some potatoes and $9 for some fried rice would be fine if you had planned on ordering them for the table, but he specifically asked the waiter if he could have "different" sides, after the waiter had just recommended an alternative side to my dish that he preferred to the one usually served (for which we were not charged extra). Typically, a good waiter or waitress would mention to my husband something along the lines of "that will be a little extra" if there is an upcharge for an alternative side, but this one didn't. Again, it wasn't that we didn't have the money, it was the principle of it. If my husband had known he was going to get charged nearly $20 for some potatoes and rice, I guarantee he would not have ordered both. We're definitely not penny pinchers but this is kind of ridiculous. He specifically asked if he could have a different side and the waiter just said no problem. In my mind, he definitely should have stated that there would have been an upcharge. Because this was such a nice restaurant, we just let it go understanding that there was probably not much we could do because the waiter didn't seem to want to try to even make amends for the wine issue. All in all, he caused us an additional nearly $50 in charges of items we technically thought would not be on the bill. And then we had to tip him $50 because we nearly always tip at least 20 percent if not more, even if service isn't great. He was nice enough and served the meal itself fine, but we just don't like feeling like we had money stolen from us. Anyway, highly recommend eating here but just be careful to clarify any bottom line issues.

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank sarahill
San Francisco
“nice relaxing dining experience”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

food was very good...it's not a fancy restaurant but staff was friendly and service fine.

Visited September 2011