“Disappointing and expensive”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: The Shops of Wailea
Description: In 1965, Ruth Fertel mortgaged her home to buy a little steak house in New Orleans named Chris Steak House. After investing her life savings, she proudly added her name to the original. That's how the uniquely name Ruth's Chris Steak House was born. Ruth established this unique restaurant with no restaurant experience, but she vowed to treat every customer like a guest in her own home. And she clearly knew what steak lovers wanted - the very best beef. Today, as always, Ruth's Chris serves only the finest corn-fed Midwestern beef available, broiled in 1800-degree ovens designed by Ruth herself. The steaks are served sizzling on 500-degree plates so every bite is hot and delicious. And while steak is king, the menu also includes expertly executed seafood, lamb, pork, and poultry dishes, as well as classic appetizers, fresh salads, side dishes, and homemade desserts. The award-winning wine list features more than 250 world-class international and domestic labels. Whatever the occasion, Ruth's Chris Steak House is the perfect spot to gather. Unparalleled cuisine, sumptuous surroundings and service that's accomplished yet never fussy - these are the elements of memorable special events.
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Having eaten in a number of Ruths Chris restaurants on the mainland I was very much looking forward to my meal here. Our booking was at 8.00pm. The waiter was always rushing off and at one point I was halfway through asking for something and he started to walk away. At 8.00 we were told the shoestring fries had run out!! The steak was extremely fatty and largely unedible. I usually like to go to Ruths, Capitol Grille, Mortons or Flemings when i'm working in Detroit so know what to normally expect and this was more than disappointing given the premium price they charge.

There are newer reviews for Ruth's Chris Steak House

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Everyone knows they have good food, but is it worth the price? I'm not so sure. Nothing comes with sides so those all come at an extra expense.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

On our recent trip to Maui, my wife and I went to the Ruth's Chris in the Wailea shopping center. We decided to go to the happy hour because they had great deals on the food and drinks.
Everything was very good, from the cocktails to the food (choice of multiple appetizers). You could also order off a early bird pre-fix menu or the regular menu.
It was so good, we went back a second time during our trip. You have to try the Barbequed Shrimp. It is not barbequed, but it is excellent!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I'm a big Ruth's Chris fan and have visited their locations across the U.S. While some might think this chain lacks a bit of charm, there is something to be said for a comfortable, relaxing meal that meets / exceeds your expectations 3400 miles from home. My wife enjoyed a petite filet while I had the lamb, and both were great. Their bar service and meal presentation were equally impressive, and we were made to fee comfortable from the moment we arrived. As usual, the place isn't inexpensive, but given the meal prices around Maui in general, Ruth's was almost a bargain! Great location immediately adjacent to our hotel, too.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have been to Ruth's Chris at many locations around the USA over the many years for special occassions in 2010 it was for a close family re-union in Orlando, this year it was for our 32nd wedding anniversary. It's a fine steak and chop house. For us Ruth's Chris is a treat and we enjoy the treatment when we do decide to splurge. We were staying at a Mariott in Wailea, Maui and Ruth's Chris was located in the upscale shopping center located next to the property; so to celebrate our anniversary we decided to have the consiguere book reservations for us to enjoy a quiet booth dinning experience that evening at Ruth's Chris.

For starters my wife sipped on a non-alcoholic tropical drink while I savored a fine California Pinot Noir. We then split a salad to start our dinner and since I like a fine steak cooked to order, I ordered the ribeye medium rare + one minute while my wife decided on Ruth's Chris pork chops. We always split sides and salads because they are so big. But this night we could not agree so we ordered three sides to split. I had a baked potato, and my wife had the sweet potato casserole and we shared aspargus. Too much food!

Both orders were prepared to perfection and were outstanding. I enjoyed every last bite of my ribeye but my wife was unable to touch her second chop. That chop and much of the sides made their way back to the hotel for my wife's lunch the next day. For dessert we had cofee and took the cheesecake to go. We did not eat the cheescake until the next evening however. Tip: The sides are more than enough for two so order carefully. The bake potato can feed three!

Our service was attentive but not to the point of interupting good conversation. We never had to ask for a refill on water and the crumbs were always cleared from the table top and the check was delivered only after we had requested our dessert order to go. The wait staff at this restaurant was very professional and good at what they do! We got out of there with a $170 tab which included a 22% tip. Yes, that was about four usual dinner tabs for us, but I had saved for this special dinner for 10 months putting my non-cooper coins from my pocket each day in a jar. That jar cash paid for this and a dinner show featuring Maui ledgendary musician and singer Uncle Willi K who was also performing in Wailea the next day.

2  Thank JRFord

Been to Ruth's Chris Steak House? Share your experiences!