“No Flavor Sorry!”

The Grand Luau at Honua'ula
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted the #1 Best Luau in South Maui by the Maui News readers' poll, THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA is a must-see, rich, cultural experience! Located at the award-winning Grand Wailea Resort and Spa, this luxurious setting, just steps from the sea, is truly magical!"HONUA'ULA" means "Sacred Lands" and refers to the Grand Luau's physical setting which is surrounded by the rising slopes of Haleakala and the expansive azure blue of the Pacific Ocean. Gather with your friends and family for an event destined to become the highlight of your island visit. Join in a variety of ancient Hawaiian activities and games. Discover a unique treasure at our island handicraft market. Witness the unearthing of the kalua pig from the "imu", our traditional underground oven. Sip tasty tropical drinks from our premium open bar available throughout the evening. Savor our bountiful buffet of regional cuisine with a generous variety to please everyone's palate. Dine comfortably at our intimate tables while viewing the breathtaking sunset and the star-filled skies above. Enjoy our spectacular show as THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA brings to life the ancient stories,songs and dances of the Pacific islands. Feel the genuine touch of Aloha, under the palm trees,caressed by breezes. Experience the GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA and celebrate the true magic of Maui!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I am giving 3 stars for the hotel grounds, the speedy friendly valet parking. Ushers running the luau and the performers gave it that warmth and professionalism that gave it that warm Hawaiian feel. 1 more bar tender would help, thumbs up to the 2 they had. The downside was the food, unfortunatly it lacked alot of flavor. The Kalua pig I was so looking forward to was very dry and needed more cabbage. The other foods were pretty bland and I thought the selection could have been better. I did enjoy the steak. The desserts tasted dietary no sugar taste, I was looking for the authentic Hawaiian foods that gives you high blood pressure and the doctor would tell you not to eat. 6/12/14

1  Thank 71261Traveler

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Wow! This was our second time at this Luau and it didn't disappoint again. All three of our children loved it! Worth the cost! Food is fantastic. I loved how the cast took time to talk with my children after the show.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Overall, we enjoyed this luau.
Pros:
-Show was very good. Our 14 month old daughter LOVED it. She danced in my lap the entire time.
-Grounds are beautiful with an amazing view of the sunset.
-Drinks were good. Although there are only two bartenders, I thought the lines moved pretty well. They do prepare some drinks in advance. The servers will also get your drinks but we found it was quicker to go ourselves.
-Fire dancer was great.
-There is plenty of room for a little one to run around if they get restless as ours did towards the end.

Cons:
-Some of the food was a little overcooked. In general it was good though. It's tough serving that many people.
-The "extras" are a little overpriced. $25 for a photo. But that seems to be the average for most places.
-We requested a high chair during reservation. When I asked during check-in, they said we could ask our server for one. What is the point in requesting the high chair if they aren't going to have it at our table? It took them 5-10 minutes to bring it to us.
-Tables were round. So the people facing the ocean had to turn their chairs around for the show. Just kind of annoying.

Tips:
-If you have a Costco membership, use it for a great discount. You can buy the tickets online in advance or buy a gift card at the store on Maui.
-Don't pay the extra money for upgraded seats. It just didn't seem worth it. I don't think the views from any table would be bad.
-Bring sunscreen! The entire venue is open air.

1  Thank Jessica P
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The ambiance was beautiful, relaxing, the people were extremely friendly. The food was good and the show was long but worth it! Having experienced this one in February 2013, I was very disappointed with the one the Chief's Luau that I attended in Honolulu (May 2014).

1  Thank jetsetter369
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was my second trip to Hawaii and had already attended a luau on my first visit. This luau was definitely up to par…just not anything to write home about. The location is lovely, with a view of the beach, sunset, ocean. The show was average-performers were average-food was average. The seating is at your general/run-of-the-mill round table seating, whereas the first Luau I attended, there was seating on the ground…more traditional style I guess? I just thought that was a bit more fun.
Overall-Not bad, especially if you're staying at the Grand Wailea resort already!