“Best Luau we have done in Hawaii”

The Grand Luau at Honua'ula
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted the #1 Best Luau in South Maui by the Maui News readers' poll, THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA is a must-see, rich, cultural experience! Located at the award-winning Grand Wailea Resort and Spa, this luxurious setting, just steps from the sea, is truly magical!"HONUA'ULA" means "Sacred Lands" and refers to the Grand Luau's physical setting which is surrounded by the rising slopes of Haleakala and the expansive azure blue of the Pacific Ocean. Gather with your friends and family for an event destined to become the highlight of your island visit. Join in a variety of ancient Hawaiian activities and games. Discover a unique treasure at our island handicraft market. Witness the unearthing of the kalua pig from the "imu", our traditional underground oven. Sip tasty tropical drinks from our premium open bar available throughout the evening. Savor our bountiful buffet of regional cuisine with a generous variety to please everyone's palate. Dine comfortably at our intimate tables while viewing the breathtaking sunset and the star-filled skies above. Enjoy our spectacular show as THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA brings to life the ancient stories,songs and dances of the Pacific islands. Feel the genuine touch of Aloha, under the palm trees,caressed by breezes. Experience the GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA and celebrate the true magic of Maui!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was the best one we have done thus far. Our kids loved it and the food was actually as well. The setting is beautiful. The Kalua pig is to die for. For the $$ they should offer better booze

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"flower lei"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The show was great - fire dancing always gets everyone excited, but the food and service were awful compared to the Old Lahainua Luau. We were dissappointed in the limited and boring food selections and the service from check-in to le aving was unfirendly and stiff - they've lost the passion and excitement of entertaining tourists. Save your money and pass on this lackluster expereince.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I took my family of five to the luau at the Grand Wailea. Granted this type of luau is an extremely touristy activity, however, we were presently surprised. The food was good, but not great. The drinks were on the weak side, but plentiful, easy to get, and included in the price. We took lots of family photos in our Hawaiian shirts and flower leis, and all enjoyed the crafts and games they had set up before the dinner started. However, what truly made this worthwhile was the post dinner show. The dancers were very good and the story was entertaining. The fire dancer at the end made for a grand finale.

Although the tickets are pricy to start with, one thing I would definitely recommend is to upgrade to premium seating. Our front row, center table made the show much more enjoyable to watch. Another recommendation is to have at least one person in your party show up EARLY. On their website they say registration starts at 4:00, but when I arrived around 3:40 there was already a line of about 10 people. However, because I had premium seats they took care of my reservation while I was standing in line and I by 3:50 was able to go off to explore the hotel grounds and have a drink. When I walked by again at 4:05 there were already about 80-90 people standing in line. Once you get your table assignment you can show up later at any time you like, because your actual seats at the table (not assigned) are not that important.

Yes, we could have spent our time at the luau critiquing the food and the authenticity of the performance’s Hawaiian history storyline. If so I might have given this an average rating. Instead, my family and I decided to enjoy the moment of being tourists, taking in a beautiful evening by the beach, numerous cheap drinks, and an entertaining show with beautiful dancers and plenty of humor. Aloha.

2  Thank MDColorado
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I went to Maui this year (2nd time). Last year I went to the "Drums of the Pacific" Luau which was excellent! When I started planning my trip this year I was very excited in seeing the Grand Luah at the Grand Wailea. It is a luxurious hotel and I thought compared to others it would be amazing.

It was "just okay". The food is amazing, no issues there. However the area (for dining) is so big that unless you had the premium seats you did not have a good view. There were so many people that when the performance was on you would get distracted from people walking around. The lighting was dark on the stage that at times you wondered if it was "rehersal" or the real show. This is my second Luah and on the first it had a smaller audience which helped to have focus on the show. I guess if you are staing on the Wailea side it's ok but if you are staying in the Lahaina side I don't think it's worth the drive. I went with family and this was their first trip to Hawaii. I was so excited for them but they (like others in audience) lost concentration and during the performances. It would help to have more lighting, sound, and cut the size to 1/2 audience so that it is a more intimate Luah.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have to admitt I was not initally enthusiastic when our group said it was going to the Luau and that we had to arrive early. It turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. The entertainment is excellent. These folks seem to really enjoy what they are doing. The setting is beautiful and there are opportunities to meet local artisians who have stands at one side of the show area. As was the case wherever we went in Maui the artists were very friendly and really interested in describing tgheir work even if it was clear you were not going to be making a purchase. The food is plentiful and the bartenders do a good job. Not the greatest food I have ever eaten but I thought they did a good job considering it was an outside event. There was an ample selection and you were inviting back for more if you were hungry. The whole thing is run very efficiently so there are not long lines of people waiting to get their food. Make sure you check the weather. It did get cool that evening. It would not have been enjoyable without a jacket.