“Very nice”

The Grand Luau at Honua'ula
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted the #1 Best Luau in South Maui by the Maui News readers' poll, THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA is a must-see, rich, cultural experience! Located at the award-winning Grand Wailea Resort and Spa, this luxurious setting, just steps from the sea, is truly magical!"HONUA'ULA" means "Sacred Lands" and refers to the Grand Luau's physical setting which is surrounded by the rising slopes of Haleakala and the expansive azure blue of the Pacific Ocean. Gather with your friends and family for an event destined to become the highlight of your island visit. Join in a variety of ancient Hawaiian activities and games. Discover a unique treasure at our island handicraft market. Witness the unearthing of the kalua pig from the "imu", our traditional underground oven. Sip tasty tropical drinks from our premium open bar available throughout the evening. Savor our bountiful buffet of regional cuisine with a generous variety to please everyone's palate. Dine comfortably at our intimate tables while viewing the breathtaking sunset and the star-filled skies above. Enjoy our spectacular show as THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA brings to life the ancient stories,songs and dances of the Pacific islands. Feel the genuine touch of Aloha, under the palm trees,caressed by breezes. Experience the GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA and celebrate the true magic of Maui!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We bought our tickets from Costco and the price was right. The luau was fantastic and the setting was beautiful. The open bar was nice, please remember to take cash with you to give gratuities to the awesome bartenders. I am a vegan so I wasn't very impressed with the food, but with that being said, the servers were very willing to find out what the ingredients were in one of the dishes and I appreciated that. The rest of my party loved the fish the most. I believe that it is well worth the price.

1  Thank H L

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Loved this Luau, we have attended the Old Lahaina Luau and the Marriott Luau on previous trips and this was by far our favorite.
The only reason we booked a Luau again is because our kids really wanted to see one. So glad we did as it was one of the kids favorite activities. My nine year old son went up the fire dancer,. after he was done and asked how he did it, just amazed at the entire show.
The only negitive is the line up at 4:15pm to get a seat, I happen to pay for premium seating for our family of 4 but still had to line up and get our seat assignements. Once that is complete you can go back to your room or roam around the resort for an hour before the actual Luau starts. Seems there could be a better way of assigning seats as this is the first Luau we have had to do this. Kind of a pain.
Once checked in they offer you a free shell Lei or a flower Lei for $10 you are then whisked off to get your picture taken which you can pay extra for $20 each picture. They also have vendors set up at the Luau selling Tiki's, jewlery and scuptures. It didn't bother us at all.
Drinks were good, very long line at the start but then they had a waitesses with trays of Mai Tai's and Pina Colodas which was nice so you didn't have to wait in line.
Overall we enjoyed this Luau and would attend again if staying near by.

1  Thank fopcookbook
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I saw this show at the Grand Wailea Resort and were very pleasantly surprised. All the staged Luau shows are a bit contrived, but I was impressed with the quality of the dancing and especially the fire dancing. The format is that the show takes you through the various major island cultures and their traditional dances and songs. Female dancers alternate with male dancers - and in each dance, the dancers wear costumes native to the particular culture. The highlight for me was the fire dancer, who was extremely good.

1  Thank Mohsman
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were a family group with ages ranging from 1 to 70 and everyone had a great time. The grounds are beautiful, nice grassy area overlooking the beach, with lots of room. The second thing I noticed after the beautiful grounds was that the tables were spread out so no one was sitting almost on top of the next person like I have seen at many luaus in Hawaii. They had the bar open when we arrived and you were greeted with either a shell lei or flower lei if you had VIP seats. Flower leis were available for sell if you wanted to purchase one. Pictures were also taken. The drinks were good, not watered down, and you could choose whatever you wanted. Virgin Hawaiian drinks were also available and the children enjoyed them. There were artisans set-up along the fringes with crafts for sell , the wood carving was the best I have seen throughout the islands, and a young woman offering free stamped tatoos, everyone but the baby got one. Hawaii games were played along the opposite fringes. Warning if you have a child that is sensitive don't let them watch the pig being removed from the pit. We saw a close-up and personal view that caused the 4 year old to go meatless. The food was delicious and plentiful. Coffee, tea and desserts were also available and very yummy. High chairs are also available for babies The show started with a hula lesson and everyone was invited to send someone up. Our birthday boy and his 4 year old daughter dance for us. The show was great with some storytelling and some acts I have never seen. Great dance involving a parachute, another with the performer hanging from white drapes attached to a coconut tree and a lot of dancing with fire. Fun evening for all. Valet parking and tip are included in the price.

3  Thank Kathy G
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We enjoyed this more than expected. The food was good and with the open bar you cant go wrong. Make sure you show up a few minutes early to get a descent table. We arrived around 3:40pm and managed a centre table when they stated at 4:00pm the seat selection. Go to Costco (maui airport) if you want to save 30% off the regular prices by purchasing in advance .

6  Thank Skolarchuk1