“Nice way to spend New Year's Eve”

The Grand Luau at Honua'ula
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted the #1 Best Luau in South Maui by the Maui News readers' poll, THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA is a must-see, rich, cultural experience! Located at the award-winning Grand Wailea Resort and Spa, this luxurious setting, just steps from the sea, is truly magical!"HONUA'ULA" means "Sacred Lands" and refers to the Grand Luau's physical setting which is surrounded by the rising slopes of Haleakala and the expansive azure blue of the Pacific Ocean. Gather with your friends and family for an event destined to become the highlight of your island visit. Join in a variety of ancient Hawaiian activities and games. Discover a unique treasure at our island handicraft market. Witness the unearthing of the kalua pig from the "imu", our traditional underground oven. Sip tasty tropical drinks from our premium open bar available throughout the evening. Savor our bountiful buffet of regional cuisine with a generous variety to please everyone's palate. Dine comfortably at our intimate tables while viewing the breathtaking sunset and the star-filled skies above. Enjoy our spectacular show as THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA brings to life the ancient stories,songs and dances of the Pacific islands. Feel the genuine touch of Aloha, under the palm trees,caressed by breezes. Experience the GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA and celebrate the true magic of Maui!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
ohio
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Nice way to spend New Year's Eve”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We enjoyed the show, the fire element and the MC were very nice. The drinks were plentiful, mai tai, pinas as well as beer and wine. The food was ok, the pig they pulled from the ground was not what appeared in the trays which was disappointing. The grounds and view made for a great night.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank plan09

Dothan
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great show!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Though it was a little pricier than some other Luau's the show was superb, and the fire artists were amazing. The food was plentiful, and they had an open bar, which was appreciated.

Visited January 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Excellent food and show”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Delicious food and wonderful show; we would definitely go back again! And you can go for seconds! Wonderful view too.

Visited December 2012
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Lost at the Luau...”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was visiting Maui as a single female... Now I'm an adventure seeker. My intention, when traveling, is to see and do everything that I can - with or without a partner in crime and I often prefer it! It's just me and my plan... I can play, eat, rest, sleep whenever I want and I LOVE that about traveling on my own.

But I am often asked (a LOT), "You're alone?" or "You're just on your own out here?". With a huge smile across my face, I most often say, "Yes!" and I am proud to exclaim it! So when I signed up for The Grand Luau at Honua'ula at the Grand Wailea (through a travel kiosk in Kihei), I was very excited to meet more great people and to see the gorgeous grounds of the Grand Wailea that so many of my friends have raved about. I arrived at the designated 5:15pm time and the line to get in was long (at least 20 minutes). Once I got to the front of the line, I had my reservation ticket in hand to which they looked and directed me to another line. "Um, ok..." So instead of getting my cheesy picture taken with the Hula Girl (which I like to do when traveling alone because it then proves that I was at the said event), I had to go to the next line. They assign me a table number and have me get back into the original line. I would have thought that at this point, they'd just have me escorted to the table instead of awkwardly placing me back into the original line, cutting in front of people (which I think is very rude). I apologize to the people in back of me... Awkward... I finally get to the front of the line again and there's in fact no table number written on the paper! I didn't double check if there had been or not because that was their ONE task to do for me! So guess what? They sent me BACK to the table assignment line! I start to get a little peeved at this point. Again, I don't get to have the picture taken (I've just lost all hope at this point) and I go BACK to the table assignment people. I look the woman square in the eye and say, "Excuse me, but I was not assigned a table number and this is getting a little ridiculous. Please help me, as I am alone here and it's already awkward enough." She sends me over to ANOTHER person to get the table assignment! Ridiculous! I finally get the assignment and they they have a captain escort me to the table. "Ah...", I think to myself, "...Finally I am being treated accordingly...". There seem to be a few seats open (there are jackets on a few seats to 'hold' places). But no other are guests are there yet since they're all in line getting drinks. So he places my number at a place setting and then I get into the drink line... When I come back, some of the other guests are sitting and some are standing around the table. I smile and come to my place setting... One of the couples say, "Oh, these 4 spots are taken. We were told to move our silverware sideways to 'hold' our spot." It's interesting, because I hadn't been told that, nor had I noticed that the silverware was like that when the captain had placed my table number there). I apologize and explain that I was escorted to this table and that the captain had sat me here. So I walk around the table to another "empty" seat. Yet another couple standing there says, "These 5 spots are taken!" Not only were these people incredibly rude to me and not at in the least bit nice, but I felt like I was in High School all over again - being shunned from the "popular" lunch table because I wasn't cool enough. Or in this case, because I was alone. It was the first time on this trip when I lost all of my independent-traveling-single-white-female confidence and felt like an awkward-lonely-loser-traveling-single-white-female...

Let's just say that at this point, I was outraged. I grabbed my belongings and calmly stormed away from the table. I went back to the table assignment line... Again. As calmly as I could, I said, "Look. I'm traveling by myself. I've been dangled in and out of numerous lines this evening only to be seated at a table that is already full. Please help me out here. I would appreciate being treated as someone who is welcomed here, not as the 3rd, 5th, or 27th wheel." I think she finally heard me, as she escorted me, herself, to a front table (which I guess are a bit more expensive). Thank goodness, there was a lovely family from Australia to my right and a wonderful older couple from Canada to my left. I ended up making friends with everyone at the table and later exchanged email addresses and such. This is usually how I roll when traveling and it was a delight.

Other than that whole disaster of a debacle, the show was lovely, the food was pretty good and the grounds were beautiful. The sunset was magical, but that had nothing to do with the Grand Wailea...

Thanks for reading... I'd recommend going with a friend or loved one... ;^)

Visited January 2013
5 Thank Anne S
Calgary
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Beautiful surroundings!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

The grand wailea is just a gorgeous setting. It takes a while to walk through all the plants and boardwalks to get to the beach where the luau takes place. The beach and view of the sunset is fantastic. The Luau was open bar and we took advantage of that, it opens right away and stays open throughout the night. The performance itself wasn't the best Luau I'd been to. I've also attended the Traditional Luau in Lahaina which in my opinion was much higher quality from a dancing perspective. The Lahaina Luau also seemed to have more servers to come around with drinks. The dancers in Lahaina stay after the show for everyone to take pictures with them - this was not done at the Grand Luau. AND in Lahaina they offer everyone a proper Lei of flowers - at the Grand Luau we got shell necklaces. However this show DID have an amazing fire dancer - something I haven't seen before - and a woman did a circ de soleil style high spinning performance from two hanging cloths. Overall a good experience but not the best one in Maui in my opinion.

1 Thank restless1ne