Spa Grande
Ranked #1 of 12 Spas & Wellness in Wailea
More attraction details
Owner description: Spa Grande is located at the Grand Wailea Waldorf Astoria. Spa Grande’s unique theme of ‘East meets West over the Shores of Hawaii’ pampers guests and indulges your senses in an enriching journey to restore harmony to your body & soul. Ensure you arrive at least an hour before your treatment to enjoy the wonders of the world renown Terme hydrotherapy circuit and complimentary full body petit honey & mango exfoliation.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I love spa's and I havenbeen to some great ones. This is by far my favorite. Grande is the appropriate description here. And opulance. Luxury. Crystal chandeliers everywhere, roman statues and pillars, roman style tubs and loungers, a coed lanai overlooking an extraegent fountain and the the sunset, and then those terme baths! Loved the terme baths. Even my husband loved the terme baths!

When you walk in to the ladies only terme baths you are greeted wi th an opulant roman tub and freezing plunge pool under a very large chandelier and roman style chaise lounges. There is also a dry sauna and steam room. You start the terme baths with a cleansing shower. There are five baths with various salts and aromas as well as temps. All salts and scents are hawaiian with each of the 5 major islands represented. You soak in one bath then shower off in your choice of shower before going into the next bath and so on. You can chhose between japenese type showers, two jet showers (small jets. They can hurt so be careful. They will scrub your skin well!), and my favorite the japanese massage shower. Cant remember what it was called. You soak in a individual size round tub with a heavy stream of water falling from the ceiling. Wow did I get a great back massage from this shower!

An overall unique and amazingly indulgent experience. Oh and there was a 5 minute body scrub that was also very nice and there was another jacuzzi tub with very small effervescent bubbles for its jets and and another ice cold plunge pool. It was a bit loud with water plunges and water jets but I found the sounds of the water soothing.

That leads to one of my critiques. I view Spa experiences as quiet, calming, relaxing times. I enjoy a splurge at a 5 star resort now and then and most often experience hushed tones when ladies choose to speak. Not here however. Hush tones are not encouraged or used by staff. The first time I went the spa had more of the feel of a european bath house rather than a spa. Women were talking From across the room, from one room to another, while both using the loud japanese massage shower. Wow. Disappointing.

I went another day for terme baths only from 5 to 7. I knew the terme baths would be drained at 6pm but was told I could use all other facilities until closing at 7. I was one of the only guests at that time so it was serenly quiet. Bliss. Then at 6pm the termes began draining and everything else was also turned off. The wonderful japanese massage shower, the steam room, and the dry suana. I soaked in one of the jacuzzis for a while, took a regular shower and watched the maui sunset on the beautiful coed lanai with my husband. Also, I absolutely loved the mango scented shampoo and lotions. Almost bought a beautiful white plush robe in their cute little boutique but unfortunately they did not have a medium so had to leave for home without it (I really wanted that gorgeous robe) and without the mango lotions as I would have mailed home with the robe.

My husband and I went twice on our vacation and even with the hiccups was still my favorite spa experience and I have been lucky to have some good ones. Highly recommend. And highly encourage staff to implement hushed tones to enhance an already great experience.

5  Thank newlywed0816

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I have enjoyed hot springs and spas around the world. On our recent trip to Maui we decided to spend our last afternoon in the Spa Grande. When booking the massages I told the clerk what type of massage we both preferred and that we didn't care whether it was male or female therapists as long as they were good at what we each wanted.

She put my wife with "Lanya" and me with Guilherme (sp?) or "G". We were both blown away with the massages we received and thought they may have been the best ever. I like firm pressure and she doesn't. We both got exactly what we wanted. We wished we had not waited until the last day because we would have gone back for sure.

The Treme baths were relaxing as well. I wasn't so impressed with the different scented tubs but the waterfall was relaxing and the steam and dry sauna were excellent. My attendant was Nikom and he was very good. There is one point where they give you a loofah scrub. If you've never done this before it may seem a little awkward but we've experienced it before and it was great. Just relax and enjoy it.

It was interesting in the men's side to see some of the younger men there who wore long baggy shorts and then wrapped a towel around those when moving from tub to tub. I can't think of anything feeling worse than baggie shorts when enjoying a hot soak or shower. I was glad when a few men came in who weren't so self-conscious or homophobic or whatever was their issue and enjoyed the spa as it was meant to be. I was beginning to feel out of place.

Our next trip to Maui will definitely include a return to the Spa Grande and hopefully Manya, G, and Nikom will still be around to take care of us.

3  Thank OKC73112
Reviewed April 5, 2014

From the moment you enter the Grand Waileia Hotel and Spa, (in Maui) you are pampered in luxury. Upon entering the Spa, I was treated like Hawaiian Royalty. You have so many choices of how to relax before you begin your individual private treatment. I soaked in a variety of tropical scented hot tubs, traditional icy cold, cool, warm and/or hot whirlpool baths, steam and dry saunas and Japanese style showers and baths. When you hear your name called, you are taken into a private room, where you receive a complimentary loofa scrub and reclining shower of your entire body. I was a little uncomfortable at first because I was asked to take all clothing off. I was told that the front private areas are draped with a towel during the scrub and you have the option of having your back side draped or undraped. This scrub is offered to everyone, to help enhance therapeutic benefits of the various creams and oils that will be used by the technician when you receive your treatment. After the treatments I was given a soothing cup of tea and escorted to the Relaxation Room. When I was ready, (no rush by employees to leave the premises) I went back downstairs to shower and change out of my extra luxurious robe. The dressing room had everything you could image, such as shampoo, condition, body wash, disposable razors, magnifying make-up mirrors, individual pre-packaged combs, hair picks, brushes, blow dryers, curling irons, and flat irons, hairspray, gel/mousse for styling your hair, q-tips, tooth brushes, tooth paste, mouth wash, deodorant, a variety of yummy smelling lotions and body creams and more. I was staying at the hotel for several days, so I choose to schedule my facial, two massages and body wraps 4 days in a row, to take advantage of all the "extras" while my husband golfed. The relaxation room has a direct view of the beautiful pool area and the ocean. So peaceful and serene in there. I rate this facility in my top 3 spa adventures, world wide. The others are at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, NV and at Turnbury Golf Hotel and Spa in Turnbury, Scotland. The Grand Spa was expensive, but so worth it for at least one day.

4  Thank Jan M
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The spa grande is a indulgent experience. The staff is exceptional and will meet your every need/want/desire. Listen closely to your spa attendant as there is correct order to using the baths. The massage staff is one of the best in the world, if you ask for a deep tissue massage that is what you will get! If you have time and the money try booking 2 experiences on the same day, start of with a full massage, arrive an hour early to use the baths, get your massage then back to the baths, after the baths have a lunch (with a great bottle of wine) and then back to spa for a shave or whatever treatment you deserve. Enjoy!

4  Thank jilek5niles
Reviewed March 24, 2014

If you are staying in the Wailea area at all you owe it to yourself to spend some time at this incredible place. I have been to many spas and this is my favorite. You can't go wrong with any of the treatments and the hair salon is awesome also. Be prepared to be pampered and if you are on your honeymoon/anniversary trip book your husband also he will thank you for it!

1  Thank NuclearMamma