“"Best Spa Experience Ever"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Spa Grande

Spa Grande
Ranked #1 of 12 Spas & Wellness in Wailea
More attraction details
Owner description: Spa Grande is located at the Grand Wailea Waldorf Astoria. Spa Grande’s unique theme of ‘East meets West over the Shores of Hawaii’ pampers guests and indulges your senses in an enriching journey to restore harmony to your body & soul. Ensure you arrive at least an hour before your treatment to enjoy the wonders of the world renown Terme hydrotherapy circuit and complimentary full body petit honey & mango exfoliation.
washington dc
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“"Best Spa Experience Ever"”
Reviewed January 30, 2008

I would highly recommend the spa grande at the Grand Wailea. I too scoffed at first at the price of their massages (around $160 for a 50 minute), but after reading recommendation people made on this forum and others, my wife and I went for it.
The fact is that I've had many massages at many spa's but this experience was like no other, ranking in my top 3 if not my number 1.

First thing that you have to consider is that all of their massages come with the spa's hydra therapy, which for me, almost eclipsed the massage itself. The hydrotherapy (terme) treatment which includes an hour in their hot tubs (roman and japanese), hawaiian waterfall showers, their specialty baths (seaweed, mud, aromatherapy, etc.) and the steamroom and sauna. Along with this, you get a loofah which they have you lay on a table under a warm shower and while the attendant uses the loofah sponge to exfoliate your whole body (which makes your skin super smooth and soft and make the massage even better). We're talking luxury and indulgence in a relaxing environment.

I got the lomi-lomi massage (hawaiian specialty) and my wife got the pregnancy massage. We both thought the therapists were top notch. You can request male or female. My therapist paid special attention to my problem spots (neck and knees) and took extra steps to ensure my comfort (wipe oil off my feet before i left; washed her hands of oil before massaging my scalp). I know these are minor things, but I was definitely impressed by the attention to detail.

The staff was great from booking to the farewell.

As far as price is concerned, as I said before the massage price includes the hour of hydrotherapy. The hydrotherapy alone is $85, so basically you're massage ends up being $75 for 50 min (that's how my wife justified it anyway :). Also, if your budget minded, I got a 20 percent discount by doing the "sunset special." Not sure if they run this all the time and I didnt see it anywhere in the literature, but booking 5pm or after qualifies you for the special (at least when we were there mid-january). I guess they dont get as many bookings for that time because people are going to dinner or trying to watch the sunset, but it worked out that I finished my hydra therapy and was waiting on the spa lanai for my therapist right around 6pm and got a few minutes of an awesome sunset.

At any rate, this was a once in a lifetime experience for me and if you're staying at the hotel anyway it makes sense to book at the spa rather than try to save a couple bucks and have to drive elsewhere/ deal with the hassle. I'm confident that it won't disappoint. You can send me a pm if you have any other questions.

5 Thank tjtjtj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Baltimore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“My favorite spa in the entire world!”
Reviewed July 12, 2007

I went here 3 years ago and was shocked at just how beautiful and relaxing the spa was. The tubs are fabulous - so many to choose from! The orchids were extravagant!

I also liked the complimentary mango exfoliation under a vichy shower. My wait for a massage on the lanai overlooking the ocean at sunset - with a glass of watermelon juice - was simply heaven.

Oh! And the massage was great too!

This spa is not to be missed!

4 Thank 1Wanderer2Another
San Diego
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Best Spa Experience”
Reviewed June 29, 2007

While we stayed next door at the Wailea Beach Villas (highly recommend), each member of our family enjoyed a spa treatment at the Spa Grande.

This was the best spa experience I have ever had.

The massage was above average, but the spa facility is extra special.

3 Thank VitoSanDiegoCa
San Jose, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“This is the Ultimate Spa”
Reviewed June 25, 2007

The Spa Grande was amazing! The staff was helpful and friendly. The layout of the spa is good compared to others. They schedule everyone appropriately so the spa is not too crowded. All the pre-treatment amenities are great! Love the hydrotherme, the scrub... and then the view/lounge area where you wait for your treatment. This is the best spa! Hubby and I splurged on the hot lava stone massage. The therapists were great. Couldn't rave about this place more!!!!

3 Thank Woodward85
OKC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Terme Baths & Massage!”
Reviewed January 25, 2007

We traveled to Maui in December staying in a condo right next door to the Grand Wailea Resort & Spa. Upon arrival, we called and made an appointment for the next day at the Spa Grande. The receptionist was very accommodating and was able to book our treatments at the same time. I choose a LomiLomi massage and my wife choose a full facial. The massage was fabulous. The thing I liked best about the entire spa experience was the pre-treatment in the hydrotherapy (Terme) baths. What a treat and very relaxing. The complimentary loofah scrub was a great surprise. Spa Grande is expensive but I would highly recommend booking an afternoon at the Spa while on Maui. Enjoy!

5 Thank soonerbornOK

Been to Spa Grande? Share your experiences!