“The Very Best Spa Anywhere!”
Review of Spa Grande

Spa Grande
Ranked #1 of 12 Spas & Wellness in Wailea
More attraction details
Owner description: Spa Grande is located at the Grand Wailea Waldorf Astoria. Spa Grande’s unique theme of ‘East meets West over the Shores of Hawaii’ pampers guests and indulges your senses in an enriching journey to restore harmony to your body & soul. Ensure you arrive at least an hour before your treatment to enjoy the wonders of the world renown Terme hydrotherapy circuit and complimentary full body petit honey & mango exfoliation.
Vancouver, B.C.
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 689 helpful votes
“The Very Best Spa Anywhere!”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

There are spas, and then there is the Spa Grande. From the moment you arrive, you know that you're in for something special. It all begins with a 'tour" of the women's locker room area, an oasis that hosts their famous Terme baths, waterfall showers, Jacuzzi tubs, steam room and sauna. Plan to spend at least an hour here. Before your technician arrives to wisk you away to your treatment room, a 5 minute complementary body scrub awaits (so think twice about booking a body scrub and get something else instead). It's almost sad to have to leave this heavenly place for your treatment, but you won't be disappointed (and you can always spend more time here later). Like everything else in this spa, the technicians are the best. Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for and while this experience does not come cheap, it's worth every penny, especially if you allow yourself the time to take advantage of the facilities.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank Dalecorp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Waimea, Hawaii
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Terme Wailea Hydrotherapy is AMAZING!”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My husband and I didn't get massages at Spa Grande, but we booked a private hour duo yoga lesson (which was fantastic and very worth the $) and our 2 hour hydrotherapy passes were included. We both enjoyed Spa Grande immensely and highly recommend for any visitor to Maui. Strangely enough, I write reviews all the time and this one escapes me for words - YOU JUST NEED TO DO IT! My favorite part was the 5 specialty baths, with Kaua'i being my favorite tub. Two hours was the perfect amount of time to enjoy the cedar and marble sauna room, Roman whirlpool tub, waterfall massage, Japanese Furo bath, Swiss jet shower, and specialty baths. Highly professional staff and we will definitely return to this world class spa.

Visited May 2011
Hermosa Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very inconsistent”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I had heard such great things about the spa at the Grand Wailea that i decided to splurge and my friend and I went in for a massage. The facilities are truly breathtaking, the bath area is beyond description, just magnificent and it didn't seem very busy, so we had the run of the place. After we spent an hour in the baths and enjoyed the included exfoliation scrub,we went upstairs for our massages. The waiting area had a beautiful view of the fountains, ocean and grounds. After a few minutes our therapists came to get us. My therapist led me into the treatment area past beautiful rooms adorned with flowers and views of the ocean... but he continued to lead me past all of those rooms, then down a small little hallway and into a tiny windowless room barely bigger than a closet. To be fair, the massage was exceptional, it was easily one of the best I have received (his name was Craig and it would be worth asking for him). But when I asked why we weren't in a nice room, he seemed a little embarrassed, but told me that each therapist had an assigned room and that this was his room. He was genuinely apologetic and to be honest, during the massage I completely forgot about the dingy little room. However, after the massage, when he escorted me back to the balcony, we walked past all the beautiful rooms again... they were all still empty! I thought maybe I didn't get a nice room because I wasn't a guest at the hotel, but my friend did get a beautiful room, so I just don't understand why I couldn't get one. So although the facilities are amazing and the massage was superb, I only gave this spa three stars because it felt like I wasn't allowed to enjoy the full spa experience. I would still recommend this spa, but make sure you request a nice room!

Visited April 2011
1 Thank maryh63
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Spa Grande - a great way to end a mid-winter break”
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I scheduled a lomi lomi massage at the Grande Spa at the end of a week on Maui. Having biked a volcano, hiked in a rain forest and had a generally active vacation, I was looking to end the trip with a bit of pure relaxation - and that is exactly what I got. The staff was great- attentive without being cloying, and upbeat without being chirpy. The locker room and toilet areas were very clean, despite the level of use. The pre-massage time spent in the terme was bliss - between the various hydrotherapy pools, plunge pools and back showers I was about ready to skip the massage, I was so relaxed. There was some background noise involved due to the sheer volume of running water involved, but there's no way around that and after a while it became white noise that I didn't really hear. My massage was excellent - very firm, and the masseuse obviously knew her craft well. I did have to ask about changing the music, which she readily agreed to do - if you don't like ask (the fact that it could be changed wasn't volunteered). The post-massage relaxation area overlooking the pool and ocean was a great note to end on. All in all pricey, but priceless.

Visited February 2011
San Diego
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Good Value for $149”
Reviewed January 20, 2011

You do get what you pay for, but I would recommend this inexpensive spa package.

I read about the special in one of the Maui travel magazines. For this price, I received a $25 meal voucher, complimentary valet parking, 5 min exfoliation, use of the common area baths for 60 minutes, and a 50 minute treatment. The resort is beautiful and the scheduling receptionist pleasant. We were able to check-in early to pick up the voucher. Lunch at the bistro afforded a nice view of the pools and ocean. Spa check-in was atypical. There is no robe in the locker. You are to put on a suit or go nude in the 2 hot tubs, steam rooms, and showers, then ask for a robe when ready for your treatment. The attendants were loud and their voices invaded what could have been a tranquil experience. The exfoliation made me feel like a dirty pair of shoes being cleaned. One if the attendants called us in one at a time, had us lay face down on a padded table, quickly rubbed scrub onto the body and then hosed us off, said flip over and sprayed the other side. I suggest that the experience added nothing to my day and should be done away with.

After getting my robe I went upstairs to the outdoor balcony. The view was amazing and the weather perfect. Unfortunately all the magazines were identical and 3 months old. There were no snacks other than warm fruit and ice water or cold tea. The treatment was a nice combination of traditional and Hawaiian massage. My masseuse, David was excellent, but talked during the treatment and distracted me from relaxing. I was not given an eye mask or eye pads when on my back and the sheet covered the center of the head rest and my face was looking at a sheet rather than down at the floor (where some spas place flowers or other interesting objects during face down massage).

This spa offers some teen treatments.

The experience was worth $149, but is definitely not world class. You get what you pay for. If you want to be pampered, check-out the Four Seasons next door for outstanding customer service and unique treatments.

Visited January 2011