“Probably the biggest waste of money I have ever done”

Mandara Spa at the Wailea Marriott
Ranked #9 of 12 Spas & Wellness in Wailea
Reviewed May 13, 2017

Let me start off with the positives.
- Nicely appointed spa.
- Clean bathroom and relaxing area.
- Beautiful location.

However, my experience was very poor. It could come down to one bad therapist, so it may not be a structural problem with the spa. But here is my experience. one thing also put in perspective. I paid $500 dollars for a couple's massage. Let me say that again... $500... for that money you expect the best. This is what I got:
- My therapist had a cold. She was coughing, sniffling, clearing her throat, swallowing phlegm throughout the message. it was extraordinarily distracting.
- I choose a deep tissue massage. My therapist didn't apply any pressure. It was just above weak caressing even though I was explicit what to cover and the type of massage I wanted.
- The front desk staff was curt and hardly sympathetic. Not even an offer to give a discount or recognize the problem.. She just asked for my CC to charge it for $500

Now I should mention that my wife did enjoy her massage, but she was hardly raving. It was a gift and she would be mortified if she found out what we paid vs the service we got. Also, as mentioned already, the spa was nicely appointed. Though it doesn't compare to the SPAs in big hotels in Europe or Asia.

9  Thank JamesGolder

Reviewed April 28, 2017

Lovely spa area with a large selection of quality beauty items to purchase. Very relaxing stone massage, clean changing rooms, attentive staff.

Cristina S, Marketing Director at Mandara Spa at the Wailea Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2017

Thank you for the great review!

At Mandara, we strive to help immerse yourself in a Mandara moment and escape to a temple of relaxation and it seems we have achieved that. Thank you so much and we hope you will be visiting us again soon!

Reviewed February 18, 2017

I enjoyed a traditionally Hawaiian massage while staying at the Wailea Marriott. The service was excellent and the massage was a very relaxing way to start my vacation on Hawaii. Prices are reasonable for a resort location, and the service provided is excellent!

Reviewed February 2, 2017

I was welcomed in, shown around, and I was picked from the waiting room on time. I received the mud wrap. Valerie was great.

I recommend the spa, although I cannot fully recommend doing the mud wrap as I did not see much benefit or relaxation from it.

I hope to go again and get a different service. I really loved the Wailea Marriott as a whole.

Thank you for the great review!

At Mandara, we strive to help immerse yourself in a Mandara moment and escape to a temple of relaxation and it seems we have achieved that. We'd love you to come back and try a different service from our menu. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 30, 2016

As an avid spa goer, I was so anticipating my DAY at "One of the Top 10 Spas in the United States” by both Condé Nast Traveler and Travel & Leisure magazines." First of all, you don't experience a DAY here as you are told what time you may arrive according to your appointment. At all the other spas I've enjoyed, you are free to come & go all day. Arriving 30 min. earlier for my early afternoon facial, I was denied access or I would be charged another $30+ to enter. Not a welcoming reception. In fact, of the 20+ spas I've luxuriated at in Vegas alone, none had that rule. To be fair, their brochure explains: "As our guest you are invited to spend an hour prior to your spa treatment to enjoy the benefits of the terme and a complimentary full-body loofah exfoliation performed by one of our spa termé attendants." However, it should caution their customers that the hour before is all you get. Another oddity: you are given a towel & sandals, which is explained in the FAQ section, but no robe until you are going to your treatment . Even if you finish the lovely water treatments & want to lounge around, you must still wear your towel. Upon seeing an elderly woman trying to cover herself with a damp towel, my friend got a robe for her. She was immediately chastised for her breach of the rule. Hardly relaxing. Post our robing we moved upstairs to the lovely co-ed veranda with an incredible view of the pool & ocean beyond, only to have a drone spying on us. The nonplussed attendants did nothing to stop it. Luckily, my name was called. My facial was good but the overall technique was just average. However, my skin did feel amazing. Afterwards, I was handed my bill while the esthetician stood there as I was computing her tip. Very awkward. Of the numerous spas I've attended, that is handled when checking-out, not with someone hovering. Ah, but the uniqueness continued as I was escorted to the salesroom (she used a euphemistic term which I don't recall that offered no hint of its true purpose), replete with a plethora of products to purchase & offered a seat & glass of water. I was dumbfounded & thought I had inadvertently entered a timeshare shakedown. Really? Is this how my relaxing spa day, oops, hours, were to end? When I informed her that I was not interested, I was allowed to go. Upon leaving the spa, the desk attendant asked what I thought of my facial. Upon telling her that it was good, but have had better, she never inquired as to why. I guess it was a rhetorical question. Now for the positives: the facility is classic looking; the loofa attendant was wonderful & the tea tasty.

4  Thank atlvnv